PDA

View Full Version : Minor annoyance w/ BRIS result charts

DJofSD
02-18-2007, 10:20 AM
This is a minor complaint and I wonder if any one on this BBS knows what is the answer. It has to do with the numbers under the "Odds $1" column found in the BRIS result charts.

Specifically, the values shown only have significant values one place to the right of the decimal point but yet two digits are shown with the hundreths position always a zero (0). Why are the post time odds only given to tenths but yet published with a placeholder of zero in the hundreths position?

Personally, I think all of the dollar amounts on a horse by horse basis should be published for at least the straight pools. Exotics should be available on a D/L basis since it would be of little value to the vast majority of bettors and would be horrendous to put into a human readable form.

cj
02-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Hey DJ,

Some tracks have nickel breakage, like WO and NYRA tracks, thus the extra column is needed.

I wish we could get the actual odds on the live tote. I would love to know at a glance if a 5 to 1 shot is 5.00 to 1 or 5.95 to 1.

DJofSD
02-18-2007, 10:40 AM
OK, cj, I went and looked at yesterdays result from AQU, and, yes, I do see where there are 5's in the hundreths position.

So, these values are what the public uses to compute their horses potential win pay off which includes breakage. Got it.

I'd still like to see actual odds and not factoring in breakage.

Thanks.

JustRalph
02-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I wish we could get the actual odds on the live tote. I would love to know at a glance if a 5 to 1 shot is 5.00 to 1 or 5.95 to 1.

This would be great! This is a great idea. Somebody get on this..........

cj
02-18-2007, 05:06 PM
This would be great! This is a great idea. Somebody get on this..........

I can understand not doing it on track, but on monitors, there is no reason at all not to do it.

banacek
02-18-2007, 05:12 PM
I can understand not doing it on track, but on monitors, there is no reason at all not to do it.

I have seen toteboards that show the win price (e.g. Stampede Park in Calgary, I think). And in Ainslie's Guide to Harness Racing there is a picture of a tote board at Roosevelt Raceway which not only gave the win pay but the minimum and maximum of place and show prices for each horse. But that book is from 1970, would be way too hard to do in 2007.:confused:

DJofSD
02-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Back in the early days of simulcasting in CA, HOL used to have a display on a separate channel that showed the range of potential pay offs for the minor pools. If you were considering a place or show wager you either had to do some quick arithmetic in your head using the tote board or wander around the wagering facility to find a monitor showing this information. Now, if you can get a seat in the theater section of the OTB in DMR, you can switch the channel to see the straight pools -- and you do the math.

This industry has got to be run by the most conservative, computer illiterate, self serving bunch of idiots. There's no excuse for being so far behind the curve when it comes to using modern computer networks and the promulgation of data. Remember, we in CA were told that alternate selections for serial wagers was coming -- two years ago.

/rant off