PDA

View Full Version : On NYRA franchise award...

highnote
02-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Looks like there will be a delay in award the franchise. One article I read said that the only beneficiary of the delay is NYRA.

That reminds me of an old saying... "Possession is nine tenths of the law."

alysheba88
02-17-2007, 10:36 AM
With all the shady dealings its only right they have a delay.

To me they should delay to 2008. Get the Slots and VLT in, have everyone resubmit bids and go from there. Every bid needs to be investigated for political taint

highnote
02-17-2007, 10:41 AM
With all the shady dealings its only right they have a delay.

To me they should delay to 2008. Get the Slots and VLT in, have everyone resubmit bids and go from there. Every bid needs to be investigated for political taint

It is impossible to keep politics out of this. It's going to come down to who has the most power. Whoever wins will be the person/entity with the most power. And whoever wins will have even more power afterwards.

alysheba88
02-17-2007, 10:51 AM
I woudnt be so sure. I think NYRA is 50-50 to win and 80% sure to win if its honest

highnote
02-17-2007, 11:18 PM
I woudnt be so sure. I think NYRA is 50-50 to win and 80% sure to win if its honest

It doesn't matter to me who wins -- I'm just enjoying watching all the jockeying for position.

I wonder if there is anywhere we can bet on who will win the franchise?

Anybody care to post an oddsline? I think it's legal to bet amongst each other as long as no one takes a commission, right?

If you think NYRA is 50-50 would you make the other two parties 25 and 25, or something else?

I think I'd make them all about 2.33-1 and might be willing to lay odds. :jump:

alysheba88
02-20-2007, 08:55 PM
It doesn't matter to me who wins -- I'm just enjoying watching all the jockeying for position.

I wonder if there is anywhere we can bet on who will win the franchise?

Anybody care to post an oddsline? I think it's legal to bet amongst each other as long as no one takes a commission, right?

If you think NYRA is 50-50 would you make the other two parties 25 and 25, or something else?

I think I'd make them all about 2.33-1 and might be willing to lay odds. :jump:

I think they are even money but wouldnt make the line that way

highnote
02-22-2007, 05:35 PM
I'll offer a virtual 4/5 on any of them. Any takers?

highnote
03-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I'll offer a virtual 4/5 on any of them. Any takers?

Headline from Steve Crist article today: "Place your bets on New York's future"

Does he read PA?

If I was a journalist, I could find lots of great ideas for columns here.

Ron
03-02-2007, 12:02 AM
New players now...Capital Play?

http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=206279

highnote
03-02-2007, 12:20 AM
New players now...Capital Play?

http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=206279

Capital Play made a bid last year, but was disqualified on a technicality.

They also wanted to raise takeouts.

From Crist's article:

Horseplayers may find all they need to know about Capital Play's bid on page 51 of its 585-page bid, which proposes a massive increase in takeout on multiple wagers. The vigorish on exactas, currently 17.5 percent, would be increased to 25 percent, while daily double takeout would go from 17.5 to 20 percent and pick six takeout would soar to 30 percent.

I like the fact that they don't have the baggage (that we know of) that some of the other bidders have. Raising takeouts is a big negative for me, though.

Indulto
03-04-2007, 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by alysheba88
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=568102&category=LEBRUN&BCCode=&newsdate=3/3/2007&TextPage=1 (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=568102&category=LEBRUN&BCCode=&newsdate=3/3/2007&TextPage=1)

Spitzer promises a new approachfor thoroughbred racing
By Fred LeBrun

... While the committee held public hearings, the inescapable impression left is that much of the decision making and evaluating that led to Excelsior went on behind closed doors under who knows what special-interest pressures.

That is not the Spitzer way. We should know that by now.

… I have a feeling those bidders who do appear for public scrutiny before Rifkin's panel are going to get grilled like they've never been grilled before. Amen to that, too. The author also quotes Spitzer's scathing assessment of the NYRA in his pre-election report.

highnote
03-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Just read an article by Bill Finley. He suggests that the racing and the slots should be kept separate. He recommends letting the state run the slot parlors and let NYRA, or whoever wins the franchise, run the racing.

A large part of this whole mess is about the slot money. Whoever wins the contract, if racing and slots are combined, will be in the enviable position of having a license to print money.

Let the state run them and that would solve a lot of problems.

Let the state send money to the racing people. Let NYRA do what it does best -- run a racetrack.

And for godsake let the racetracks and OTBs merge into one entity and drop that ridiculous surcharge on OTB winning tickets.