PDA

View Full Version : Spyware sneaks into my computer again!

trying2win
11-03-2002, 01:34 AM
Anybody else have that problem with spyware sneaking into your computer? I've had some spyware infiltrate my computer just recently.

When I started using cable modem awhile ago, I was advised to add a firewall to my computer system. So I did. Being the cheapskate I am at times, I downloaded the free version of ZONE ALARM. Thought I was finished with add-ons. Nope.

I kept getting those annoying banner ads and pop-up ads. So I experimented by downloading and trying a few different pop-up stoppers. None of them worked satisfactorily, until I tried a banner-remover and pop-up stopper called ADDELETE. I tried out the trial version for awhile. It did a super job. So after the free trial period was over, I ordered the full-usage version of ADDELETE and am very happy with that product. Again, I thought I was finished with add-ons. No again.

I came across an article about how certain companies can infiltrate your hard drive with some bug called spyware to collect data about your different website visits. Then it seems these companies collect this data about your websites visits and then sell it to advertisers, or something to that effect. Fortunately, I came across a free utility called AD-AWARE which scans various parts of your computer, like: memory, registry, and hard drive. You can set the parameters for what you want AD-AWARE to scan, then list what spyware types they find and what method of spyware removal you desire (for example list the spyware and remove it manually, or remove it automatically after a scan). What a great product that AD-AWARE!

I do the odd spot check with AD-AWARE, but usually it shows no spyware has been detected. When the spyware usually sneaks through, is when I have to disable my pop-up stopper (i.e. ADDDELTE) in order to use some pop-up toteboards or pop-up menus at some horseracing websites for example. Then some times, when I'm finished with a pop-up toteboard for example, I forget to engage the pop-up stopper ADDELETE again, and I go surfing at various websites. That's when the spyware usually sneaks into my computer.

Tom
11-03-2002, 10:02 AM
If someone broke into your home or place of business and set up listening devices, they would be breaking the law and could go to jail. Why is this not the same crime?
Perhaps if our moronic slime ball leaders would spend a little less time running negative campaigne lies and wasting time and money campaigning all over the palce and actually did the job they were elected to in the fiorst place, we might have computer security and homeland security to boot.
Are you listening W, you putz?????

trying2win
11-03-2002, 03:46 PM
Tom:

You make a very good point in the first paragraph of your reply. I never thought about that comparison before.

ranchwest
11-06-2002, 07:52 AM
If you ran a personal program at your office on their computer, you'd be stealing computer time and they could prosecute. I don't see how spyware is any different.

trying2win
11-06-2002, 02:02 PM
Ranchwest:

I agree. I don't think spyware should be allowed.

When I saw your post, it reminded me to do another spot check with my free spyware removal utility...i.e. Ad-Aware v 5.83 by Lavasoft. Sure enough, there was one of those little spyware components in my computer system again. The computer scan by Ad-Aware only takes 2 or 3 minutes and it automatically removed the latest spyware compenent.

Anybody wanting to find out more about spyware, can read some of the forums at the Lavasoft website or try a search engine like Google.

trying2win
11-14-2002, 06:46 PM
Oops! Just noticed three goofs in my last post about Ad-Aware v 5.83.

They occurred in the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph. The sentence should have read: "The computer scan of Ad-Aware v 5.83 only takes 3 to 4 minutes and it automatically removes the latest spyware components."

Just did another short scan with Ad-Aware v 5.83 today and it found another 3 spyware components that snuck into my computer system and automatically removed them.

I see the issue of privacy and security concerns in conjunction with spyware, has drawn the interest of some pace advantage members. That's good to see.

Anyone interested in obtaining this super utility Ad-Aware v 5.83 for their computer, can download it for free from the following link:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/