PDA

View Full Version : Stopped

OverlayHunter
02-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Chart comments, while very similar, vary from caller to caller. I've noticed the term "stopped" at a track I'm not very familiar with.

Is "stopped" the equivalent of "pulled up"; i.e., the horse totally stopped running or is it a reference to a horse that finishes the race but stops competing/racing per se and sort of slowly crosses the line very, very far behind the field? I'm guessing the former, but I'm not certain.

ryesteve
02-14-2007, 09:23 AM
I think it's just another way of saying that the horse tired badly.

boomman
02-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Overlay Hunter wrote:Is "stopped" the equivalent of "pulled up"; i.e., the horse totally stopped running or is it a reference to a horse that finishes the race but stops competing/racing per se and sort of slowly crosses the line very, very far behind the field? I'm guessing the former, but I'm not certain.

O-H:I am not aware of any chart writers that use "stopped" as another term for pulled up. The only use I've seen of that term in my 30 years is to indicate that a horse tired badly. Boom

eqitec
02-14-2007, 10:18 AM
This comment should be interpreted in the context of the horse's form cycle.
If the horse has several recent races and shows signs of stopping in those, then this "stopped" would be a tired horse.
If the horse is at the beginning of its form cycle (1st or 2nd race back after a layoff or 1st start), then this "stopped" could be interpreted as a "workout in a race" where the horse was sent for a certain distance as a prep for a future race. These can make for juicy payoffs in that future race when the brakes are taken off.
Stopped could also mean a form darkening maneuver by its connections to bulk up the odds for another day. The only way to see this is to know the tactics of the trainers at tracks you play; not an easy task for the recreational player.

socantra
02-14-2007, 11:52 AM
From the Equibase Glossary:

"Stopped -- This term is a description of a horse who gives way suddenly or races forwardly and tires badly."

OverlayHunter
02-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks, all. Greatly appreciated.