PDA

View Full Version : Youbet Becomes a subscription Service

JustRalph
11-02-2002, 11:17 AM
I found this in my email this morning.

Dear Ralph,

As a Youbet.com® member, you've been able to watch and wager on exciting horseracing across the country, with the ability to purchase handicapping information, all online! And because your business is very important to us, we have a special offer for you.

Beginning November 1, 2002, Youbet.com Subscription plans will be going into effect. However, because you are a valuable customer to us, you have been selected to receive the next three months of service for FREE! That's unlimited access to the network, including all the live audio and video you want - a $37.95 value!

Plus, you have the chance to earn wagering credits and extend your FREE service even longer! Wager $350 or more in a month and receive (1) free month's subscription with unlimited A/V! Wager $2,500 or more in 12 months, and you'll receive (1) free year's subscription with Unlimited A/V!

If you wish to choose a plan now, we recommend the following based on your current activity:

• 3 Month Plan-$37.95 for 3 months (Save 15% over monthly plan-$5.90!)
• 6 Month Plan-$71.50 for 6 months (Save 20% over month-to-month plan-$17.75!)
• 12 Month Plan-$133.95 for 12 months (Save 25% over month-to-month plan-$43.45!)

For detailed subscription plan information, please log into Members Only, select "Account Manager" and then select "Subscription Plan".

We look forward to continue bringing you all the best in online horseracing, including great product features, access to over 80 tracks, up-to-the-minute odds, complete race programs and great handicapping tools.

Our Member Services representatives are available seven days a week from 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. ET, to assist you with selecting the plan that's right for you. Just call 1-888-YOUBET8 (1-888-968-2388).

Sincerely,

Member Services
Youbet.com

rrbauer
11-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Not as good as "free", but IMHO, a fair deal considering the quality of their streaming video (if you have a broadband connection) and their "bettor friendly" bet entry process.

JustRalph
11-02-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by rrbauer
Not as good as "free", but IMHO, a fair deal considering the quality of their streaming video (if you have a broadband connection) and their "bettor friendly" bet entry process.

I expected much worse. After the survey they sent me a few months ago I expected a higher price. It won't run me off. I put enough through for the free stuff anyway. Most of the time.

Tom
11-02-2002, 11:34 AM
Considering their past record of complete ineptitude and when it comes to delivering a product, I thought free was a fair price for YouBet. $37 someting for three months. No thanks. Good bye You Bet You Suck.

GR1@HTR
11-02-2002, 11:40 AM
As a Youbet.com® member, you've been able to watch and wager on exciting horseracing across the country, with the ability to purchase handicapping information, all online! And because your business is very important to us, we have a special offer for you.

Beginning November 1, 2002, Youbet.com subscription plans will be going into effect. However, because you are a valuable customer to us, you have been selected to receive the next six months of service for FREE! That's unlimited access to the network, including all the live audio and video you want - a $71.50 value!

Plus, you have the chance to earn wagering credits and extend your FREE service even longer! Wager $350 or more in a month and receive (1) free month's subscription with unlimited A/V! Wager $2,500 or more in 12 months, and you'll receive (1) free year's subscription with Unlimited A/V!

We look forward to continue bringing you all the best in online horseracing, including great product features, access to over 80 tracks, up-to-the-minute odds, complete race programs and great handicapping tools.

Our Member Services representatives are available seven days a week from 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. ET, to assist you with selecting the plan that's right for you. Just call 1-888-YOUBET8 (1-888-968-2388).

Tom
11-02-2002, 01:04 PM
I have a brand new message today.
Aqu - 2 races completed
Audio/video re-started 7 times due to freeze ups.
Number total races watched, gate to wire with out a freeze-up=0
Their message to me is clear.

linrom1
11-02-2002, 01:23 PM
I think this is steal. Wager $350/month and its free......about time I think. Too many freeloaders effecting quality of video anyway.

Larry Hamilton
11-02-2002, 01:36 PM
agree with both. But if I pay more, bet more, or whatever more and the quality remains as Tom describes, I am going to feel foolish with a year subscription! Besides, I have been a member since they opened, I got no email. They must be ready to dump me.

JustRalph
11-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by GR1

However, because you are a valuable customer to us, you have been selected to receive the next six months of service for FREE! That's unlimited access to the network, including all the live audio and video you want - a $71.50 value!

Looks Like I will have to call and demand the same deal my buddy received. I am moving next week to Ca and I think I will wait until the DSL is hooked up, before I bitch.

GameTheory
11-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Interesting. All the other services are falling over themselves trying to make their service free, and now YouBet is charging again. (When they first started it was $5 bucks a month, wasn't it?) I don't use YouBet -- is it still set-up the same way where they are just an interface and the betting accounts are with someone else?

BTW, Tom -- some percentage of "freeze-ups" are caused by your computer (being too slow) or just by internet traffic over which a provider has no control whatsoever. The rest are caused by underpowered servers on their end.

I've got two computers here, both with the same bandwidth, but the older one has trouble keeping up -- usually gotta watch the 56K or 128K feed with that one or it freezes quite often. 300k looks great on the newer machine...

Tom
11-02-2002, 02:02 PM
I only get 1 month!
They are very consistent with their customers, aren' they?
============================================
Beginning November 1, 2002, Youbet.com subscription plans will be going into effect. However, because you are a valuable customer to us, you have been selected to receive the next month of service for FREE! That's unlimited access to the network, including all the live audio video you want - a $14.95 value!

JimG
11-02-2002, 02:04 PM
They gave me 3 months of free video. Must be based on how much you bet. I use brisbet as well.

Anyhow my video has been great with broadband and I will keep using.

Jim

PaceAdvantage
11-02-2002, 02:27 PM
I got 3 months free as well...it must be tied to how much you have bet with them lately....

I will GLADLY pay to use YouBet. I have tried and/or have seen a few other online betting outlets, and they can't hold a candle to YouBet's setup....

I don't have any of the video troubles that Tom is having....I used to have these kinds of troubles, but that was about 1-2 years ago.

==PA

Derek2U
11-02-2002, 02:33 PM
I think the Tom... ratings are useless. Any thoughts on them?

Tom
11-02-2002, 03:27 PM
I don't have hardly any video problems with any other web site.BrisBet's video always flows smooth, but it is SO small, you can't see it. I kept YouBet becasue they offered video and betting on the same setup, and they offered NYRA.
I guess not betting NYRA would be no loss at all. I would like to be able to bet and watch on the same page, but I guess that's not a possibility. I always though You Bet had the most promise, but then Zippy chippy had promise once, too. <G>
But now I am spoiled - after net-bets, I will NEVER settle for actually going to the track again. I would rather mow the lawn.
Oh well, four more weeks then good bye.

GR1@HTR
11-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Well, looks like you just have to average putting throught $12/day to get free video. That isn't too difficult...

Larry Hamilton
11-02-2002, 06:33 PM
I agree about the 350 bucks..nothing to it..but I went to the member area and selected that..none of the damn buttons register anything...

azmike
11-02-2002, 11:26 PM
I also got the email. No problem. I'll take the free months but based on the amounts required to be bet it will continue to be free for me anyway.

I think YouBet is excellent. No complaints here

trying2win
11-03-2002, 12:40 AM
Has anyone tried using EBETUSA.COM?

I know they have a few drawbacks, like they don't cover as many tracks overall as YOUBET.COM and they only cover some tracks for part of their weekly racing schedule. But, for me they cover enough tracks on their weekly schedule that I like playing in the USA. With the EBETUSA coverage and my local Canadian T.A.B. ACCOUNT, that givies me enough tracks to choose from.

EBETUSA has no service fees or charges and they have live video of many of the tracks they cover every day. Plus they have excellent customer service.

EBETUSA told me the other day, they were planning to add more tracks in the future. I'll have to e-mail them back and ask when.

I know there are other betting services in the USA that cover more racetracks, but EBETUSA is the only one I know of that allows Canadians to set up an American dollar account. I'm guessing that has to do with different state laws in regards to internet betting.

Did you notice I didn't use eh? at the end of any of my sentences. Allegedly Canadians have a habit of doing that, according to some people. Okay, I confess I do it once in awhile, eh?

MarylandPaul@HSH
11-03-2002, 11:59 PM
I've been with YouBet for some time now, and I'll probably stick with them since I'll hit their minimums for free service. The only problem I have with their service is that it's a royal pain to switch between TotalAccess and CallaBet accounts when you're trying to get something in with a minute or two to post. If you're trying to follow a dozen tracks at a time, the constant account changing makes it difficult.

They're not perfect, but they're not offshore, so I feel a bit more secure about my money. And, they're support has been prompt and helpful when I've needed them.

MP

GR1@HTR
11-04-2002, 04:51 PM
http://www.cafeshops.com/youbet

Tom
11-04-2002, 06:24 PM
Gee, I'd love to buy a YouoBet hat, but if their video capability is any reflection on their other products, it would probably keep falling off and I would have to put it back on 20-30 times a day!
<G>

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2002, 07:11 PM
Jeez, looks like they could have cut down on the subscription price if they would have decided to not put their image on everything under the sun!!! I mean, come ON, a LUNCHBOX???

==PA

GR1@HTR
11-04-2002, 07:32 PM
Yeah, the lunchbox was great huh? How bout slugging that thing around in Jr. High while the rest of the boys are supporting the fantastic four and the incredible hulk!

Tom
11-04-2002, 10:58 PM
HeHeHe.
I like you, GR1 <G>

GameTheory
11-05-2002, 01:08 AM
Don't laugh -- those lunchboxes are hot items. I'm actually opening a side business with CafePress selling that stuff. Nobody buys them for lunch -- they put tools & household stuff in them. It is all printed on demand, so it doesn't cost them (youbet) anything to put it on a lunchbox or anything else.

However, why anyone would buy something with some corporate logo I don't know.

azmike
11-05-2002, 02:15 AM
<<It is all printed on demand, so it doesn't cost them (youbet) anything to put it on a lunchbox or anything else.>>

I think that is a good thing for us. I want Youbet to succeed and if this generates revenue all the better. I am not interested in these items but I hope others might be;)

GameTheory
11-05-2002, 04:47 AM
Hmmm...

I was just noticing their prices on that stuff -- most of it has no mark-up. (i.e. no profit for them)