PDA

View Full Version : Who Said That? Name that Quote

bigmack
02-12-2007, 02:26 PM
"I don't think you can print this, but I think he's sexy"

"You can't do a thing with him, you just have to allow him to run his own race, at his own speed, in his own style in the first quarter or maybe the first three eighths. And you just sit there and wait, hoping you won't have to wait too long, because when he really gets going you have to be alert or he might just leave you behind—and then you hold on for dear life."

"The greatest horse to ever look through a bridle"

"The horse, the horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action, in man"

"I can make a General in five minutes but a good horse is hard to replace"

"I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"

OTM Al
02-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Found a couple (yes very bored at work today...)

3. Bud Delp about Spectacular Bid
4. Author D.H. Lawrence
5. Abraham Lincoln
6. Ronald Reagan

bigmack
02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Found a couple (yes very bored at work today...)

3. Bud Delp about Spectacular Bid
4. Author D.H. Lawrence
5. Abraham Lincoln
6. Ronald Reagan
Dag nabbit Al. This damn internet is spoiling the minds of today. Much like calculators did.

Hey, did you stop by the Bellagio and have the buffet when you were in V?

OTM Al
02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I found #2 as well, but we'll leave that go for someone else.

In Vegas I did my buffet action for breakfast only (generally don't eat much for lunch and they gave us coupons for free food anyway) and that was at Ballys. Went to Cheesecake Factory and Chinois in Caeser's (both very good) for dinners. The waitress actually chastised me for not being an experienced buffet person, which means I guess that I didn't sit there for 4 hours gourging myself. I ate much more than normal though. It was tasty!

Walked by Bellagio, but never went in.

Premier Turf Club
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
"You can't do a thing with him, you just have to allow him to run his own race, at his own speed, in his own style in the first quarter or maybe the first three eighths. And you just sit there and wait, hoping you won't have to wait too long, because when he really gets going you have to be alert or he might just leave you behind—and then you hold on for dear life."

Bill Shoemaker about Silky Sullivan.

bigmack
02-12-2007, 03:19 PM
IThe waitress actually chastised me for not being an experienced buffet person, which means I guess that I didn't sit there for 4 hours gourging myself. I ate much more than normal though. It was tasty!

It's my contention that buffets should charge by the pound. Simply weigh people before they enter, offer no rest rooms, and weigh them upon exiting and they pay like $4 for every lb they gained :lol:

That'll stop the 4 hour sits with a Samoan family of 8.
Bill Shoemaker about Silky Sullivan.
Nicely done Ian

OTM Al
02-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah.....reminds me of a guy in college we used to bust on because how much he could put down in one sitting. We would tell him the next time he would go to an all-you-can-eat that the manager would come out and offer him the most expensive entree on the menu for free because it would save the restaurant money....good times and as I write this I realize it was almost 20 years ago. Where does the time go

the Bid
02-14-2007, 10:18 AM
1 Penny Chenery on Secretariat
6. Winston Churchill

boomman
02-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Al wrote

Yeah.....reminds me of a guy in college we used to bust on because how much he could put down in one sitting. We would tell him the next time he would go to an all-you-can-eat that the manager would come out and offer him the most expensive entree on the menu for free because it would save the restaurant money....good times and as I write this I realize it was almost 20 years ago. Where does the time go

Al: Reminds me of the guy who ate 2700 popcorn shrimp in one sitting at a restaurant in South Carolina then won his court case after the owner had thrown him out! :D LOL Boom

bigmack
02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
1 Penny Chenery on Secretariat
6. Winston Churchill
Right you are on the Secretariat quote. The inside/out horse line as was pointed out by Reverend OTM Al was attributed to RWReagan though I've also seen it ascribed to Will Rogers. (Not the one from Lost in Space)

Al: Reminds me of the guy who ate 2700 popcorn shrimp in one sitting at a restaurant in South Carolina then won his court case after the owner had thrown him out! LOL Boom
Or like the Baltimore shot film Diner when the large fellow ate the entire left side of the menu

Here’s a few more.

“He's good enough for me. I won't say he's a superhorse because you're never a superhorse until you're retired. Any horse can be beaten on any given day.”

“When a jockey retires, he just becomes another little man.”

“The spirited horse, which will try to win the race of its own accord, will run even faster if encouraged”

“It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse races”

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

In every bet there is a fool and a thief.

"Gambling is a pre-emptive attack on fate."

maxwell
02-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I like this one:

For the want of a nail, the shoe was lost.
For the want of a shoe, the horse was lost.
For the want of a horse, the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

I think I got it right?

And the author?

PlanB
02-14-2007, 06:14 PM
LOL I have no clue who said that but it's brilliant.

bigmack
02-14-2007, 07:12 PM
I like this one:

I think I got it right?

And the author?
One of the greats max.

http://www.estatevaults.com/lm/%20%20Benjamin%20Franklin%20life%20mask.jpg
Life mask of BF

Overlay
02-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Right you are on the Secretariat quote. The inside/out horse line as was pointed out by Reverend OTM Al was attributed to RWReagan though I've also seen it ascribed to Will Rogers. (Not the one from Lost in Space)
I think you meant "Will Robinson" on the "Lost in Space" reference (although Will Rogers was the person you were referring to in connection with the quote). (I'm trying to picture Billy Mumy twirling a lariat.)

“It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse races”
Mark Twain

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."
W. C. Fields

"The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Damon Runyan (The quote that I used to start my Master's thesis (a statistical analysis comparing public betting patterns with the morning line at the former Quad City Downs in East Moline, Illinois))

Overlay
02-14-2007, 07:25 PM

Ben Franklin

bigmack
02-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Damon Runyan (The quote that I used to start my Master's thesis (a statistical analysis comparing public betting patterns with the morning line at the former Quad City Downs in East Moline, Illinois))
I've compared my degree of astonishment between my foible of confusing Will Rogers for Will Robinson against someone obtaining a Masters degree from a thesis on a statistical analysis comparing public betting patterns with the morning line at the former Quad City Downs in East Moline, Illinois and it came in favor of the latter.

I gotta hand it to ya O'lay, that's one thesis I'd love to read. Great stuff. :)

Premier Turf Club
02-14-2007, 08:11 PM
One of the greats max.

http://www.estatevaults.com/lm/%20%20Benjamin%20Franklin%20life%20mask.jpg
Life mask of BF

Geez, I kept thinking that mask looked like Bobby Frankel. Wrong BF I guess.

betchatoo
02-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Actually the poem: "For the want of a nail," has middle English beginnings with the earliest written version put down by John Gower in 1390.

maxwell
02-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I think it was called, "My Kingdom For A Horse" ?

BF is right. Frankel does look a bit like him!

betchatoo
02-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I think it was called, "My Kingdom For A Horse" ?

BF is right. Frankel does look a bit like him!

"My kingdom for a horse,": is a line from Shakespeare's, Richard III. Sometimes the embarrassing fact that I was an English major just come pouring out of me.

ldiatone
02-15-2007, 09:44 AM
yo
going out to vegas tomorrow. really like the aladdins buffet. going at least twice. i can't figure out how some people can put that food away. at breakfast, i can get down a omelette and fruit and some bacon , than i'm done. at dinner 1 slice of prime rib and some sides and salad and i'm again done. this food is rich. how do they do it?
ldiatone
ps have reservations for Guy Savoys place at caesars., Wife keeps telling me
"that's our $1000.00 meal"
ldiatone