PDA

View Full Version : Extend PC access with remote keyboard, etc

rrbauer
02-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Seeing the thread about the HP touchscreen in the kitchen got me thinking about how I could leverage my current setup in a couple ways.

Ideally, I would like to have access to my desktop PC that is in a basement rec room (referred to in these parts as "the dungeon") from other parts of the house. I do have a laptop with a wireless pcmia card for internet access on that machine...my wife uses that from her study on the main floor. I define "access" as having a keyboard, mouse and lcd monitor connected wirelessly to the desktop machine that would allow me to have connectivity to and control of the machine from say the kitchen or a bedroom...wherever the keyboard, etc., happened to be located at.

If a wireless solution isn't possible, I do have the house wired throughout with spare cat-5 wiring from a patch panel on the main floor to all of the rooms including the basement. So I could do some kind of wired solution via the patch panel.

Any thoughts on how I might approach this?

Thanks!

Ron
02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
It would probably be easier and cheaper to get a cheap laptop with wireless access and remote desktop to the pc.

rrbauer
02-12-2007, 02:46 PM
It would probably be easier and cheaper to get a cheap laptop with wireless access and remote desktop to the pc.

I think you're referring to a software solution from the laptop, right?

I've never used anything llike that....what's anyone's experience using it?

Maybe a good link to a vendor's site......