PDA

View Full Version : Frank Stonach's Retirement Plan

karlskorner
02-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Portions of an article by Bill Finley for ESPN, entire article can be found at www.handicapping.com (over on the right)

"Frank Stronach is known for being a demanding, profit-driven businessman, which doesn't exactly conjure images of compassion or warmth. But there's obviously a soft side to the owner, breeder and racetrack operator buried somewhere beneath the tough veneer. He is someone who cares about the animal and is determined to do the right thing by his horses once they are done racing. To be owned by Frank Stronach all but gurantees a horse a safe, happy and healthy retirement.
Taking care of their retirees is a major priority for the Stronach family, said Mike Rodgers, the business manager for Stronach's Adena Springs breeding operation. This is something that is not financially beneficial to anyone. It is all about the love of the animal, caring for the animal and believing that you have a responsibility to them.
The Stonachs have always been interested in the welfare of retirees, which includes hundreds of horses who have either been gelded or have not done well enough on the racetrack to become sires, they have taken extraordinary strides to see that no Stronach-owned horse is neglected or sent to slaughter once their racing careers are over.
Stronach races some of the most talented and best bred horses in the world, but not everyone of his horses is a success story. Those who have injuries that preclude them from racing or those who simply aren't cutting it on the racetrack won't be allowed to slip through the cracks or slide down a slippery slope that too often leads to the slaughterhouse.
Some might argue that Stronach can afford to do this. But so can a lot of others in horse racing and FEW do." (end)

PaceAdvantage
02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't think anybody ever said Stronach was the devil.....it's just that his racetracks aren't really benefiting all that much from his ownership. He was painted as somewhat of a savior to the industry early on....

With that said, BRAVO to Stronach for his dedication to his horses after they are finished racing. His actions are to be applauded!

karlskorner
02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
In a year or more you may have to put up that Magna graph again to see how he is doing. Sat/Sun you couldn't move with the number of people at GP, agreed mostly "snowbirds", but they love the track.

JimG
02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
In a year or more you may have to put up that Magna graph again to see how he is doing. Sat/Sun you couldn't move with the number of people at GP, agreed mostly "snowbirds", but they love the track.

karlskorner,

Is their anything Stronach has done at Gulfstream that you do not like?

karlskorner
02-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Well one thing I am not happy with, as you may remember from past posts over the years, I love Clam Chowder. Last year they served an "excellent" BOSTOM CLAM CHOWDER, however, due to converting the south first floor in to additional "slots" and poker room they have eliminated the counter where it was being served. I can't explain the feeling I get as I park and look up at the building and say to myself "damn, thats beautiful", I just know I am going to have a great day.

kenwoodallpromos
02-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I think it is nice of Stronach to get credit for his 4 years of helping retirees and it was nice of Rockefeller top give dimes to poor kids.
The only thing I do not like about the article is the way it says many are going to slaughter and slanted to sound like few others are doing the same thing. The writer could have done a little more research and mentioned many other owners who are helping their retirees. That way it would not sound as much like a PR piece to make you think Stronach wants to build a more positive reputation.

kenwoodallpromos
02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
"Some might argue that Stronach can afford to do this. But so can a lot of others in horse racing and few do. Horses who wind up in the slaughterhouses may come directly from some of the sport's lower-tier tracks but a lot of them once raced at places like Santa Anita,"
Isn't it interesting that one of the tracks mentioned where "a lot" of kill buyers get their TBred racers for slaughter from is Santa Anita! Owned by Frank Stronach!
Why doesn't he solicit a promise from anyone entering a horse there that they will not send their racers to the slaughterhouse? I have heard that a few hundred of the US slaughter horses are from tracks. I wonder how many of the TBreds who get it in TX come from the Stronach Lone Star track? 42 total horses adopted out in 4 years? I'm just wondering if Stronach wil be able to begin thinking of even better ways to help the horses in the future.

crownx
02-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Fluff piece!

I agree if MEC wanted to stop the practice then they would start track retirement funds, say $5 per race entered and make owners and trainers sign "no kill" contracts to run.

point given
02-13-2007, 12:00 AM

I was on track both days and it was not that crowded. I was there on Donn Day as well and that day it WAS crowded. Saturdays are the crowded days in the 10 palms dining room though, but sunday was about half empty. I can't explain your puff reports, except to think that you are a shill for Magna. The facility is on the small side with an apron which is about half the size of a normal track. The reserved seating doesnot have enough leg room so that one must stand up everytime someone has to pass. Try that with elderly people, people with canes and walkers etc. Very poor planning. The employees also donot enforce the track policy of not letting people stand on the staircases so if you are in a seat, you are often blocked from following the race with your binoculars, so one resorts to view the video screen. Imagine going to a ball game and not seeing the live game, but watching on the video screen. I miss the roar of the crowd. AND if you can picture this , 90% of people trackside are all watching the video screen because they can't view the live race ! Imagine a Times square crowd viewing the large video screen on top of the building as the event is right in front of them. The only thing i saw was the polite applause for Invasor upon returning to the winners circle last week.

However; I did break my maiden last weekend as a friend of a friend had a nice winner and got in the winners circle photo. I also sat behind Kieran Mc for Jazils race and in front of Matz and cot Cambell for a few races. SO, I guess you shouldnot believe me instead of homer Karl. :D