PDA

View Full Version : Wild Time at NYC OTB

Milleruszk
02-08-2007, 12:24 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02082007/sports/otb_fixes_machine_that_gave_free_bets_sports_ed_fo untaine.htm

I probably would still have lost! LOL

jotb
02-08-2007, 02:41 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02082007/sports/otb_fixes_machine_that_gave_free_bets_sports_ed_fo untaine.htm

I probably would still have lost! LOL

Hello Milleruszk:

Wow! I could only imagine what those gamblers were doing there. I spent a quarter of a century in that branch. I spent many days in that branch with a friend of mine by the name of Tony Sirico who plays Paulie on the Sopranos. It was always a wild OTB parlor over the years. Too bad the players couldn't cash in.

Joe

Milleruszk
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I like the one guy who ran away when they questioned his "winning" ticket.

NY BRED
02-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Hello Milleruszk:

Wow! I could only imagine what those gamblers were doing there. I spent a quarter of a century in that branch. I spent many days in that branch with a friend of mine by the name of Tony Sirico who plays Paulie on the Sopranos. It was always a wild OTB parlor over the years. Too bad the players couldn't cash in.

Joe

i was born in Brooklyn, rarely get to return

is that otb near 65th st?

boomman
02-24-2007, 09:41 AM
What this reminds me of, is guys standing by a self wagering machine waiting on somebody to leave a REAL voucher in the machine, then racing to the windows to cash it before the guy can alert the tote room! Kind of the modern day version of "stooping"! My buddy had a $146 voucher in a machine last summer at Del Mar, walked a few steps over to take a sip of his beer and when he literally turned right around, it was gone! He then practically RAN to the tote room to report it, only to find that it had been cashed before he even made it down the stairs!

Boomer

jotb
02-24-2007, 03:39 PM
i was born in Brooklyn, rarely get to return

is that otb near 65th st?

Yes. The OTB is between 67th and 68th street on Bay Parkway.

Joe

boomman
02-25-2007, 10:53 AM
And no sooner did I tell you the above story that I saw this one from the North County times in Southern California: (On the home page today as part of the Mike Willman story)

Handicapper Bob Ike reported in a recent blog that a trainer lost a $27,000 voucher in a betting machine at Santa Anita. Name of the trainer: Julio Canani.

Yikes! That is a NASTY example!!

Boomer

andicap
02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Jeez, I'm more impressed that JOTB is friends with Paulie -- I LOVE that character. One thing I really appreciate about The Sopranos is how many of the actors really might be found at an OTB or the track. Michael Imperioli does TV ads for the NTRA I believe.

Man, who wouldn't want to spend a day at the track with those guys!

I can't believe racing or NYRA hasn't done more to incorporate the show or the stars into a promotional campaign. Or maybe they've tried, I don't know.
What a great campaign they could fashion with them.

If racing was REALLY smart they would hire of couple of the bigger names -- Tony and Michael maybe -- and use them as goodwill ambassadors to get people interested in the sport.

At least in the New York area, the Sopranos cast is a HUGE name.

NY BRED
02-25-2007, 02:37 PM
one question JOTB:

If i'm not mistaken the dance studio utilized in Saturday Night Fever
was several blocks away from that otb.

If I'm correct, Jaymar lanes formerly occupied that spot, would
appreciate your advice.

thanks

NY BRED
02-25-2007, 03:35 PM
did you happen to catch Inside racing this week?

the show covered Winning Move Stable and some discussions relative
to "paulie's" big horse and their's in a recent matchup

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I can't believe racing or NYRA hasn't done more to incorporate the show or the stars into a promotional campaign.

NYRA can barely keep the show going financially, how are they supposed to pay some big name actors to star in some TV commercial?

Welcome to NY racing circa 2007....thanks to a faulty business model created in the 1950s and an overzealous Attorney General, now Governor.

Milleruszk
02-25-2007, 08:35 PM
And considering the political climate right now the last thing that NYRA needs is any association with gangsters.......... fictitious or otherwise! :lol:

Indulto
02-25-2007, 09:40 PM
NYRA can barely keep the show going financially, how are they supposed to pay some big name actors to star in some TV commercial?

Welcome to NY racing circa 2007....thanks to a faulty business model created in the 1950s and an overzealous Attorney General, now Governor.I'm not sure where you're going with this.

The Pataki administration was more harmful to the NYRA than Spitzer's is likely to be. Whether or not Spitzer's actions as AG toward the NYRA were justified, NYRA was headed for confrontation and sabotoge as soon as slots became part of the equation. I suspect something was lost when Schwartz departed, but the organization is probably stronger now with Hayward there and the executive targeted by Spitzer gone.

As to the teller stings and convictions, there is no defense against law-breaking for profit. The Baeza tragedy would appear to fall at Hayward's door more than Spitzer's. New Yorkers I've talked with who are not racing fans think Spitzer was right to get rid of potential for further corruption prior to installing slots,

Given all the support I've seen here for improvements in cotrolling the game's integrity, I'd have thought there'd be less criticism of Spitzer until he proves he's the NYRA's problem as governor. And wouldn't you want him to prove they don't own the land if, in fact, they don't?

PaceAdvantage
02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
As to the teller stings and convictions, there is no defense against law-breaking for profit.

Of course there's no defense, and I have no problem whatsoever with the arrest and conviction of every lawbreaking teller at NYRA.

But, to indict the entire organization over some cheating tellers (which is what originally happened) was uncalled for. And to hear Spitzer criticize the Bush administration for indicting the entire Arthur Anderson company for the Enron fiasco (on CNBC he called it an unnecessary, extreme move that put a lot of people out of work) was the biggest joke of all.

jotb
02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
one question JOTB:

If i'm not mistaken the dance studio utilized in Saturday Night Fever
was several blocks away from that otb.

If I'm correct, Jaymar lanes formerly occupied that spot, would
appreciate your advice.

thanks

The dance studio was right off the corner of West 7th street and Bay Pkwy and the OTB is right around the corner. Funny but I used to bowl there when I was a kid but Jaymar lanes was on 59th street between 23rd ave and Bay Parkway and was not where the dance studio was.

Joe

Indulto
02-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Of course there's no defense, and I have no problem whatsoever with the arrest and conviction of every lawbreaking teller at NYRA.

But, to indict the entire organization over some cheating tellers (which is what originally happened) was uncalled for. And to hear Spitzer criticize the Bush administration for indicting the entire Arthur Anderson company for the Enron fiasco (on CNBC he called it an unnecessary, extreme move that put a lot of people out of work) was the biggest joke of all.OK, at least now I understand your trying to extend the scope of alleged overzealousness, but as I can't bear to re-read another long PDF, you may want to review the original indictment and subsequent NYRA response. I think they were investigating more than just the tellers.

And you may well be right about about the securities-related aspect. Keep us posted.

Forego
02-28-2007, 02:03 PM
did you happen to catch Inside racing this week?

the show covered Winning Move Stable and some discussions relative
to "paulie's" big horse and their's in a recent matchup

The NY-breds have put together a half-hour informational show on how to get into the business as a Breeder and/or an Owner. Two of the people featured in that show are Tony Sirico (who plays Paulie) and Michael Imperioli (who plays Christopher).