PDA

View Full Version : Simulcasting

BIG RED
02-07-2007, 05:13 AM
Any one know who, where and when simulcasting came about?

I remember when they used to have like one or two races beamed in to make up a 12 race card. Of course, the triple crown races. But does any one know when the first track went full simulcasting, several 'extra' tracks at same time? I guess the year I'm more interested in.

levinmpa
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
It certainly didn't begin in California. Here it is 2007, and you still can't wager on a full card from an out-of-state trackin Cali. They have some ridiculous rule that limits simulcast races to 42 per day, so you get spoon fed a few races here and there from various circuits. I know that Pennsylvania had full card simulcasting in the 80's between Philly and Penn Nat. I am going to guess it began around '84 or '85. I'm not sure when they started taking out of state cards. I worked in Nevada in the 80's and early 90's. They didn't start getting live video until about 1985. It was all audio race recreations prior to that.

njcurveball
02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
From what I recall, it started with the Meadowlands meet in 1984 being simulcast to other NJ tracks. Before then they could take a race or two at a live meet, but the pools would be separate.

BIG RED
02-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Yes, the pools were also separate at Suffolk. I liked that, as a win bettor, you could 'shop' for the best price. I'm guessing mid 80s also, but don't know.

startngate
02-07-2007, 10:19 PM
The Interstate Horse Racing Act was passed in 1978.

New York OTB's took the Derby in 1971 without permission from Churchill. Not sure of anything happening before then.

Paging
02-08-2007, 02:55 AM
I thought it started in Caliente long before the US?

BlueShoe
02-08-2007, 01:12 PM
California started out allowing betting between SoCal and NoCal in 85 or 86 and went to full simulcasting in 1988.Earlier post mentioned 43 races into the state;wish that was so.The screwball rule is 23 races a day from out of state.Exceptions can be made on stake races,so on busy Saturdays the 23 race rule is often greatly exceeded.The practice of giving us chopped up cards continues.This poster is strongly annoyed at this nonsense of perhaps giving us races 4-9 from Aqueduct,races 3-9 Gulfstream,1-4 Turfway,and so on.An odd exception is that for some reason Canadian races do not count toward the 23 race rule.In the spring and summer along with US races we will get Woodbine,Fort Erie,Northlands,and Hastings,all in the sme day.To make it tougher on those that like to play the Canadian tracks,the DRF with these tracks is not available off track the day before.You get a free DRF supplement with the pp's on the way into the track or otb site and must handicap race to race during the day;a very tough task on top of the US racing going on.

Zman179
02-10-2007, 11:20 AM
From what I recall, it started with the Meadowlands meet in 1984 being simulcast to other NJ tracks. Before then they could take a race or two at a live meet, but the pools would be separate.

IIRC, the first full-card simulcasts were in 1983 when The Meadowlands and Atlantic City Race Course exchanged signals for their nighttime cards.

BIG RED
02-10-2007, 11:35 AM
OK Zman, sounds right. So, I've had a splitting headache since '83! :bang:

So many races, so little time....what to do~what to do.