PDA

View Full Version : Vogele book

takeout
02-07-2007, 02:23 AM
I recall a fairly recent post where someone said where the old Vogele book could be found for a reasonable price. I searched but couldn’t find the post again. Can anyone steer me to it?

shoelessjoe
02-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Go to Abe's Book's they have plenty.

takeout
02-09-2007, 06:34 AM
I thought that was the place but I wasn’t having any luck. Turns out I was spelling the name wrong. Finally lucked into it (Lawrence Voegele). Always did want to replace that one. (Another loaner that never returned.)

The Judge
02-09-2007, 08:23 PM
This has to be one of the worst books ever written on handicapping.

Handiman
02-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Now you tell me. I just ordered it, to add to my collection. Oh well. No great loss as I only had to pay $1.00 for it. The shipping was $5....:lol: I'm definitely one of the sharper consumers here.

Handi

Overlay
02-09-2007, 09:06 PM
If the Voegele book you're referring to is his Professional Method of Winner Selection, he had another title as well called Payoff!, pretty much along the same lines. The problem I always had with his philosophy (as I remember it) was that, while I agreed with him that you should bet "with the percentages", I interpreted his guidance to be that, for each handicapping factor, you should accept horses that met a certain criterion, and totally eliminate other horses in the field from consideration. For example, if a majority or high plurality of all winners exhibited a certain characteristic (say, a race within a specified number of days), Larry would make that his bench mark, and totally eliminate any horse that hadn't raced within that many days. The result (in my experience) was that whatever horse was left by the time all the eliminations were through was extremely low-paying because it was obvious to everyone. To me, it's preferable to assess each factor on a proportional scale rather than an all-or-nothing basis, so that you come up with an idea about the winning chances of every horse in the race.

banacek
02-09-2007, 09:09 PM
This has to be one of the worst books ever written on handicapping.

Not great, but I've read many many worse. But it is easily my favourite cover. Him sitting in the clubhouse reading the form with the pipe in his mouth. I was 12 and I loved it. That was a professional to me!:cool:

My favourite thing is the betting strategy:

Suppose you have $120 to bet on 6 races. The first 2 races you bet $10;$20 on the next two; $30 on the last 2.

"If you win any of the last 4 races your return will be at least as good as a flat bet and a 50-50 chance of being better".

(He failed to state that if you hit any of the first 4 races, your return will be at most as good as a flat bet and a 50-50 chance of being worse)

Anyone know if he's still alive?

exiles
02-09-2007, 11:15 PM
I bought that book after reading a full page ad in the NY DAILY NEWS I believe
it was 1973 or 1974, the ad promised a life of luxury and easy money,i was 16 and i fell for it, i think it sold for $20 worst book on handiccaping ever writen.
about 10 years later, i saw an other ad in the NY POST this time, Larry was doing a 3 day seminar at the Medowlands Hilton cost $300 i heard that about 30 people attended. to quote what's his name(there 's a sucker born every minnute

banacek
02-09-2007, 11:28 PM
worst book on handiccaping ever writen.

Boy, it wasn't great, but the worst? There were a couple of useful things in it. I've got about 10 or 15 other nominees before I got to Voegele. Nomination #1 - The Dot System

banacek
02-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Now you tell me. I just ordered it, to add to my collection. Oh well. No great loss as I only had to pay $1.00 for it. The shipping was $5....:lol: I'm definitely one of the sharper consumers here.

Handi

Interestingly, abebooks has many copies, lowest two are $1 and $2.50. Highest two are $74.95 and $75. Pays to shops around!

Dan Montilion
02-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Worst I've come across... Your Guide to Riches at the Horse Races. Author Harvard Fujiwara.

The Judge
02-10-2007, 12:24 PM
You are correct ,the cover is worth the price of the book. So Handiman don't worry you will get a kick out of the cover well worth the price!

Handiman
02-10-2007, 01:55 PM
The following is for your amusement and enjoyment. :lol: I have never paid more for shipping than an item cost. But I gues there's a first time for everything.

From Abe Books.

Author: Lawrence Voegele
Title: Professional method of winner selection
Bookseller Book No.: 104660
Price: US$ 1.00

Book Description: USED Ships Within 24 Hours - Satisfaction Guaranteed!

Date Processed: February 9, 2007
Approximate Shipping Speed: 3 - 6 business days

Orders are usually shipped within 2 business days

Total Book Price: US$ 1.00
Updated Shipping: US$ 6.50
Updated Total Order Amount: US$ 7.50

They even guarantee my satisfaction!..Hard not to be satisfied with something that cost a buck. :jump:

Handi

Dave Schwartz
02-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Who was the guy that sold a book for $2,000 per copy about 20 years ago? Was it Voegele? Fiore?

Dave

takeout
02-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I bought that book after reading a full page ad in the NY DAILY NEWS I believe
it was 1973 or 1974, the ad promised a life of luxury and easy money,i was 16 and i fell for it, i think it sold for $20 worst book on handiccaping ever writen.
about 10 years later, i saw an other ad in the NY POST this time, Larry was doing a 3 day seminar at the Medowlands Hilton cost $300 i heard that about 30 people attended. to quote what's his name(there 's a sucker born every minnute
Doing seminars? Sounds like he was ahead of his time. :D

I recall someone at one the old Expos saying, that because of a giant advertising campaign, it was the largest selling handicapping book ever.

I think it was the first handicapping book I ever saw. Bought it from a friend for $5. He had already marked it up doing the lessons. I remember him telling me not to put too much stock in the recency rules.

Also heard sometime after that that Voegele had some betting thing going on with OPM. Maybe he was trying to build a stable too, can’t remember. Anyway, I think the people that went in on it got a statement every so often telling them how their money was doing – or some such. Never heard any more about it so I assume it all went away faster than you can say chain letter.

takeout
02-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Who was the guy that sold a book for $2,000 per copy about 20 years ago? Was it Voegele? Fiore?

Dave
Dayum! :eek: Sure it wasn’t a car? :D