PDA

View Full Version : A WHALE I MET

PlanB
02-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Last year, I combined a Business trip to San Diego & Claremont California, but I put 3 extra play days into my schedule. A pal of mine from NYC at Goldman Sachs was re-located to Calif & he arranged for us to go to Santa Anita for a day of races, and he phoned me 2 firm our plans. Dinner, yes; Races, ABSOULTELY. Anyways, a LARGE BETTOR (and GS investor) came along & it was astounding. I'm a $20-40 Win Bettor plus Exactas, with P4 as my love. For me, my comfort zone is fixed at that level. BUT THIS GUY, OMG, what a plunger, but he seemed excited yet professional. Let me put it this way, I hated to root for my $20 win bet with this big better to my right. It was very intense but strangely I loved it. (If you want to hear more, by me a Vodka)

DJofSD
02-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I'll spring for the drinks if you have your friend in tow!

Overlay
02-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Last year, I combined a Business trip to San Diego & Claremont, California...

Ah yes, home of my alma mater, Claremont McKenna College. The next time you're there, you'll have to look up my old classmate (and fellow PA member) Falconridge, who works in the Gould Center for Humanistic Studies at the college. (I believe he's just about the only person in the Center office, so he shouldn't be hard to find.)

PlanB
02-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, for sure. I just loved that town/village? It's so near-perfect. hehe, I loved Pasadena too.

ranchwest
02-06-2007, 09:00 PM
How much are we talking about, that you felt he was a whale?

I don't think I've ever met a real whale. I knew a guy who would bet as much as $2,000 on his own horse, but I haven't seen many people who bet more than $400 on a race. I've known pros who seldom bet more than $400 on a race. I do know OF a guy who bets as much as $10,000 or more on a race, but I've never met him personally.

I met a guy one day who was betting about $300 to $400 per race on trifectas all day. He left and left his form behind. So, out of curiosity I opened it up to see if he had any notes because I never saw him with any paper other than the form. When I opened it up, the pages were pristine. I found that a bit surprising.

raybo
02-07-2007, 12:26 AM
How much are we talking about, that you felt he was a whale?

I don't think I've ever met a real whale. I knew a guy who would bet as much as $2,000 on his own horse, but I haven't seen many people who bet more than $400 on a race. I've known pros who seldom bet more than $400 on a race. I do know OF a guy who bets as much as $10,000 or more on a race, but I've never met him personally.

I met a guy one day who was betting about $300 to $400 per race on trifectas all day. He left and left his form behind. So, out of curiosity I opened it up to see if he had any notes because I never saw him with any paper other than the form. When I opened it up, the pages were pristine. I found that a bit surprising.

Guess that means that sometimes a good portion of the "dumb" money in the pools comes from 1 or 2 people, not the betting public (the $2 shooters, as I call them), as many think.

befuddlem
02-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Last year, I combined a Business trip to San Diego & Claremont California, but I put 3 extra play days into my schedule. A pal of mine from NYC at Goldman Sachs was re-located to Calif & he arranged for us to go to Santa Anita for a day of races, and he phoned me 2 firm our plans. Dinner, yes; Races, ABSOULTELY. Anyways, a LARGE BETTOR (and GS investor) came along & it was astounding. I'm a $20-40 Win Bettor plus Exactas, with P4 as my love. For me, my comfort zone is fixed at that level. BUT THIS GUY, OMG, what a plunger, but he seemed excited yet professional. Let me put it this way, I hated to root for my $20 win bet with this big better to my right. It was very intense but strangely I loved it. (If you want to hear more, by me a Vodka)

This guy isn't a whale, he's a Blowhard. How would you know how much he was betting? He had to be showing off. Big time players try to maintain a low profile.
Sounds like a typical drunk bettor who lost his inhibitions, and probably woke up the next morning cursing having ever hooked up with this PlanB character...LOL!

Have another Vodka buddy.

betchatoo
02-07-2007, 07:58 AM
The biggest player I ever met was a horse owner at Arlington. He had a horse called Polar Expedition that won the Arlington Futurity. Jim would regularly bet $1,000 or more on a race. Loved playing tri's. I have no idea of how well he did.

Ron
02-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't understand the point of this little story.

Valuist
02-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Sounds more like a wreckless bettor than a whale. A real whale wouldn't be working at Goldman Sachs. They'd have no need to.

xciceroguy
02-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Makes my $2.00 quinella picks seem pointless.........

ranchwest
02-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't understand the point of this little story.

It's to give separation to the dutching place and show thread. :D

PlanB
02-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Guys, a little clarification. My pal works at Goldman-Sachs; he's 28 and very smart. That's why they moved him to Calif, -----Duh. The "whale" --- I don't know if he qualifies in your view as a true whale --- but he shocked me, and NO, HE WASN'T CRASS or WEIRD or SOMEONE LOUD or VULGAR --- quite the contrarys, he was very classy. It was how big he bet & was right on. But it did change my day at the races, that's for sure.

Ron
02-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Guys, a little clarification. My pal works at Goldman-Sachs; he's 28 and very smart. That's why they moved him to Calif, -----Duh. The "whale" --- I don't know if he qualifies in your view as a true whale --- but he shocked me, and NO, HE WASN'T CRASS or WEIRD or SOMEONE LOUD or VULGAR --- quite the contrarys, he was very classy. It was how big he bet & was right on. But it did change my day at the races, that's for sure.

Opposites attract, I guess. :sleeping:

NoDayJob
02-07-2007, 08:22 PM
:D The last WHALE I met wasn't at the race track. It was about 50 miles west of the Golden Gate bridge and o'boy was he a plunger. :D

PlanB
02-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Opposites attract, I guess. :sleeping:

LOL. AGREED. Case Closed. PA: I'm CLOSING THIS THREAD.

linrom1
02-07-2007, 09:35 PM

You should ask him which company they're going to shank next :) : last I heard they don't stiff any horses just widows and orphans. I guess he bets like GS places bets on stocks with Fed's money they get from Bernanke to speculate on US economy. :eek:

ezrabrooks
02-07-2007, 09:50 PM
You should ask him which company they're going to shank next :) : last I heard they don't stiff any horses just widows and orphans. I guess he bets like GS places bets on stocks with Fed's money they get from Bernanke to speculate on US economy. :eek:

I guess we are supposed to be impressed that you know the name of the current Fed Chairman. One more moronic post from linprick.. You are on a roll..

NoDayJob
02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Me thinks E.B. is the reincarnation of one lousycapper, eh???