PDA

View Full Version : Don't You Just Hate it When...

sq764
10-31-2002, 06:44 PM
...you're betting a nice double wager at Charlestown last night and you are down to 2 horses you feel confident about in the 8th race and you decide to throw the other one out because the jockey is 0 for 81 this year!!!

...And then he beats you for his first win of the year??

ranchwest
10-31-2002, 09:20 PM
I bet on Tammy Fox when she got her first win, after over 600 losses to start her career. Her horse would have been 2/5 if any other jockey was aboard, but was 5/1. Why did I bet on her? Good hunch. She was on the outside. I figured with this good of a horse they would tell her to break and stay clear of other horses and win. She went about 4 wide on the turn without a horse inside of her, almost blew it trying to whip the horse at the top of the lane, then grabbed the mane to win for fun.

Almost everyone wins sometime.

Lefty
11-01-2002, 12:17 PM
Yrs ago I had a $30+ win with Danny Sorenson aboard. My friend asked, "How could you bet Sorenson? He was 0-101."
I said, "And I didn't bet any of 'em I didn't bet Sorenson, I bet the horse."
There ya go.

Dave Schwartz
11-01-2002, 12:37 PM
Lefty,

And I remember betting on Bill WInland in two consecutive races at Hollywood one day... he won both and was taken down on both! Aggggh!

Dave

takeout
11-01-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by sq764
and you decide to throw the other one out because the jockey is 0 for 81 this year!!!

...And then he beats you for his first win of the year??

And the night after that a trainer that was 0-for-49 wins two races with his only two starters. :D

anglemaster
11-01-2002, 04:47 PM
I recall in the Winter/Spring of 2001 of John Campo Jr. winning both halfs of the Daily Double at either Hia or GP.

What's the odds of that. Frankly I do not think that he has won more than two races since then.

John

freeneasy
11-01-2002, 11:13 PM
years ago when Steve Cauthan was riding here at Santa Anita he slid into a horrendous losing streak of some 75 races in a row. He had just signed a contract to ride for Robert Sangster in Europe where he rode out the rest of his career. Well I had to attest his losing streak to the fact that the trainers wanted to give their horses to someone that would stay on. During that whole losing streak I bet him twice, once he placed and the other he won.
When he retired and came home I saw him on an interview and he spoke with this twangy English accent. comical. what was his overall win % when he retired from English racing. And last I think I heard he was given a position as a spokesman for a track on the East Coast