PDA

View Full Version : Give Bears Fans A Break.

44PACE
02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Lets all give Bear fans a pass. It is not their fault that they have an idiot for a head coach who can't see how dreadfull Grossman is. He is one of the worst of all time. It may be time to bring back Bobby Douglaus.

Dave Schwartz
02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Seriously.

dylbert
02-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Lets all give Bear fans a pass. It is not their fault that they have an idiot for a head coach who can't see how dreadfull Grossman is. He is one of the worst of all time. It may be time to bring back Bobby Douglaus.Lovie Smith is far from idiot. He has been excellent leader for Bears' team that was in shambles when he took over as head coach.

Grossman does have his shortcomings. But, he did have 15-3 record going into Super Bowl as starting QB.

Bears will have very competitive team again next season.

melman
02-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Come on guys give it a break, how about the Bears defense not being able to stop the Colts. The Colts were on the field ALL the time and out rushed and out passed the Bears by a large margin. If you have to take a shot at Grossman go ahead but coach Smith is far from an "idiot" taking his team to the SB. The Bears DEFENSE was just not up to the task and altough I agree Grossman did not play well his DEFENSE hardly gave him many chances. It was a clear cut Colts win.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Well, 44Pace! You're still alive! You actually did not get 'bored to death' by the Colts/Bears Super Bowl!

Colts played great, and with their improved defense in the playoffs, and strong play tonight, clearly deserved to be the winner tonight, and be the Super Bowl Champs.

The Bears didn't adjust to those short passes to the running backs, the tight end across the middle passes, and the running game. (They couldn't stop, I think it was Steve Smith of Carolina last year, either. Was he a tight end too?)

And, yup, can't have the quarterback fumbling snaps in the Super Bowl, esp. twice! Bears got a big break with the immediate lead, but then got outplayed. Colts gave up some turnovers, and the Bears gave the breaks right back.

Oh well. I'm glad the Bears at least got to the Super Bowl. Was afraid some of those losses and near-losses when the 'Bad Rex' showed up would cost us the chance to get there.

I should admit to our friend 44Pace that I'm used to rooting for teams that don't win the Super Bowl.

I grew up in the Quad Cities, IL, far away from Chicago, and while many of the locals were Bear fans, that was back when I was a disappointed 9 year old when my first favorite team, the Baltimore Colts of Tom Matte & Johnny Unitas lost to the NY Jets. (My next birthday cake from a nice bakery had a football theme, but the cake decorator even put a Jets over Colts winning score on my birthday cake! LOL now, but not then! (But was so thrilled when they won 2 years later.)

Then my next favorite team became the Vikings, of the Purple People Eaters (Marshall, Larson, Page & Eller), Joe Kapp, Dave Osborne, Bill Brown, Fred Cox, Gene Washington, Mick Tinglehoff, Chuck Foreman, etc. Highs and lows the 4 times they great seasons and got the the Super Bowl, but never could win the last big game. Bears back then, gads, yeah those Bobby Douglas Bears teams stunk. Still have all my old Football (and Baseball) Cars, and I still have a rather large pile of 1970-1975 Viking cards, and the smallest number of Bears cards which were the ones my friends often wanted when we traded.

I graduated and eventually found a job and moved to Chicago, where after a couple years, I got intested in the Bears in 1983 when they were starting to improve, and all my new friends in the new town were so excited at their eventually improving team,, and I now lived in the local media market. (Sadly, the Vikings started to cut their losses, first by losing much earlier in the playoffs, and the last few years, sadly coming unhinged in the last few weeks to often avoid the playoffs entirely - like front running C5,000N2L's that lead until the furlong pole, then start looking around for the horse they were expect to pass them in the stretch as 'normal'. Sad to see teams start so well and then it's like they bleed through their Lasix or something. Maybe someday they can overcome that.

Oh well. Last year I thought the Bears were roughly 1 year away from being worthy of being in the Super Bowl. They got there this year, and thankfully didn't throw that chance, and the NFC Championship away. Hopefully they'll learn a lot more from this experience, find more of those weak spots and fix them.

Hopefully Rex will solve the sudden self-destruct problems (I think it's just a little bit more concentration and situational awareness when the blitzes and scrambling happen. Rex is talented, we all knew it here and were having to wait through 2 priior years with him getting hurt and sidelined, hurting his chance to live up to (and prove out) his potential. So, this seaon, despite the ups and downs, had to help him learn a lot. Hopefully with the full season under his belt, he'll get even better. But I do wish they had given Griese more snaps. Always have to be prepared to injuries or other problems. I frankly think teams should regularly play 2 quarterbacks throughout the season to keep them both ready and sharp.

Lovie Smith, sure seems like an overall great coach. Tony Dungey can only coach one team at a time, so then, hey, I know I'd gladly take and keep Lovie Smith coaching for our team (he was an assistant under Dungey).

Hope the Bears can play as well or better next year. Hope they come back a little stronger next year if they do get to the Super Bowl - otherwise, if the Colts make it back again, and keep playing as tough as they did in the playoffs, it might end up the same way.

Well, Dennis Green and the Cardinals knew who the Bears were, but he let them get away. Bears were good enough to get to the big game, but the Colts knew who the Bears were tonight and actually did stop them in the big finally.

Still a great season, and nice to have been to the playoffs last 2 years, and at least TO the Super Bowl again.

Have to win the Super Bowl to be the Super Bowl champs, but you DO have to win a LOT of games, and the critical playoff games, just to get there.

Frankly, I still think Andy Reid of the Eagles is a great overall coach. Made the playoffs, what, at least 5 years in a row?

Marv Levy and Buffalo. 4 Super Bowls in a row. Didn't win any of them, but a damn good coach and team.

Bud Grant - got the Vikings to 4 Super Bowls. Didn't win any of them, but damn fine jobs getting good winning teams, and getting to the big dance.

rastajenk
02-04-2007, 11:41 PM
The gap between the AFC and the NFC is growing wider. These things are cyclical, in the age of parity you'd think it couldn't happen, but it does and it is. No matter if Grossman improves next year or if the Bears go a different direction at QB, they're not winning a Super Bowl very soon. Like Seattle last year, they used a weak division to get home-field thru the playoffs, but there are a half-dozen AFC teams that could have manhandled them like the Colts just did. It would only take a little improvement from their division rivals to make real the possibility they don't even make the playoffs next year.

bigmack
02-05-2007, 12:24 AM
I graduated and eventually found a job and moved to Chicago, where after a couple years, I got intested in the Bears in 1983 when they were starting to improve,
As an ex-Chicagoian I enjoyed your post Stats, thanks

Steve 'StatMan'
02-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks BigMack! I enjoy your posts too! (Although I usually get the Double Quarter Pounders at Mickey D's -sorry, I couldn't help it, friend! I didn't mean for that to be a Big Mack Attack)

Steve Miller (the handicapper, not the band)

Valuist
02-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Come on guys give it a break, how about the Bears defense not being able to stop the Colts. The Colts were on the field ALL the time and out rushed and out passed the Bears by a large margin. If you have to take a shot at Grossman go ahead but coach Smith is far from an "idiot" taking his team to the SB. The Bears DEFENSE was just not up to the task and altough I agree Grossman did not play well his DEFENSE hardly gave him many chances. It was a clear cut Colts win.

I disagree with this. I would say the Bears front 4 on D did not play well but not the rest of the defense. Grossman was singlehandedly responsible for one of the TDs, not to mention the other turnovers. The problem was the Bears D was on the field for over 80 plays. The Bears return the opening kickoff for a TD and their other touchdown was a 4 play drive when Jones had the 52 yard run. To be on the field for over 80 plays against that offense and really only give up one big play (the TD to Wayne) was solid. The front 4 did get manhandled by the Colts O line but the rest definitely stepped up. This could've been a 50-17 type game very easily.

blind squirrel
02-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Lets all give Bear fans a pass. It is not their fault that they have an idiot for a head coach who can't see how dreadfull Grossman is. He is one of the worst of all time. It may be time to bring back Bobby Douglaus.

look it's REX'S second year[i think}....this BEARS team will be back
in the playoffs.....how many people were knocking PEYTON prior
to last night....DA BEARS!

The Judge
02-05-2007, 08:15 AM
This was a ugly win, you can't mention this Colts team with past Super Bowl winners. I can't think of one past Super Bowl team that this Colts team would have beat playing the way they did last night. The Bears were willing victims and yes Grossman killed them he should have been pulled.

melman
02-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Valuist

The Bears defense was on the field for over 80 plays. Now just who's fault was that> Grossman's?? If you want to break it down to the front four that's fine but they are part of the overall defense, which IMHO did not play well. Look at the passing and rushing stats.

cj
02-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Valuist

The Bears defense was on the field for over 80 plays. Now just who's fault was that> Grossman's?? If you want to break it down to the front four that's fine but they are part of the overall defense, which IMHO did not play well. Look at the passing and rushing stats.

Grossman is a big part of that. Besides the turnovers, first downs were a rarity for the Bears.

Murph
02-05-2007, 12:47 PM
This was a ugly win, you can't mention this Colts team with past Super Bowl winners. I can't think of one past Super Bowl team that this Colts team would have beat playing the way they did last night. The Bears were willing victims and yes Grossman killed them he should have been pulled.That was a beautiful victory!

The Bears were outmatched on both sides of the ball. I'd say you gentlemen should get used to it. This will not be the last time you see our Indy Colts team winning the super bowl. It would be nice to see just one of you Colts haters step up and admit they are the best team in the league. They proved it convincingly in every playoff game along the way.

It is very difficult to dispute the stats posted in the big game, let alone the fact they won it (and covered!). Any excuses made for the Bears loss looks kind of lame today. The best team won and they beat the best the NFC had to offer. The Bears brought all they had and left it on the field, my hat is off to them.

What more should the Colts have to do after doing all it took to win this game? Maybe when your favorite team is scrambling to go with a lighter faster defensive unit will do it for you. I doubt it though, some minds are made up and won't change no matter what they see with their own eyes.

Congratulations to the Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI Champions! Indianapolis, the fans and our team deserves this championship totally. Just look at the facts.

Murph

Bubbles
02-05-2007, 12:59 PM
The Colts simply outplayed the Bears last night. That's not in dispute. I'm glad Manning finally got a ring, now maybe the skeptics will find something else to moan about.

In regards to how long the Colts will stay on top, the answer is until Marvin Harrison retires. He's got a few years left, but anyone that thinks Manning can just double the looks to Reggie Wayne and still guide the Colts to Super Bowl glory is kidding themselves. Clark and Utecht did not play particularly well last night, and the defense, while solid in the playoffs, was very, VERY inconsistent in the regular season. They've got an efficient backfield in Addai and Rhodes, and a very good offensive line, but when Harrison retires, I just don't see the offense functioning nearly as well.

melman
02-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Kinda hard for Grossman to help get his team a first down when he does not have the ball. The Colts offense just got first down after first down after first down and the Bears Defense did NOT do what a good defense is supposed to do. Namely stop the other team in a hurry and get off the field. Hey I am hardly a Rex Grossman fan club member, but he does not play defense. Congrats to the Indy Colts they earned this SB title.

Ron
02-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Kinda hard for Grossman to help get his team a first down when he does not have the ball. The Colts offense just got first down after first down after first down and the Bears Defense did NOT do what a good defense is supposed to do. Namely stop the other team in a hurry and get off the field. Hey I am hardly a Rex Grossman fan club member, but he does not play defense. Congrats to the Indy Colts they earned this SB title.

I didn't see Manning fumble snaps. You can't blame the Bears defense for that. The Colts didn't earn this title. Were we watching the same game?

melman
02-05-2007, 01:25 PM
No Ron I guess we were not watching the same game. I saw the one where Grossman screwed up on five or six plays. Also saw the Bears unable to stop the Colts offense on a lot more than five or six plays. Check the stats it could have been a lot worse for the Bears. The Bears team was build around a tough hard nosed defense that stops the other team and gets off the field. They did not get the job done.

boomman
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
rasta wrote:No matter if Grossman improves next year or if the Bears go a different direction at QB, they're not winning a Super Bowl very soon. Like Seattle last year, they used a weak division to get home-field thru the playoffs, but there are a half-dozen AFC teams that could have manhandled them like the Colts just did.

Rasta is right on the money! It is questionable whether the Bears could have beaten ANY of the teams that Indy had to go through to make the Super Bowl, as KC, Balt and NE would all be tough for the Bears to handle, especially if they didn't have that patsy schedule which resulted in Home Field Advantage throughout the play-offs! Rex Grossman is horrible and everyone knows that, but the Bears defense was never the same the 2nd half of the year, and when you allow a team like Indy to control time of possession like they did, they will kill you! In my opinion, the Bears overachieved to reach the SuperBowl in the 1st place, that coupled with a very weak NFC....Boom

jma
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I didn't see Manning fumble snaps. You can't blame the Bears defense for that. The Colts didn't earn this title. Were we watching the same game?

Grossman wasn't the only one fumbling out there in the rain. The problem was that the Colts were much better than the Bears in every aspect of the game except for kick returns. They controlled the ball the whole game and held the Bears offense in check except for some meaningless yards very late. Other than that, the Bears were the better team. :)

Valuist
02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Valuist

Partly Grossman and definitely partly Ron Turner, the offensive (and I do mean OFFENSIVE) coordinator. Terrible game plan. A QB who already is turnover prone, clearly has trouble w/the wet ball......take the ball out of his hands and utilize the running attack. Jones ran very effectively when they gave him the chance. Everybody knows that the Colts weak point.

headhawg
02-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Partly Grossman and definitely partly Ron Turner, the offensive (and I do mean OFFENSIVE) coordinator. Terrible game plan. A QB who already is turnover prone, clearly has trouble w/the wet ball......take the ball out of his hands and utilize the running attack. Jones ran very effectively when they gave him the chance. Everybody knows that the Colts weak point.I congratulate the Colts. I really thought that the Bears would win but clearly Indy was the better team; they executed better and had a better game plan on both sides of the ball. And Valuist, I agree wholeheartedly. As you know I'm not a fan of Lovie and his coaching staff. They don't make adjustments. I look at the way Steve Smith manhandled the D last year (with no changes in the 2nd half) and there were no changes in this game. And the Bears were down only 22-17 with 11 minutes left? Why abandon the run especially with Jones running the way he was? The 2nd and 1 play was a joke.

And I don't like Grossman either and not because of this game. He hasn't learned a damn thing all year. He made the same mistakes in the SB as he did in all of the other bad games he played this year -- fumbles and bad interceptions. How do you not handle snaps in the 19th game of the season? He is a p.o.s.

Valuist
02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
That 2nd and 1 play was the killer. The Bears were moving the ball well and the momentum was shifting. 2nd and 1.....they send Thomas Jones in motion, which completely took away the play action option. Next thing you know, its 3rd and 12. Goodbye, ballgame.

Hosshead
02-06-2007, 09:33 AM
So just because the Colts get the opening kickoff run back for a touchdown, they squib kick their kickoffs for the rest of the game, giving good field position to the Bears ?

Shouldn't they weigh the odds of that happening twice (another 7 pts.), against the amount of points scored by giving good field position time after time ?

It just seemed like everytime the Colts kicked off (short), the Bears (if they don't fumble) didn't have far to go , to be in field goal range of a good kicker.

boomman
02-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Hoss wrote:

So just because the Colts get the opening kickoff run back for a touchdown, they squib kick their kickoffs for the rest of the game, giving good field position to the Bears ?

Shouldn't they weigh the odds of that happening twice (another 7 pts.), against the amount of points scored by giving good field position time after time ?

It just seemed like everytime the Colts kicked off (short), the Bears (if they don't fumble) didn't have far to go , to be in field goal range of a good kicker.

Hoss: You are 100% right in your assessment! Even though Indy's game plan was solid in every other phase of the game, and I congratulate them on their win, they definitely got "spooked" after that kick-off return, and although they did recover a fumble on one of the "pooch" kicks, it drives me nuts to see pro football teams squib kick simply because their special teams players can't tackle. And it's a testimony to how little the Colts feared Grossman's ability to lead the team down the field when they continued to squib kick, and on one got an unneccessary roughness penalty which resulted in the Bears starting in INDY territory with no return to speak of! That's utterly ridiculous!! Boom

Fred
02-06-2007, 07:39 PM
And it's a testimony to how little the Colts feared Grossman's ability to lead the team down the field when they continued to squib kick, and on one got an unneccessary roughness penalty which.

That's exactly the reason they continued to squib kick. Why let special teams beat you when they know the Bears are offense challenged?

Freddy

Hosshead
02-06-2007, 10:59 PM
When you get the ball on the 35-40 yd. line, you only have to "march" about 30 yds. to score (3 pts.)
And with a great kicker, even Grossman can do that. (sans fumbles)

So when the Bears score and kick away, the Colts have to work all the way downfield to earn some points.
If it's a field goal, then squib kick and give the ball back to the Bears at the 35-40 yd. line, giving back the 3 pts. they just worked hard for.

Sure, (my team) the Colts were the best team. But if somehow the Bears would have won, ... look no farther than squib kicking the entire game.
That would have been the controversy.
And if the Colts would have kicked away, IMO they would have won by a huge margin.

Why let a 90/1 shot make you "running scared".

Fred
02-07-2007, 07:32 AM
They won and they covered.

Case Closed

Freddy