PDA

View Full Version : Infected Computer

MONEY
02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
My computer is running Windows XP Home Edition with service packet 2. I did a computer diagnotic with Trend Micro because my computer started running slow.
According to Trend Micro there are 8 infected files in a program called (Microsoft Virtual Machine). I cannot clean or delete the infections using Trend Micro. I have version 2600 of Virtual Machine and the Microsoft website won't :bang: let me upgrade to the newer 3810 version. What is Virtual Machine?:confused: What would happen if I uninstall Virtual Machine from my computer? What are my other options? Any assistance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Bala
02-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Is this a joke? You don't know is you're running Vmware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Machine)???? Are you the administrator of this machine?

All the major players in AntiVirus software have free online scanning capabilities. You may be getting false positives from Trend Micro.

“He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked” ~ Voltaire

“There are many things of which a wise man might wish to be ignorant” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DJofSD
02-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Look under Control Panel, Add/Remove Software to see if there is a line item for the MSFT (JAVA) Virtual Machine. If there is then you should be able to click on remove to take it off you system.

According to this link (http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/) support by MSFT for this product will expire the end of this calendar year.

Going out on a limb, I think this was orginally MSFT's attempt at producing their own JAVA virtual machine. They got smacked down by SUN and the court system (which is probably a good thing).

You will likely need to d/l the SUN Java application from SUN. It's free.

Any virtual machine is a software representation of a hardware environment. The basis for the concept is anything that can be designed in H/W can be emulated in S/W, and, any software program can be turned into a hardware circuit. EE's have been doing this ever since they designed TTL chips if not before.

For JAVA, the virtual machine functions as a bridge between generalized code that is not machine/processor specific so that it can be interpreted and the correct actions taken for the specific machine the JAVA program is running on. Interpreting JAVA code is the same action that happens with BASIC -- instructions that are not machine readable operation instuctions (op codes) are processed by the runtime environment and the generalize instructions become directives to the run time environment to perform the correct actions for that specific processor.

JAVA is a product of Sun Micro Systems (and is probably the only thing keeping this company around).

Bala
02-04-2007, 12:39 AM
.....Going out on a limb..... The poster said he/she {politicaly correct} is running SP2. Suns' issues were with SP1 and SP1a

“EMAIL - when it absolutely positively has to get lost at the speed of light.”

MONEY
02-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Thank You DJofSD for the instructions and helpful link. And thanks Bala I will use other antivirus software to check my computer.

MONEY:)