PDA

View Full Version : TECHNICAL ASSITANCE NEEDED - JAMES BEAVER

Rxlawyer
02-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I have used James Beavers program and recently purchased a new computer with Windows XP Professional operating system. I hooked up my old dot matrix printer through a conversion cable to a USB port. When I try to use Beaver's program I am asked if I want to print a hard copy. I answer 1 (for yes) Good so far. The problem happens when I am asked if the printer is ready. Again, I enter 1 (for yes). I keep getting an error. I suspect the program is checking LPT1 for the printer. The printer is actually hooked to USB4. Any ideas?

An alternative is to be able to print the entire screen on my computer instead of on paper. However, all of the information is not printed on the screen. The printing stops after SPLAT and Power. I have a state of the art computer with plenty of screen room. Any ideas?

I would really appreciate any help.

Gary

BillW
02-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Did you install a driver for the USB connection?

Rxlawyer
02-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Thank you for your response. The answer is yes. My regular laser printer is on USB1 and my Dot Matrix is on USB4. Drivers have been installed for both printers and both printers print the test page fine.

Gary

JustRalph
02-04-2007, 12:12 AM
If it is an old program, it doesn't know how to address (literally) USB ports. Can you install a "print to file" option and tell the program to print to that? just go to "add a printer" and choose "print to file" as the port. It should print a file in text format. then print the text file from a windows app.

good luck

JimG
02-04-2007, 08:31 AM
I have used James Beavers program and recently purchased a new computer with Windows XP Professional operating system. I hooked up my old dot matrix printer through a conversion cable to a USB port. When I try to use Beaver's program I am asked if I want to print a hard copy. I answer 1 (for yes) Good so far. The problem happens when I am asked if the printer is ready. Again, I enter 1 (for yes). I keep getting an error. I suspect the program is checking LPT1 for the printer. The printer is actually hooked to USB4. Any ideas?

An alternative is to be able to print the entire screen on my computer instead of on paper. However, all of the information is not printed on the screen. The printing stops after SPLAT and Power. I have a state of the art computer with plenty of screen room. Any ideas?

Gary

Hi Gary,

Below is a repost of mine from 2005 that should help:

Getting it to print in XP is easy. When you get the first race on the screen, right click in the blue area where is says yea.exe at top, Choose edit, then choose Mark, (the cursor will go into the program area with data) then choose data you want to print by dragging your mouse, then hit enter on the keyboard after highlighting what you want to print. (That serves the same purpose as the windows copy function) Then go into Notepad...right click and paste. That pastes the text you just copied from the dos program.

Go back to Yeast, hit enter, second race will pop up and repeat steps above. I keep Yeast and Notepad both open to facilitate the process. My explanation, while detailed, sounds more complicated than it is. Any questions, write here or PM me. I usually get a card on 3 pages.

Jim

forecast
02-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi Gary,

I had the same problem with old Dos-based handicapping programs. I went on line and found a utility named DOS2USB, that makes printing from DOS programs to a USB port easy. The cost for the program was about $20.00, and you can download it from the site: www.dos2usb.com (http://www.dos2usb.com/) It also comes with a 10-day free trial to see if it solves your problem.

Best Regards,

Forecast

HTRFGuy
02-05-2007, 09:03 AM

Gary

Gary,

You don't need to buy anything.

A USB port is a completely foreign concept to MS-DOS programs. None of these programs were designed to write to a port called "USB1!"

The solution is to assign the USB-connected printer a network name, and then to associate that network name with an unused LPT port. The MS-DOS programs will print to the LPT port and Windows will automatically redirect the job to the USB printer port.

Here is one website that tells you how to invoke a network name in Windows to redirect an LPT port to a USB printer port.

http://www.decompile.com/dataflex/tips/usb_printer.htm

JustRalph
02-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Gary,

You don't need to buy anything.

A USB port is a completely foreign concept to MS-DOS programs. None of these programs were designed to write to a port called "USB1!"

The solution is to assign the USB-connected printer a network name, and then to associate that network name with an unused LPT port. The MS-DOS programs will print to the LPT port and Windows will automatically redirect the job to the USB printer port.

Here is one website that tells you how to invoke a network name in Windows to redirect an LPT port to a USB printer port.

http://www.decompile.com/dataflex/tips/usb_printer.htm

:lol: :lol: oh yeah, this is going to be fun.........!!!!

I got to give you credit......... it works..............I suggest everybody read the doc linked above............... HTRF.......... thanks for the info.........

HTRFGuy
02-05-2007, 03:16 PM
:lol: :lol: oh yeah, this is going to be fun.........!!!!

I got to give you credit......... it works..............I suggest everybody read the doc linked above............... HTRF.......... thanks for the info.........

Just Ralph et.al.

Here is an even better instruction from Bill Gates's guys! Just in case that other web site isn't clear.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314499/en-us

Tom
02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
H-Guy - big thanks!

Rxlawyer
02-09-2007, 11:01 PM
A BIG THANK YOU!! :)