PDA

View Full Version : Isi Rip Newborn's books

trying2win
10-30-2002, 06:15 PM
When I was a neophyte at handicapping thoroughbred races back in the early 1960's, if I remember correctly, there wasn't too much good handicapping information around back then. But, back in those days, I just happened to come across a handicapping book by Isi Rip Newborn entitled "Helpful Hints for Horseplayers". I thought Isi had some good sound handicapping advice even back then.

I noticed at www.alibris.com, when I did an author search, that some of Isi's old handicapping books are still around.

Do any of you old-timers remember Isi?

tigers1901
10-31-2002, 11:09 PM
I remember the columns of Newborn and George Lewis in the defunct Cleveland Press.Newborn was legend for some of his Kentucky Derby prediction calls.Believe they still run the Isi Newborn
Memorial Handicap at 6F on Ohio Derby Day.

trying2win
11-01-2002, 12:12 AM
Tigers 1901

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to believe that I was the oldest member of this forum and nobody would remember Rip Newborn. Not only that, but I'm still in my 50's...just a young fella yet!.

Helpful Hints for Horseplayers was a pretty interesting book. I don't have it anymore, but I can remember one of the tips that Rip would emphasize in that old book..."Front runners preferred".
If I remember correctly, I thought at the time what Rip meant by that phrase, was horses who got the lead. But, Rip could have meant horses on the lead, battling for the lead, or running near the lead (i.e. stalker or presser).

tigers1901
11-01-2002, 01:52 PM
Still in my 50's also.My grandmother took me with her to the racetrack when I was 5 or 6 in the early 1950's.We are still young with a lot to learn.

Curious about the 2 books/booklets that Isi Newborn published.
One was in 1949 and the other in 1961.Saw an article about him in the last year or so but cannot remember where.