PDA

View Full Version : BC Pick 6

Derek2U
10-30-2002, 06:10 PM
Thoughts on if that ONLY pick 6 was lucky or a great hacker?
I think he tricked the system ... the game has been inflitrated.

Lefty
10-30-2002, 08:56 PM
A great hacker but his greed has done him in.

PaceAdvantage
10-30-2002, 09:09 PM
He may not have even needed to be a great hacker. I can just imagine how easy it COULD be to accomplish what he did, given the stereotypical image of racetrack and OTB management around the country....

==PA

Dave Schwartz
10-30-2002, 10:32 PM
My guess would be that hacking was not the approach. Inside job would be much more likely.

Dave

Claim digger
10-30-2002, 10:35 PM
I'd say fix. One horse in each of the first 4 races, then wheel the field? The coincidences here are too great.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/41917.html

MV McKee
10-30-2002, 10:47 PM
No question in my mind that the bet was not legit. My guess as to what happened is something along these lines...The transaction itself was done before closing of the pool (i.e. a record for a transaction of $1152 was created with the appropriate legitimate timestamp) and the details (betting numbers) were either populated or altered prior to the 5th leg.
What I think is hilarious, given this or another likely scenario, is that when Volponi won the last leg, the bettor likely knew immediatly that he was screwed. In other words, as counterintuitive as it sounds, the worst scenario that could possibly happen was for a bomb to come in on the final two leg(s). The $12 denomination indicates to me that this person was hoping for a few slices of a dispersed pie. If this had happened, it is likely that no investigation would have taken place.
Kind of reminds me of a fixed race scandal that took place a few years ago in my region, at a track ironically named "Playfair". The parties involved (a jock agent and valet among others) were caught because the tri paid something like $620 ($20 over the IRS req). If only one more ticket were purchased, the may have gotten away. Funny how these things work out.

HIman
10-30-2002, 11:30 PM
MV McKee

I think you nailed it. The bank robber left his name and address by accident.

On this subject I have read many posts on different forums, yours was most insightful.

If you handicap life with the same logic I'm sure you are doing very well.

Mahalo

mainardi
11-02-2002, 04:40 PM
From a software professional's perspective, it was just plain stupid that the programmer thought that no one would be able to figure out that the fix was in.

In my business, everyone knows who has which system privilege accesses, and in this case the "1-1-1-1-all-all" pattern could only have been known from the inside.

Just remember that you don't find many MENSAs, Rhodes scholars and the like behind bars.

Forrest Gump gets this one right... "Stupid is as stupid does!"

Handle
11-03-2002, 02:08 AM
There's no "hacking" involved here at all. This is the same as if I owned a store with a safe and I gave you the combo to the safe. Then you went in and opened the safe and took what you wanted from it.

Hacking is when you sit Soft Ice on top of a program to hand disassemble it to discover the password encryption scheme it uses. Or when you discover you can stick extra info into the call stack of a program (say the Unix sendmail program, anybody???) so the program's instruction pointer jumps to the code that you want it to execute (first email "Worm" anyone?).

This is nothing more than common thievery. So drop the "hacker" accolades. It takes nothing more than an opportunity to enter the right password into a system and press a few keys. It does take a lot less though....

-Nathan

Suff
11-03-2002, 07:40 AM
Here's what KILLED him.....

#1...... He did'nt want to stick out... so he assumed that they'd be 25, 35, 50 winners of the PICK 6... so he played a 12 dollar based bet... Thinking he'd have 6 winning tickets and he'd DILUTE the actual payoff by 6 more tickets... so if the PICK 6 paid 30 grand.. or 80 grand... his 6 of the 50 or so winning tickets would'nt send up a flag........ HE NEVER calculated he might be the only winner... Thereby DRAWING all the attention to THE ONLY winning ticket... and the fact it was a 12 Dollar BASE BET was what the real RED FLAG was about... NO ONE,, and I MEAN NO ONE,, ever tries to hit the pick 6... SIX times on one ticket... if he had played ONE two dollar ticket... he might have gotten away with it as a VERY GOOD, and/or VERY LUCKY horse handicapper...

#2.. he should have GONE WIDE in the first four races... If he had thrown in a few losers in the first four legs... he still MIGHT have been considered VERY GOOD or VERY LUCKY handicapper..If he had dropped another 500 or 1000 bucks and spread out on the first four.,.. he might have been percieved as a syndicate with a 2, 3, or 4000 dollar Investment in the pick six...Its not uncommon on the big days for syndicates to invest 5, 6, 7, or even 10 grand on the pick six.

To the General Public.. this HURTS racing's image as being FIXED.. But to the horse players,, we know.. THESE GUYS ARE NOT SOPHISTICATED Horse players.. They were amatuers with an opportunity.... Because any Horse player with at least a year or two's experience.. would have had the above two angles COVERED... OF course I would have said to my fellow Conspirator... a 12 dollar base bet is gonna LOOK very odd if there are only 10 winners... and of course I would have said to my fellow conspirator.. we need to throw in a few losers and/or we need to have 10 OTHER losing tickets... and with that said

STARINE was easily handicapped as a single on many tickets... DOME DRIVER was quite playable as a TURF SHIPPER and its frequent for the syndicates to have "ALL" in the last leg.. so I was very surprised that with the Chalk in the other legs that this was the only winner..

AND final note... In that race that Starine won? He paid 26 bucks.. well if you go back to my breeders cup selections in the selections forum of Paceadvantage.com you will see,, I had the WINNER, The exacta and THE TRIFECTA ($1000 bucks) in that race.