PDA

View Full Version : Stronach's Folly

Stevie Belmont
02-02-2007, 03:21 PM
I love how he is able to make sure he gets the Sunshine Millions televised on NBC last week. Get the races on, feed the people some Gulfstream Pie. All that is good and dandy, but here is the question I pose. Wouldn't you rather watch the races tomorrow from the Stream? Grade I Donn Handicap, Holy Bull, Canadian Turf and Swale Stakes, not to mention some other stakes that will be run tomorrow. This is what should have been televised. With the Sunshine Millions on last week, they could have promoted tomorrows card. Horses in a lot of major divisions running, these are the races that need to televised to get people interested. C'mon Franky...you have the loot, you want to promote racing? This should be televised, more so then the State Breds running for Insane 1 million dollar pot.

njcurveball
02-02-2007, 04:35 PM
I agree with you more than 100%! You make a great point! :ThmbUp:

cj
02-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Excellent point Steve! Maybe Karl can help when he gets back from his latest self imposed hiatus.

karlskorner
02-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Overnight rating for SM this year was 1.2 for 2 hour program, 1.4 for last 1 hour program. over all rating was a 3. The SM was a coast to coast thing, Donn is a east coast thing, I think Mr. Stronach knew what he was doing, probably added another million to his bankroll.

BIG RED
02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't believe it was the races in the SM that was his concern. It was the premium tracks he was showing off. That way he gets to show the non horse people national two nice tracks, which I can't recall who owns title.

Ron
02-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I guess that goes to show that some people will never be happy. They will always live their lives thinking that things will be better if they were different. There was no folly here.

cj
02-02-2007, 06:13 PM
...I think Mr. Stronach knew what he was doing, probably added another million to his bankroll.

ROFL...you really need to learn how to use those emoticons when you post these jokes. Otherwise, people will think you are being serious.

karlskorner
02-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Not being computer savy as yourself, I have no idea what ROFL stands for, but you have to admit there aren't too many track owners that can buy 2 hours of time on NBC. Money well spent, PA might have to revise that graph he likes to post

Stevie Belmont
02-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Insane.. East coast thing. There is the HOY running and an the Eclipse Winner Turf Male, along with a race that includes two top Kentucky Derby prospects. So you tell me what has more appeal.

Stronach is more about promoting himself, the Magna 5 and the tracks he owns. Oh look I created the Sunshine Millions. Okay that great, but his motive is about his interests. It was an infomercial more less, so in thata sense, of course he knows what he is doing. Good for him.

I have much more interest in the races tomorrow, and I would think real racing fans do as well.

Overnight rating for SM this year was 1.2 for 2 hour program, 1.4 for last 1 hour program. over all rating was a 3. The SM was a coast to coast thing, Donn is a east coast thing, I think Mr. Stronach knew what he was doing, probably added another million to his bankroll.

Suff
02-02-2007, 08:07 PM
I think its pretty clear that HORSE RACING in its current form is not a product that Television is interested in.

The vast majority of people with industry interests.....have access to online video.

In a situation like this , you end up Cannibalizing your moderates. The people that want to watch the race, will go to the track to do so...., and if you put it on TV many will watch it (and not bet) from there...

Its an industry issue. One man isn't responsible for it.
Personally, yea, Horse of the year, Big race, derby prospects...I'd like to see it on...

Indulto
02-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Insane.. East coast thing. There is the HOY running and an the Eclipse Winner Turf Male, along with a race that includes two top Kentucky Derby prospects. So you tell me what has more appeal.

Stronach is more about promoting himself, the Magna 5 and the tracks he owns. Oh look I created the Sunshine Millions. Okay that great, but his motive is about his interests. It was an infomercial more less, so in thata sense, of course he knows what he is doing. Good for him.

I have much more interest in the races tomorrow, and I would think real racing fans do as well.SB,
Though you might be right in general, I don’t find Saturday’s renewal of the Donn more appetizing than the S.M. Classic. Frankly, I never appreciated Spectacular Bid’s walkover and we’re not likely to see another performance like Secretariat’s Belmont. Another Bellamy Road Wood, maybe.... The vast majority of people with industry interests.....have access to online video.

In a situation like this , you end up Cannibalizing your moderates. The people that want to watch the race, will go to the track to do so...., and if you put it on TV many will watch it (and not bet) from there...My guess is that once major operators take full advantage of the internet and get a larger share of handle, we will see racing return to non-cable TV in a big way along with more multi-track exotics like the Magna Pick 5.

Greyfox
02-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I guess that goes to show that some people will never be happy. They will always live their lives thinking that things will be better if they were different. There was no folly here.

Great point Ron. But nothing wrong with hoping for even better.

Stevie Belmont
02-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Worry about your own life before you comment on someone elses. I thought it would have been nice if those races were televised tomorrow.

PriceAnProbability
02-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Worry about your own life before you comment on someone elses. I thought it would have been nice if those races were televised tomorrow.

Why are people so obsessed with network coverage?

People become horseplayers when they have time and money to do so.

JustRalph
02-02-2007, 11:17 PM

I disagree.

folly
One entry found for folly.

Main Entry: fol·ly
Pronunciation: 'fä-lE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural follies
Etymology: Middle English folie, from Anglo-French, from fol fool
1 : lack of good sense or normal prudence and foresight
2 a : criminally or tragically foolish actions or conduct b obsolete : EVIL, WICKEDNESS; especially : lewd behavior
3 : a foolish act or idea
4 : an excessively costly or unprofitable undertaking
5 : an often extravagant picturesque building erected to suit a fanciful taste

I think it would be better to see this weeks races on national TV. He has everybody who is interested in Santa Anita locked up on HRTV. He could have had a great day promoting his biggest, latest greatest product this weekend.

Ron
02-02-2007, 11:43 PM
There is probably a contract in place to air the Sunshine Millions. Hasn't it been on NBC the last 5 years?

cj's dad
02-03-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't believe it was the races in the SM that was his concern. It was the premium tracks he was showing off. That way he gets to show the non horse people national two nice tracks, which I can't recall who owns title.

If there is any doubt that the Preakness Stakes is southbound this should dispel that notion. Then again, outside of Baltimore, who really cares?? Out of town owners in any sport really suck !! Remember Bob Irsay and the Baltimore Colts!!

Go Bears; please make the INDIANAPOLIS COLTS FIRST APPEARANCE IN THE SUPRER BOWL REGRETTABLE !!

BIG RED
02-03-2007, 07:24 AM
I don't care one way or the other. I'm a horseplayer and will watch anyrace I want, when I want. WE know the difference between todays races and the SM days. Do you think the broad I tagged last week has a clue? Stronach knows what he's doing, time will tell if it is right.

(With you on the Bears, cj)

TravisVOX
02-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Stevie is right on in this case. :ThmbUp:

Forego
02-03-2007, 10:37 AM
There is no "contract" in the traditional sense.

Sunshine Millions is a time buy. Magna pays for the NBC air time, Magna pays for NBC's production costs. It recoups whatever income it can through sales of ad time (though given the number of spots which ran for HRTV, Preakness premium seating, Adena Springs, etc., it looks like ad sales didn't go very well).

From a business perspective, Magna loses a boatload of $$$ on this deal. They must view Sunshine Millions as a loss leader, the upside being that its two flagship tracks are on network TV for two hours on a Saturday.

Perhaps they also think they're building the Sunshine Millions "brand," and the losses are justified as they are investing in the future of their product; that's just my guess.

But this is purely and simply a time buy...just like an infomercial...and for that matter, just like all of the ESPN/ABC horse racing telecasts (save for the Belmont and the Breeders' Cup).

rastajenk
02-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Throw in the Strub and the Sham from Santa Anita, and you still have the same two-track, multi-race presentation as last week...only better. Plus, it would be up against the Phoenix golf tournament, not Tiger's annual coming out party.