PDA

View Full Version : Good "At The Races and Beyond" Show

Indulto
01-31-2007, 07:37 PM
http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/schedule.html

Everyone who hasn’t already heard it should catch the replay of today’s At The Races and Beyond radio show which featured an all-star guest line-up for their special with the theme “Mutuel Interests.”

While the guests were not on-air together, speed figure-maker/sellers Brown and Beyer appear to agree that the drug issue is the major problem in the game whereas Crist seemed to disagree with them, minimizing the idea that leading trainers owed their status solely to medication.

Beyer and Crist also seemed to have differing interpretations of what racing’s $15 billion plus annual handle represents.

Beyer's reaction to Brown's advocacy of mass action by horseplayers as "not going to happen" amused me, but he really made me laugh when he indirectly dismissed the host’s support for the “Grand Slam” wager.

IMO the most impressive opinions shared today were those of Maury Wolff as to how racetracks supported by slots adversely affect racing at more prestigious venues.

Congratulations to those putting on the show for this very worthwhile effort.

bigmack
02-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Appreciate the post. Brown wants posted CO2 levels, change of vet records & frozen blood samples to be tested in 4-5 years and is willing to use the ole "squeeze play" with 12,000 subscribers and a "majority" of the whales involved in the game to get it done? Go Jerry - Go Jerry....

cj
02-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Andy Serling Jerry Brown (http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/stream/13107a.mp3)

Ted Mudge Steve Crist (http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/stream/13107b.mp3)

Marury Wolff Andy Beyer (http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/stream/13107c.mp3)

Links to archives of the segments. I ordered them as listed on the site, in case the original poster is wondering.

Indulto
02-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Andy Serling Jerry Brown (http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/stream/13107a.mp3)

Ted Mudge Steve Crist (http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/stream/13107b.mp3)

Marury Wolff Andy Beyer (http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/stream/13107c.mp3)

Links to archives of the segments. I ordered them as listed on the site, in case the original poster is wondering.CJ,
Now you've got me wondering. ;)

Actually, I don't know how to specify links other than to copy&paste them from the address bar. Perhaps you could share how to give names to links as well as your take on what the "celebrities" had to say.

As a figure-maker like Brown and Beyer, what is your position as to whether medication is the number one problem facing the game? Would horseplayers be better off with enforced uniform standards for using medication on horses; or with mandatory publicizing of CO2 levels for each horse both on raceday and 48 hours pre-race?

How does Brown's 12,000 on-line accounts figure square with PaceAdvantage membership and activity?

cj
02-01-2007, 02:34 AM
In this case, I just copied the links straight from the web site as is. The text remains with the links.

However, you can highlight any text, click on the little earth/chain icon above, and enter any web site link you want in a pop up box. That text will then link to whatever site you type in.

I haven't listened to the whole show yet, as it was on too late for me here in Europe. I'll finish today. I think the main problem in the game is the takeout levels, which Jerry Brown also mentions.

As for PaceAdvantage membership and activity, you are asking the wrong guy. I'm just a limited moderator that tries to help when PA isn't around.

DerbyTrail
02-01-2007, 06:06 AM
http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/schedule.html

Everyone who hasn’t already heard it should catch the replay of today’s At The Races and Beyond radio show which featured an all-star guest line-up for their special with the theme “Mutuel Interests.”

Congratulations to those putting on the show for this very worthwhile effort.
Indulto,

Thanks very much for the kind compliment.. I'm glad you enjoyed what I hoped was going to be an especially serious 3 hours with 6 of the most important voices around the game. Your appreciation of the effort extends straight to PA's own "littleguy", Andy Serling, who was instrumental in helping me put the show together Wednesday, and who set the tone for the discourse with his segment kicking off the 'Mutuel Interests' concept.

Based on the reactions we've received so far, I believe we reached a number of thirsty ears, and the show was repeated 1-4am/4-7am this morning on SIRIUS and will be used as a "Best of" for re-airing several times as well... The show keeps evolving, and is on a path towards being a forum and advocate for pro-active change in racing as well as an outlet for horsemen.
Wednesday's show, and previous editions featuring Chris Paasch, Marty Wolfson and Dale Romans voicing their displeasure with SA, AP and PIM stewards' decisions in stakes races, are what we've been aiming for... It means a lot to me to hear that it's appreciated by fans.

As an aside, I was using Bill Nader's fun 'Grand Slam' bet as an example of track management at least trying to innovate wagering concepts. In terms of laughs, the best of the day was from Steve Crist's description of two Pataki NYS RWB appointees as being 'on the sides of milk cartons'.

Thanks to CJ for linking the three seperate hours... Big Mack, thanks for listening... Tonight on ATRAB, Steve Haskin, Rich Eng & Tony Black with their regular Thursday segments, as well as Bill Kaplan (Drums of Thunder in Holy Bull, also has Storm in May, Wildandcrazyguy) and Kieran McLaughlin (Invasor Saturday in the Donn)...

Steve

BillW
02-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Great show Steve. I installed Sirius in the car specifically to catch your show when I was on the road and really enjoy it. Keep Christine Janks coming back too. That has to be my favorite interview re. AP and the breakdowns.

Figman
02-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Derbylist,
Pataki appointed "three" to the NY Racing Board. Why did Steven Crist say "two"? There is a Chairman and two Members.

the little guy
02-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Derbylist,
Pataki appointed "three" to the NY Racing Board. Why did Steven Crist say "two"? There is a Chairman and two Members.

I don't want to answer for Steve but I would assume it is because, fortunately or unfortunately, Bernadette Castro is NOT MIA.

bigmack
02-01-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't want to answer for Steve but I would assume it is because, fortunately or unfortunately, Bernadette Castro is NOT MIA.
It's odd in a way that it turns out to be Indulto to generate this thread.

Without tangengially going adrift I must say that given the farily extemporaneous forum, albeit I trust you have talking points, you're a natural at articulating points succinctly & knowledgably. Expression of thoughts in a forum such as that while being "on-air" is not for everyone.

With the exception of any banter of and/or about NY racing, I found the discussions of interest. Thanks.

njcurveball
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Great Show! Great Host! Great Guests!

Thanks for the link!:ThmbUp:

bigmack
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Big Mack, thanks for listening... Tonight on ATRAB, Steve Haskin, Rich Eng & Tony Black with their regular Thursday segments, as well as Bill Kaplan (Drums of Thunder in Holy Bull, also has Storm in May, Wildandcrazyguy) and Kieran McLaughlin (Invasor Saturday in the Donn)...
Steve
Steve, I've sent the link to a number of people and we all agree it's one of the better offerings that has come out in a LONG time.

Being someone who's worked within entertainment/advertising genres I remember a number of circumstances where we'd hire an expert to go on a talk show. While they were tremendously informed on the topic their expression of thought while on-air became lost as nerves crept in.

The forum you've set-up is of interest as you're getting guests who have something of value to say to anyone who takes the game seriously.

I hesitate to throw out pointers but at an initial blush may I recomend something like three short questions over a period of time rather than three questions contained within one lengthy question. If that makes sense?

I in no way want to criticize what you're doing. Keep up the great shows!

DanG
02-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Great Show! Great Host! Great Guests!

Thanks for the link!:ThmbUp:
Listened briefly to the Ted Mudge spot and will listen to all of them ASAP. This is OUTSTANDING and long overdue to have intelligent dialogue on our game.

Thanks very much for the links. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

BillW
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Steve, TLG,

Seems like a lot of people are listening for the first time. Sounds like you guys need to step up the PR :). BTW comments above for you too TLG - great job.

Bill

Indulto
02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Indulto,

Thanks very much for the kind compliment.. I'm glad you enjoyed what I hoped was going to be an especially serious 3 hours with 6 of the most important voices around the game. Your appreciation of the effort extends straight to PA's own "littleguy", Andy Serling, who was instrumental in helping me put the show together Wednesday, and who set the tone for the discourse with his segment kicking off the 'Mutuel Interests' concept.

Based on the reactions we've received so far, I believe we reached a number of thirsty ears, and the show was repeated 1-4am/4-7am this morning on SIRIUS and will be used as a "Best of" for re-airing several times as well... The show keeps evolving, and is on a path towards being a forum and advocate for pro-active change in racing as well as an outlet for horsemen.

Wednesday's show, and previous editions featuring Chris Paasch, Marty Wolfson and Dale Romans voicing their displeasure with SA, AP and PIM stewards' decisions in stakes races, are what we've been aiming for... It means a lot to me to hear that it's appreciated by fans.

As an aside, I was using Bill Nader's fun 'Grand Slam' bet as an example of track management at least trying to innovate wagering concepts. In terms of laughs, the best of the day was from Steve Crist's description of two Pataki NYS RWB appointees as being 'on the sides of milk cartons'. DT,

My mentioning the “Grand Slam” moment was in appreciation of Beyer’s ability to entertain in person as well as in print. Crist’s “milk carton” remark WAS funny, and brought to mind his “Hello, Mary Lou” column.

Everyone who participated in the show was excellent including tlg whose segments I always listen to in the hope of catching new insights into the NYRA proceedings. I was disappointed that Bergstein didn’t make an appearance.

I also enjoy your interviews with trainers and the horseplayer’s perspective you bring to them. I’m sure most who heard the O’Neill interview prior to the recent big P6 carryover at SA wound up using Moogie.

I’m not convinced that the selections portion of the show is optimal use of the time allotted, especially on days when either of you is reluctant to offer opinions on a bad or tough card. Also, it’s less valuable for archive consumption. Maybe you guys could debate your handicapping approaches to specific races on such days. IMO both you and tlg are at your most entertaining when you interact with guests and callers.

Do all interviews have to be live? I’m sure others would also have loved to have heard portions of your prior discussion with Wolff that you referred to.

Once again, great job by all involved, and best of luck in expanding your audience.

dylbert
02-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I am getting Sirius installed in my vehicle this weekend. Got it as Christmas gift & finally have free weekend for install.

Horse racing and jazz -- this is gift of the year!

levinmpa
02-01-2007, 10:57 PM
ATRAB is an awesome show. I listen daily. JJ Graci is one of a kind. I can't say enough about Steve Byk. He's a terrific handicapper, interviewer and commentator. If you haven't heard this show, do yourself a favor and listen live on the internet or to the archives. I look forward to the Thursday segments with Rich Eng and Friday's with Rick Hammerle, the racing secretary at Santa Anita and Del Mar. I really enjoy listening to racing shows on the radio (internet streams). Here is my rundown:

M - F: Raceday Las Vegas 12-1PM ET www.kshp.com (No Archives)

M - F: At The Races and Beyond 4 - 7PM ET www.attheracesandbeyond.com (Archived Daily)

Saturday: At the Track 10-11AM ET www.knbr.com (No Archives)

Saturday & Sunday: Track Talk 10:30 - 11AM ET www.klav1230am.com (No Archives)

Saturday & Sunday: Raceday Las Vegas 11AM-12PM www.kshp.com (No Archives)

Saturday & Sunday: Inside Racing 11AM-12PM www.racingjason.com (Archived)

Saturday & Sunday: Race & Sports Radio 12-1PM www.xxsportsradio.com (No Archives)

Saturday & Sunday: Roger Stein Show (archive only) www.rogerstein.com (Archived)

I can't listen to all the shows live, so I record them to MP3 on my various PCs for listening at my leasure. If you ever miss a show and want to hear it, I will usually have an archive. Just leave me a message.

Another really good show just recently changed stations and is not currenlty streaming. Thoroughbred Digest with Jay Privman. Today's Racing Digest webmaster told me they are hoping to get the streaming and archiving setup soon. The old link was on todaysracingdigest.com

Zaf
02-01-2007, 11:19 PM
The show is awesome ! I have been listening regularly since July ! The Bykster is a cool guy and I had the pleasure of meeting him at Saratoga this summer and at a handicapping contest at the Albany Teletheather. I also had the pleasure of meeting TLG at Saratoga this past summer. These guys really care about the game with passion !!! The game really needs more people like this ! The Wednesday show was incredible ! :ThmbUp:

Z

Murph
02-02-2007, 12:47 AM
http://www.equineforum.net/about.htm

Pete Kules, “The Doctor of Trackside Commentary”, and Mike Penna, “The Baron of the Backstretch”, are taking equine industry radio coverage to new heights with their weekly talk show, The Lexus Equine Forum. Formerly known as “From the Backstretch to the Winner’s Circle”, the program is the longest continuously airing radio program on Thoroughbred Racing in

DerbyTrail
02-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks to all of the above for the very kind words about the show.. I can recall a thread here about 15-16 months ago critical of a lot of what was being done on it and I've kept that in mind as we try to improve all the time..

If you missed it and would like to hear the show in its' entirity, there's a re-airing of last Wednesday's "Mutuel Interests" Special tomorrow (2/8/07) 4-7pm (Internet only) and on SIRIUS 125 1-4am and 4-7am EST...

http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com

Thanks again for the compliments and suggestions..
Steve