PDA

View Full Version : HENRY KUCK

horseplayer7776
01-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Are there any Kuck Handicapping books that discuss his approach to making pace & variant figures, his formula's etc?

Suff
01-30-2007, 09:25 AM
No.

But thanks for asking (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34107)

Overlay
01-30-2007, 07:17 PM
As far as I'm aware, the only actual book that Kuck produced (aside from his ratings) was Winner's File -- The Logic Behind Successful Handicapping. I can't recall whether he discussed his approach to making figures in it or not.

bobphilo
03-01-2007, 07:26 PM
He wrote "Situation Handicapping" - published in 1981, which deals with using different strategies at different stages of a meet. I haven't read it so I don't know if it includes how he makes his pace or variant figures.

You might want to ask John Del Richio, who posts here, since he is the one who currently compiles the Kuck figures. Of course, the information may be propriatery.

Bob

Tom
03-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Situation Handicapping did not cover mkaing figures. It was a handful of angles/metods geared towards specific tracks or circuits for claiming, allowance, etc, and it was pretty good at the time. Not sure is the stuff would still work today, but now you have me wondering, so I'll take another look.

Good4Now
03-01-2007, 11:16 PM
is a good read. He talks about having Speed, Class and Pace numbers for each runner in a race, but does not explain how he made them.
Reprints of the DRF pages are in the book, copyrighted 1993. Yes I have mine in my lap to verify. He even mentions Beyer numbers and talks about understanding variants. Apparently he also put out a folio titled How to use Speed Figures, don't know if it was something he sent out to clients or what.
Again no explanaton or formulas as to how he got the ratings.

betovernetcapper
03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
I remember that you looked at a race differently depending on the stage of the meeting.

Overlay
03-02-2007, 07:43 AM
He wrote "Situation Handicapping" - published in 1981, which deals with using different strategies at different stages of a meet. I haven't read it so I don't know if it includes how he makes his pace or variant figures.

The only reference to "Situation Handicapping" that I've been able to find (at least as far as a book is concerned, rather than an article) was the one listed as being by Joe Takach. Was Kuck a co-author (perhaps uncredited), or were there two titles by that name?

betovernetcapper
03-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Found my copy and listed author is Henry Kuck. It divides a race meeting into two parts, the first four weeks and the fifth week and later and offers techniques for each.

Overlay
03-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks. I just went on eBay and refreshed my memory about the version of Situation Handicapping that Henry Kuck wrote. I had seen it before. I guess the reason I didn't recall it was that I hadn't bought it, and I believe it was available only from Woodside, or possibly through specialty outlets like Gambler's Book Club or American Turf Monthly, but not on the mass market (like Winner's File).

Dave Schwartz
03-03-2007, 02:11 PM
He did have another publication... can't recall the title. It was about making figures, as I recall but not sure.

I had a copy but (literally) my dog ate it.

Dave

Overlay
03-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Dave:

Are you referring to the "How to Use Speed Figures" title that Good4Now mentioned earlier in the thread? (It was also the subject of this earlier thread from 2004.):

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11965

GameTheory
03-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't think he goes over the method in detail anywhere, but he does state in "How To Use Speed Figures" that he uses individual variants for each race...

Tom
03-03-2007, 03:44 PM
He did have another publication... can't recall the title. It was about making figures, as I recall but not sure.

I had a copy but (literally) my dog ate it.

Dave

Feed him a DRf and get me some pace figs!:D