PDA

View Full Version : Hey Red Sox Fans

melman
01-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I know this board has a few fans of the Red Sox :) and what I read today the news is very good. Looks like they will be getting another hit machine in Todd Helton. This adds to an already great offensive lineup. One thing I did not like was the Sox losing the Trot man and getting the oft injured J. D. Drew to play right field. Only two weeks until pitchers and catchers report. :)

BIG RED
01-29-2007, 10:10 AM
I'll have to check into this Tod Helton, mel.

On Trot, he was your regular Joe type of player. Would dive just about for anything within range. Always walked away from a game dirty, which is kind of the pastime there. But, he also, was injury prone. We never knew if he could stay of the DL, and most of his career here, he hasn't. With a guy like him, you have to take the lumps. Does make sense to replace him with another IP player? Well, I guess Drew stalled the contract negotiating for sometime, and was holding out. That's not what we here now. Red Sox was backing off, unless he signed an out for the team if he injures the same prior injury. Nothing but business in Bean Town now. Still haven't decided if I am the same intense fan that I was once, it's the climate of the new owners that are pushing me away I think?

cj
01-29-2007, 11:15 AM
It is tough to tell how good Helton will be outside of Coors. He isn't getting younger, and he has always hit much better at home than on the road.

Last year, 338 vs 266.

rrbauer
01-29-2007, 12:26 PM
They got Helton to keep J D Drew company on the DL.

melman
01-29-2007, 12:37 PM
:) Never thought of it that way Rich but you may be correct. One thing that should help would be that with the Rockies he was THE GUY and got the old pitch around action. That will not be the case in Boston.

OTM Al
01-29-2007, 02:08 PM
The Sox moves this off season have me kinda confused. Maybe Suff, Red Sox fan #1 in residence can check in with his thoughts on this. I just don't think they are that good this year and I'm not to sure about the Yanks either. That's why I booked a Blue Jays WS win at 20/1 when I was in Vegas.

Suff
01-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I just don't think they are that good this year and I'm not to sure about the Yanks either. .

hmm Interesting you can say that.:lol: :faint: :faint:

Heard about Dice-K?

J.D. Drew

and now Helton!

Rockies will pick up 1/2 his salary. We give up two guys who truly are not everyday guys anyway.

Absolutely, Toronto will be a good team this year. I expect them to be in the hunt.

here's the deal... They got two guys that can hit:

In front of Ramirez & Ortiz

In back of Ramirez & Ortiz
Way I see it... R & O will have a year thatll make the Canseco & Maguire bash brothers season look like a pick up game.

We're talking TRIPLE CROWN for MANNY....and 160 RBI's & 58 Homers for Ortiz.

ohhh my... stand back back so as you don't get hurt. this is gonna be a wild one....:ThmbUp:

cj
01-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Come on suff. It is basically a no lose for Boston, but I wouldn't get too pumped either. He has never hit outside Denver. He will be OK, not much more. His power has left him as well.

This is the kind of guy the Orioles usually sign.

Valuist
01-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Here's Helton's home/road splits. Most guys hit about 60 batting average pts higher in Coors and at least 100 slugging percentage points. Even moreso in Helton's case:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5870/splits;_ylt=An2nNaEBECbgz0kt4U2cwkqFCLcF?year=care er&type=Batting

But he isn't exactly going to a tough hitters park and he may be able to take advantage of the short porch in right, as well as poke some doubles off the Green Monster.

cj
01-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Home Runs totals, oldest to newest...

42, 49, 30, 33, 32, 20, 15

Close to the same amount of games played each year. Going, going, gone...his power, that is.

Valuist
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Home Runs totals, oldest to newest...

42, 49, 30, 33, 32, 20, 15

Close to the same amount of games played each year. Going, going, gone...his power, that is.

I didn't even look at the seasonal numbers. Kind of has the look of steroids inflated stats that start to dissipate when a guy gets off them.
FWIW, I think Helton was a QB at Tennessee before Manning was there.

njcurveball
01-29-2007, 03:56 PM
This is the kind of guy the Orioles usually sign.

This man KNOWS baseball! :ThmbUp:

njcurveball
01-29-2007, 03:57 PM
We're talking TRIPLE CROWN for MANNY....and 160 RBI's & 58 Homers for Ortiz.

:ThmbUp:

LOVE your Bravado! Pick a bottom claimer from Aqueduct to win the Breeders Cup and see which one comes first! :lol:

rrbauer
01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Helton's stats started sagging two years ago (2005) after Larry Walker and Vinny Castilla left the Rockies. When Helton was hitting between Walker and Castilla he was seeing good pitches with runners on base and Castilla had a career-year hitting behind him in 2004. Helton drew over 100 walks and hit around .340 that year.

Sure the Rockies hit well and scored runs at Coors.....problem is that so did the opposition!

Suff
01-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Helton had some kind of Stomach issue that is blamed for his decline.

two words.. Kevin Millar. This guy went all-star when placed near ortiz and ramirez. Now in Baltimore he can't hit the side of barn , or anything that isn't straight.

That's the key... You have to pitch fastballs to the #'s2 and 3 hitters because if you use off speed stuff and miss... Your stuck with 1 on, or 2 on and nobody out facing Ortiz or Ramirez.

Helton can hit fastballs.

Fenway is a band box. Pop ups go off the wall......, get under a bit? No problem...Home Run (s)

Issue is... These guys will see pitches....pitches they can hit.

njcurveball
01-29-2007, 04:11 PM
What is the latest?

Rumor was Sox were offering Mike Lowell and Julian Tavarez and making the Rox pay if they want prospects.

Any fantasy owner will tell you that is a steal if they get Helton for their two biggest clubhouse pains and leaders of the under achievers club!

This is a feather in Epsteins cap if he pulls this off.

Suff
01-29-2007, 04:24 PM
What is the latest?

Rumor was Sox were offering Mike Lowell and Julian Tavarez and making the Rox pay if they want prospects.

Any fantasy owner will tell you that is a steal if they get Helton for their two biggest clubhouse pains and leaders of the under achievers club!

This is a feather in Epsteins cap if he pulls this off.

That's where it stands at the moment. Rox want one or more of Craig Hansen, Manny Delcarmen, Clay Buchholz or Jon Lester .

right now its half the 90 million for Lowell & Tavarez. I can't see the sox parting with hansen, or Buchholz. Delcarmen or Lester more likely in exchange for 3/4'r or all of the 90 million.

Suff
01-29-2007, 11:11 PM
No Deal. Talks over. Helton to stay in Colorado.