PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro - "Tough Day"

Observer
01-27-2007, 09:21 PM
It's not been a good day for Barbaro...

Barbaro - "Tough Day" (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=37294)

Observer
01-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Not Sounding Good.... (http://www.vet.upenn.edu/newsandevents/news/Barbaro_Update1-28.htm)

:(

Suff
01-28-2007, 06:57 PM
I thinks its clear he should have been put down right away. I understand why he was not. It was worth a try?

When I was up Saratoga last summer, I heard from people that probably know..... That Barbaro's Trainer never endorsed or supported any of this.

Take the good though. It brought alot of attention to the Hospital, and equine care in general, and perhaps they learned some things that'll save another Colt next time.

CryingForTheHorses
01-28-2007, 07:11 PM
They need to stop!!..This poor guy has been though enough!!.Surgery after surgery and things are getting worse for him. Its been a great thing to try and save him but now all new problems. God bless him if he makes it but let him go if need be.

the little guy
01-28-2007, 07:34 PM
They need to stop!!..This poor guy has been though enough!!.Surgery after surgery and things are getting worse for him. Its been a great thing to try and save him but now all new problems. God bless him if he makes it but let him go if need be.

Thank you. I'm glad to here a horseman say this, unlike us callous horseplayers, as this whole situation is beginning to become very upsetting.

Tom
01-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Hate to say it, but I think he is probably suffering now. He fought like a champ, but this long after the injury, he has got to be a very unhappy horse.
Screw the breeding - think about the horse.
Very sad news this weekend.

chickenhead
01-28-2007, 07:45 PM
I dont see the harm.

If he wanted to go, he would be gone by now...seems obvious he hasn't given up, even if his body is starting to. If nothing else he got some extra time. No harm no foul.

Topcat
01-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Folks, it is not for us to say whether a horse should be put down-we're not on the scene and as far as I can tell we're not vets.

Observer
01-28-2007, 08:31 PM
I completely agree that it's not for us to judge the decisions being made. None of us are close to the situation at all .. and we only know what is being released. Obviously the latest turn of events sounds troubling.

This is the first time the public has been so closely tied to the treatment of a horse. Does anyone have any idea what complications might have been along the path for the filly Dancinginmydreams? The Phipps filly suffered a similar injury, and amazingly pulled through.

Each horse is an individual case. And each decision is a very personal one. But as long as Barbaro is still fighting for his life .. for me, it's understandable that the human connections are continuing the fight with him.

And for the record, I never thought this was about breeding purposes. With as beat up as his right leg looked since the cast removal, and as unstable as his left hoof will be for each and every day of the remainder of his life .. the odds of him being a stallion were far worse than the 50-50 initially put on his survival.

Tom
01-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Hope you're all right, but is it the vet's call - or the owner's?
Just hate to see a champion suffering.

Suff
01-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Hope you're all right, but is it the vet's call - or the owner's?
Just hate to see a champion suffering.

Or the Insurer.

I understand a $25 Million dollar Policy was taken out between the Derby Win and Preakness start.

I'd imagine they'd have a rooting interest in seeing him alive?

bigmack
01-28-2007, 09:38 PM
I trust the owners & Dr Dean when they've postured all along with the stance of, "if and when he displays a 'quit' in his demeanor, we'll stop the fight". From my minds eye the fight is worthy if he shows he wants to continue.

With repeated pain meds it's tough to call. What has made the story difficult is the ups and downs. When the downs have come many step forward and say 'why bother'

The microscopic news coverage has made us feel every bump in the road & some are getting road weary.

In the end, it's their call.

Pace Cap'n
01-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Or the Insurer.

I understand a $25 Million dollar Policy was taken out between the Derby Win and Preakness start.

I'd imagine they'd have a rooting interest in seeing him alive?

I would imagine so too. I'm sure a pretty penny has been expended thus far.

Not long ago I was listening to a locally-produced program on NPR and the subject was horses--the part I heard concerned show horses. The subjuect of insurance came up. I am assuming thoroughbreds would be treated similarly.

They were saying that when the horse was insured, the specific policy was for the loss of ability to perform. Should the horse suffer a non-fatal injury that ended his career, a claim might be filed. In order to collect, the owners were required by the insurance company to euthanize the horse. No two ways about it.

The parties speaking related how marriages had been ruined when the spouses disagreed on the proper course of action, or one acted without the other's knowledge.

With this radio conversation in mind, I am supposing the Jacksons' have received no insurance monies to cover Barbaro's treatment. If that is indeed the case, they must truly love the horse and have his best interests at heart.

Suff
01-28-2007, 10:35 PM
The parties speaking related how marriages had been ruined when the spouses disagreed on the proper course of action, or one acted without the other's knowledge.

With this radio conversation in mind, I am supposing the Jacksons' have received no insurance monies to cover Barbaro's treatment. If that is indeed the case, they must truly love the horse and have his best interests at heart.

What's been said is the Jacksons are paying out of pocket for his care.

That same wealth afforded the premium on the policy. Which was two-fold.

Insured in the event of accidental death, and insured against loss of stallion revenues. I'd assume a sperm sample was taken?

Either way....many ways to skin a cat. Insurance company could be financing a fellowship, or research grant at the hospital....

I have no basis for my suggestion except pessimism

44PACE
01-29-2007, 12:18 AM
If this last effort does not work they will put an end to the pain.I think we all will know very soon.