PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ AVG or something, problem is back..

JPinMaryland
01-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Okay here's the problem right now, AVG expired on 1/15. I made sure to download a new AVG program before then and I did. About 1/22 I started to notice my favorites menu keep disappearing when I surf the net, also my printer wont print from the PRINT menu although it will print from fast print button or whatever it is. So I know something is up.

The virus scan that ran a few days ago, ran and picked up like one thing and deleted it. So Im like fine this is great. But then the printer problem happened and I think there is something else I need to do. Is it AVG? I know they said to delete the old version of AVG and I thought I did or is there some trick to this?

Help, I am posting a separate thread on this problem, so please dont be offended.

JPinMaryland
01-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Christ is it any where lay people have so much trouble with this?

Okay so here I am running Adaware..I hit the scan now button and leave the computer. Come back. Here is what the freakin page says:

"Adaware. Copyright, bla bla bla...

Performing conditional scans...
Scan complete. //////////////////

1 Running processes
34 process modules...

Now scanning click cancel to stop."

Whatever, what the fawk am I supposed to think? Is it done scanning or not? DO I hit cancel and go to some other program or will this kill the scanning?

ANOTHER: What were they thinking? moment.

Dick Schmidt
01-27-2007, 06:34 PM
I run AVG every day and have had no problems with either version. I've had the new version for three or four months and have had no problems. I don't think your problems are caused by AVG.

Adaware is telling you right in the middle of the screen that the scan is finished. If you want more bells and whistles and pretty screens and handholding, pay for a program. Freeware is traditionally minimalist in nature, but this is one of the best scanners out there.

Dick

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off."

JPinMaryland
01-27-2007, 11:37 PM
It's not a question of bells and whistles. It's a qustion of not having a statement that contradicts another statement, 4 lines above it. Bells and whistles???

ANyhow you're right, its likely not AVG, I ran Adaware seven times and the machine seems stable right now. Adaware another one that doesnt explain itself...Run the scan, it tells me (in so many words ) download the new virus things. Okay I download them, run the scan again. Now it finishes it doesnt tell me if I'm done or should do another scan..Repeat 4 or 5 times. But it looks good so far.

kitts
01-29-2007, 01:43 PM
I found out the hard way that AVG and Win 98 V1 (my roommate's machine)do not get along well. After install and update, computer will no longer shut down the normal way. Uninstall the AVG and all is OK.

Ponyplayr
01-29-2007, 03:15 PM
It's not a question of bells and whistles. It's a qustion of not having a statement that contradicts another statement, 4 lines above it. Bells and whistles???

ANyhow you're right, its likely not AVG, I ran Adaware seven times and the machine seems stable right now. Adaware another one that doesnt explain itself...Run the scan, it tells me (in so many words ) download the new virus things. Okay I download them, run the scan again. Now it finishes it doesnt tell me if I'm done or should do another scan..Repeat 4 or 5 times. But it looks good so far.I was having a similar problem recently with Ad-aware. I deleted it, then downloaded a new copy..installed and updated it and every thing is good. I did the same thing with Spy Bot.