PDA

View Full Version : Here's My Problem

Dan Montilion
01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Recently I have been having this problem...

When attempting to get on the internet I will be unable to connect. Along those same lines in the morning (I keep my computer on) I get a "new network detected window". I have called my IP and they said that my computer is detecting an IP address from a router, I don't have a router. I have been able to reconnect by unplugging the modem, waiting and re-plugging if you will. This has not been fail safe as on occasion I have had to do this move a few times. Just to add I have been able to deny the "new network detected window". My IP has told me that this is likely an ethernet card problem. Any help or suggestions and a last question does this sound like a security issue?

Cable Modem

Windows XP

bigmack
01-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I have reason to believe that your problem stems from the machine going into standby mode. Go into control panel then power options. Set system standby and system hibernates to never-neverland.

If there's any justice in this crazy mixed-up world your system will then be as right as rain.

JustRalph
01-27-2007, 04:32 PM
I have reason to believe that your problem stems from the machine going into standby mode. Go into control panel then power options. Set system standby and system hibernates to never-neverland.

If there's any justice in this crazy mixed-up world your system will then be as right as rain.

I am with mack on this one.............I have seen this several times

Dan Montilion
01-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks Gents. However, the advised settings are already in place.

Since posting this morning I have lost the internet connection (while connected and actively using) a few times. I've disconnected the cable at the modem and re-powered the modem. This gets me back on line. I have noticed when I lose connection the cable light on the Toshiba pcx2500 goes from solid green to a slow flashing green. Modem problem? Cable line problem?

What would cause the disconnection?

bigmack
01-27-2007, 05:03 PM
when I lose connection the cable light on the Toshiba pcx2500 goes from solid green to a slow flashing green. Modem problem? Cable line problem?
What would cause the disconnection?
More than likely it's the pug into the modem. If you're using a splitter, get another one. All in all, solid up all connects. If you're still having probs call the cable co and have them 'ping' your ip. If your still having a prob have them stop out. If they schedule an appointment for the morning, leave for that morning and come back in the afternoon, they'll arrive around 5PM

Dick Schmidt
01-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Couple of thoughts:

Get a router. Even if you only use just one computer and don't need one, you really do need one. It is more than a device to distribute incoming data, it is also a hardware firewall and is much tougher to hack. If you aren't using a router, some of your problems may well be caused by one or more viruses or worms who slipped by your filters.

Shut your computers down once in a while and reboot. Just because you quit a program it doesn't mean that it has relinquished all the memory it was using or that some parts of it aren't still active. A cold boot is the only sure way to start fresh. I know it's a PITA, and you don't have to do it every day, but I find that things go much smoother if I reboot a couple of times a week.

Dick

The final test of a gentleman is his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him.

njcurveball
01-27-2007, 06:45 PM
From your original post, I cannot tell if you are using a Desktop or Laptop? If it is a newer laptop it may have a wireless interface.

Even though you dont have a wireless router, is there one within a few hundred feet perhaps being used by a Neighbor?

Also, if you to a CMD prompt, you can use IPCONFIG to see your IP address. You also can use the release command (IPCONFIG/RELEASE) and renew command (IPCONFIG/RENEW) to get a fresh IP Address.

If you are using a cat 5 cable right into the Modem, than your IP will be static.

I agree with Dick that many programs do handle Memory well and over time, you will lose performance without re-booting.

You also might want to take a look in your start-up for funny programs. Perhaps there is some kind of worm on your system that is trying to connect to another IP?

If you have Virus checking software, re-boot and use it in Safe mode. Also make sure you have a firewall enabled.

Jim

Hosshead
01-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Couple of thoughts:

Get a router. Even if you only use just one computer and don't need one, you really do need one. It is more than a device to distribute incoming data, it is also a hardware firewall and is much tougher to hack. If you aren't using a router, some of your problems may well be caused by one or more viruses or worms who slipped by your filters.

Shut your computers down once in a while and reboot. Just because you quit a program it doesn't mean that it has relinquished all the memory it was using or that some parts of it aren't still active. A cold boot is the only sure way to start fresh. I know it's a PITA, and you don't have to do it every day, but I find that things go much smoother if I reboot a couple of times a week.

Dick
When I got a router, the daily attacks on my computer (as flagged by my antivirus program) - Went From Many, -- to NONE !

Dan Montilion
01-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks again for all of the help. It turns out it was an IP system area wide problem. However, I incorporated many of the suggestions so graciously offered.

JustRalph
01-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks again for all of the help. It turns out it was an IP system area wide problem. .

Oh yeah? I would have loved to hear that one? Did they tap dance down your driveway on the way back to the service truck?

Dan Montilion
01-29-2007, 06:14 PM
They never came to the house. I was told be the second tier customer service rep that after testing other modems and line test in the area that others were having similar issues. And that this would require passing along the problem to the local office if you will. During the problems I mentioned there was a serious but slowly developing degradation of upload and download speeds along with packet loss. All I can say is for the past two days all seems well. But if I do need them at the house in the future I will ask that they don a fedora and whistle show tunes

bigmack
01-29-2007, 08:50 PM
if I do need them at the house in the future I will ask that they don a fedora and whistle show tunes
If they do show up in the manner you described I'd be a bit leary as those with a hankerin' towards show tunes are typically big fans of the Tony Awards.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2306/wowpiratedance0oq6oe.gif