PDA

View Full Version : New Equipment

karlskorner
10-28-2002, 06:13 PM
Today at CRC, the #6 horse in the 6th race was wearing rubber bands just above the hocks (2nd joint, rear legs), never saw that before. The first time she passed in the saddle up area I was hanging over the rail and noticed them, the 2nd and 3rd time she passed I was on my knees, about 3 feet away, no question 1/2", more likely 3/4", as they were taut, genuine Office Depot tan rubber bands. I asked the groom what they were for, but of course he didn't speak English, so I don't know. I have heard of trying to 'keep the horse together", but rubber bands.

Karl

Whitehos
10-28-2002, 10:12 PM
Karl,
The rubber bands were used to hold the bandages on. They were slipped off when the bandage wad removed and forgotten????

Whitehos who has used rubber bands on horses.

karlskorner
10-29-2002, 07:48 AM
Whitehos;

Sounds logical, excpet I check for "temp's" when they come into the paddock, this horse was clean. When I pointed to them to the Groom, he replied in Spanish, which of course I didn't understand. Someone else questioned him also, so he was aware of them. They were above the hock and left there as she went to post. Could have been left on in the receiving barn, but I doubt that, as "temp's" are removed prior to saddleing, she was being walked in saddleing area prior to being saddled.

Karl

MikeDee
10-29-2002, 08:57 AM
I think there is more to it then this. I have seen some pro football recievers wearing rubber bands just above the elbow and I have been wondering why they are doing this. Anybody know?

PurplePower
10-29-2002, 09:21 AM
Theory behind using rubber bands above the hocks (more often grooms use electrical tape) is that it keeps horses from "speedy cutting" (hitting the inside of their back legs). Physically the tape is thought to slightly twist the tendon thereby keeping the rear legs wider apart. Anatomically this doesn't figure as the tendon in question is a flexor tendor that pulls the lower part of leg back as horse runs. In Louisiana (where I was born and raised) there is a thought that a voodoo queen came up with a "spell" and any horse wearing those bands above the hocks would not only not "hit" themselves but would not break down. One thing I learned from a Louisiana groom while training - the groom definitely feels more confident about his horse's chances when his horse is wearing the tape. (And racehorses do pick up on the attitude of the other "animals" in their herd group. When everyone in barn is feeling confident the runner has a better chance of feeling that way as well. )