PDA

View Full Version : Internet Cache

BIG RED
01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
I just finished using the easy cleaner tool , works great, helped my reg. I went over to PCPitstop and did a scan. It seemed to me that my computer was taking forever to boot up, not no more because of the easy cleaner. Got rid of a lot of start ups I don't even use. Heres my qualm, PCPit says I have a ton of stuff in my Cache. Now, I have dumped everything, disk cleaner, the easy cleaner, and the CCleaner. Where the heck is the cache. It still says it has a bunch of stuff.

Is it safe to just empty the cache? I did do a search here to try and find out, but only came up with 3 threads to no avail.

Question on duplicates. This easy cleaner found a ton of them. Lists them in pairs, triples ect. I can delete them ( all but one I keep I guess), but noticed they may be 1 didgit different, is this to dangerous?

My computer shuts down quick and boots up much faster now, but would like to know what to do with the 'cache' and with duplicates?? Thanks

michiken
01-23-2007, 05:28 PM
It is probably the web browser cache. All browser download things to your hard drive when you request a web page.

It speeds up the browsing the next time you go to the site because it does not have to re-download items like photos, style sheets, etc.

Directions for cleaning the IE Cache are Here. (http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2636.html) I set Mozilla Firefox to do this automatically when I close the browser.

PS - if you view the contents of the cache, you can see where anybody using the browser has been. If you have kids, this could be handy.

BIG RED
01-23-2007, 06:03 PM
I did that already, the delete all types of files and temps? This is what it says now.

Remove internet cache..............................141KB

Remove temporary files.............................8097KB

Like I mentioned earlier, machine is running a lot better, but why aren't these gone? Or is this scan full of it.

BIG RED
01-23-2007, 06:45 PM
It's nothing to worry about, the cache. I forgot all about firefox, I use two browsers :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me about the duplicate files/ can or should I delete them? There are over 5,000 files this easy cleaner found.

michiken
01-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Remove internet cache..............................141KB

Remove temporary files.............................8097KB

It is ok to delete these files.

Regarding the duplicate files, if you had say Windows 95 and then upgraded to 98 and so on, you will have duplicate program files. If you chose to backup the previous operating system, you will even have more crap on the computer.

Can you post a screen cap or a small set of examples of the duplicate files before you delete them?

BIG RED
01-23-2007, 07:02 PM
They all have the same dates, same size, and same CRC #, but they are different file figures

C:\ProgramFiles\BigFix\ Data\emachines\6 1.txt

C:\ProgramsFiles\BigFix\_Data\emachines\8_1.txt

now the info which would be way to the right is the same. Have exact dates, type, times, size and CRC#(whatever that is) It wouldn't paste for me

I clicked on one and it said empty, but I don't want to delete something I may need. or have to go by hand and click on all 5000 and delete

BIG RED
01-23-2007, 07:07 PM
This is new with Windows XP Home

michiken
01-23-2007, 07:25 PM
I would not hesitate to delete all files:

.bak
.bmp
.old
.sav
Any zero byte or empty files.

The text files look like emachines uses them for the big fix - System Restore maybe? I would save for now until you have time to read some of them UNLESS they are empty or zero bytes in size.

DO NOT delete any .dll or .exe files.

BIG RED
01-23-2007, 07:26 PM
ok sounds good thanks, and the 0 bytes are very easy to see. I can zip thru most of this quick.

JustRalph
01-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I would not hesitate to delete all files:

.bak
.bmp
.old
.sav
Any zero byte or empty files.

The text files look like emachines uses them for the big fix - System Restore maybe? I would save for now until you have time to read some of them UNLESS they are empty or zero bytes in size.

DO NOT delete any .dll or .exe files.

why .bmp ?

michiken
01-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Ralph, most bitmaps (.bmp) that were on my old windows were desktop backgrounds. Bad ones at that. I torched them.

JustRalph
01-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Ralph, most bitmaps (.bmp) that were on my old windows were desktop backgrounds. Bad ones at that. I torched them.

I get that, but some people still work with them for certain programs. In fact some programs that you install use them as the graphic backgrounds for the apps. Delete them and the app crashes. If you are gonna kill them, just make sure they aren't in a folder under "program files" FYI