PDA

View Full Version : 'SUPERHORSE' handicapping method

rockchuk
01-22-2007, 02:35 PM
I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this.

I have for sale an original 95 page copy of the 'Superhorse' handicapping method book. I purchased it new in 1990. It's in good condition.
Thank you.

found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=429&item=230080875581

ryesteve
01-22-2007, 02:46 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33801

Synchronicity is an amazing thing...

njcurveball
01-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I have for sale an original 95 page copy of the 'Superhorse' handicapping method book. I purchased it new in 1990. It's in good condition.
Thank you.

I think today is your lucky day! :lol:

Cesario!
01-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Either a brilliant plan to stir up demand, or an amazing coincidence!

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2007, 06:51 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33801

Synchronicity is an amazing thing...

Not only that, but the original poster's name is GOLDMINER.....

Check out what rockchuk's main business on EBay consists of.....

Holy cow is this getting pathetic!

PlanB
01-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I think today is your lucky day! :lol:

You, who sold some obscure professor's scribbles for ~300K on Ebay, should cast a stone?

rockchuk
01-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Not only that, but the original poster's name is GOLDMINER.....

Check out what rockchuk's main business on EBay consists of.....

Holy cow is this getting pathetic!

LOL - I assure you that we are not the same person, though it really is a strange coincidence. If I was into that sort of thing I would not have chosen the obvious name of 'goldminer'. I simply have one copy and am doing house cleaning and would be happy to get enough dough to take my wife to lunch. :-)

Hey, I did run a gob of races on that system on paper back in the 90's and it did do what he claimed.....however, the odds were such that while it picked a high percentage of winners, the amount won wasn;t that great. Just a nice, safe, 'boring' system basically. But maybe with some 'tweaking' it could be juiced up. I dont really know as I'm no expert.

But again, I am not that other poster, no way, no how......

ryesteve
01-22-2007, 10:42 PM
... and then when we find out both posts came from the same IP, the back-pedal is going to be, "No, like I said, we're really not the same person... but ok, he's a friend of mine who was using my PC"

Dave Schwartz
01-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Working pretty hard to sell a single, small item. Or is the expectation much greater?

His feedback pct on eBay is excellent, however.

Dave

rockchuk
01-23-2007, 04:15 PM
... and then when we find out both posts came from the same IP, the back-pedal is going to be, "No, like I said, we're really not the same person... but ok, he's a friend of mine who was using my PC"

I tell you what, friend, if our IP's are the same I'll give you not only 10K in cash, but my firstborn son....who is now 28, but still, you can have him anyways. You got my word on it. :kiss: :)

rockchuk
01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Working pretty hard to sell a single, small item. Or is the expectation much greater?

His feedback pct on eBay is excellent, however.

Dave

Handicappers must be a suspicious bunch in general. I thought it might be of interest to someone here and maybe I'll get enough to take my wife to lunch....or at least for the tip! :-) That's the extent of my motives in this thing........

Murph
01-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Handicappers must be a suspicious bunch in general. I thought it might be of interest to someone here and maybe I'll get enough to take my wife to lunch....or at least for the tip! :-) That's the extent of my motives in this thing........

.Welcome to Pace Advantage rock.

Murph

ryesteve
01-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I tell you what, friend, if our IP's are the same I'll give you not only 10K in cash, but my firstborn son....who is now 28, but still, you can have him anyways.
Hey PA or CJ... help me out here with some sleuthing. I could use an indentured servant :D

banacek
01-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Maybe I should try this technique to get rid of my copy of the "Dot System" on ebay.;)

Light
01-23-2007, 05:58 PM
I thought it might be of interest to someone here and maybe I'll get enough to take my wife to lunch..

You need lunch $ for the wife. But Superhorse is so bad you have to sell it rather than use it to make lunch $. My condolences to the sucker who buys it.

PaceAdvantage
01-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Hey PA or CJ... help me out here with some sleuthing. I could use an indentured servant :D

I am the only one who has access to IP address information....I value a user's privacy to such an extent that I won't allow even trusted moderators to have access to that kind of information.

And besides, it's relatively simple for the determined poster to camouflage their IP address these days.

But let's put it another way....if I had good evidence that they were the same person, they wouldn't be posting here anymore....

trying2win
01-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Maybe I should try this technique to get rid of my copy of the "Dot System" on ebay.;)

Banacek,

Is that the original one by Howard Henkin? No! I'm not interested in buying it. Just curious, because I've seen another type of "DOT SYSTEM" on the market the last few years. I don't know if this newer "DOT SYSTEM" is a revamp of the original, or an entirely different method with a similar style of putting 'dots' besides the potential winners on your program.

T2W

T2W

timtam
01-24-2007, 04:35 AM
RPM systems came out with a Dot System 2 which actually had nothing

to do with Howard Henkins' method. You took some rules and added dots

for certain criteria. I think the original topped this one .

ryesteve
01-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I prefer the dot system where you count the dapples on each horse's butt, and box the three highest numbers.

If anyone ends up selling this method on ebay, please send me 10% of the proceeds via PayPal

banacek
01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Banacek,

Is that the original one by Howard Henkin? No! I'm not interested in buying it. Just curious, because I've seen another type of "DOT SYSTEM" on the market the last few years. I don't know if this newer "DOT SYSTEM" is a revamp of the original, or an entirely different method with a similar style of putting 'dots' besides the potential winners on your program.

T2W

The original. And it's yours for $99.95!

njcurveball
01-24-2007, 02:11 PM
You, who sold some obscure professor's scribbles for ~300K on Ebay, should cast a stone?

I want two of what you are having. :lol:

I haven't sold anything on Ebay, but hey if I sell something for 300k you are certainly getting a bottle of the best! :faint:

njcurveball
01-24-2007, 02:13 PM
And besides, it's relatively simple for the determined poster to camouflage their IP address these days.

Can you please explain or point in the right direction on this. I went through a ton of research and all I found was torrent servers that slow down your computer and suck up your bandwidth.

thanks!

njcurveball
01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
The original. And it's yours for $99.95!

The "original" DOT system was basically a consensus point system using different selectors. Anyone using a computer to post would get a good laugh or an even better cry if they forked over $9.95 for it, let alone $99.95! :lol:

I am guessing you were telling a joke here, so good show old man! :lol:

singunner
01-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I believe they're called "Tor" servers... I've never been aware of any relation between torrents and IP-masking.

rockchuk
01-24-2007, 05:49 PM

I will have you know sir, that my teeth, as well as my son's, are all original and in good condition!

rockchuk
01-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Welcome to Pace Advantage rock.

Murph

Hey, thanks, Murph..... :)

njcurveball
01-25-2007, 10:30 AM
I believe they're called "Tor" servers... I've never been aware of any relation between torrents and IP-masking.

Thank you for the clarification. I confused a Torrent server with a Proxy server. But if you have any pertinent info, it would be greatly appreciated.

First_Place
01-27-2007, 07:55 PM
(not too bright) Light said:

"But Superhorse is so bad you have to sell it rather than use it to make lunch $. My condolences to the sucker who buys it."

"Sucker" is in the eyes of the beholder. Yeah, Superhorse is "so bad"...boo, hoo, hoo...I guess I'll have to return ALL my Pick 3 winnings courtesy of it.

FP

Handiman
01-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Can someone offhand tell me what the life of a copyright is, before the copywitten material enters the public domain?

Handi

Overlay
01-28-2007, 03:03 PM
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc

Handiman
01-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks Overlay. As I understand the code, Superhorse, copywritten pre 1978, should be protected until 2053. What happens when you cannot find the publisher or the author of a copyright protected item?

Handi

Overlay
01-28-2007, 07:38 PM
From http://www.copyright.com/ccc/do/viewPage?pageCode=h10#eccsfaq16 :

"If the copyright holder cannot be located, can I just copy the material?

"No. There is no exemption for making unauthorized reproductions. If the copyright holder cannot be located for permission, do not use the item."

Not sure if this applies to your particular situation, but it's as close as I could find.

Handiman
01-29-2007, 03:09 AM
It is my friend. I really appreciate it. I ask cause I took my original 'Superhorse' manual and computerized it. I've been testing it at different tracks tonight in my data files. Some very interesting stuff happening.

I just used it to handicap Mountaineer from last night. I let the computer look back four races and find races within 1 furlong of todays distance. I then let the computer pick the pace line. Then it crunches the numbers. I also let it consider all horses. I did not cut down to just the contenders. Here's how it did at mountaineer in it's top two picks from last nights card:

1. $81.00 winner 2nd top pick
2. $10.00 winner top pick
3. $82.40 winner top pick
4. miss
5. 2nd place 2nd top pick
6. miss
7. $10.80 winner top pick
8. miss
9. miss

When I saw these results, I did this..:lol: I couldn't believe it. It did fairly well at other tracks too. But this was completely crazy. I may post picks tomorrow in the selection section just for fun.

I did this because of all the views concerning 'Superhorse.' I never really gave it a chance when I got it. Seemed too much like work to select the pace lines and do everything by hand. So I shelved it. This thread brought it back to mind.

Anyway....it was fun programming it.

Handi :)

BillW
01-29-2007, 03:22 AM
Can someone offhand tell me what the life of a copyright is, before the copywitten material enters the public domain?

Handi

Handi,

Is this is regarding you programming it for your personal use as opposed to creating a billion dollar business with the information and retiring rich? I'm certainly not a lawyer but I think the 2 situations are treated differently. If you intend personal use only, you're probably OK.

Handiman
01-29-2007, 05:02 AM
Yes. I programmed it for my own use. Did it mainly because of the two very differing views that was posted here. Wanted to give it a chance before I spouted off concerning my view. But I must say that I did not rule out selling a few copies. But I realize, after getting answers to the copyright questions, that will not be possible.

If I were to find the publisher and they were to say.."We don't care," then that would be a different story. By the way...the Mountaineer card was for the 27th, and not the 28th.

BIG RED
01-29-2007, 05:08 AM
By the way...the Mountaineer card was for the 27th, and not the 28th.

Did the program no this? :lol:

There is no way it would be a problem for personal use. Creating and selling a program based entirely on his book I would think there would be. How about this question: What if Handiman made the program , then sold his selections? I think that would be a gray area, and, how would they prove he infringed.

Overlay
01-29-2007, 06:27 AM
If the original Superhorse was not published in software form, or did not contain computer code showing how to write a program based on it, wouldn't this situation be similar to what happened with the old hard-copy title Pro-Rated Longshots by Dan Geer (that American Turf Monthly markets), where somebody else wrote a software program based on the book that ATM markets as a separate item, but under the Pro-Rated Longshots name. (I don't know what royalty or copyright arrangements might have been agreed to there, however.)

Donnie
01-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Well guys, I guess I should step forward and let everyone know I am the "sucker" who bought that copy of Superhorse on Ebay. (BTW- I love people with closed minds-- they just keeping doing things the way they have always done them, and always end up with the same results!!) I buy these old systems for review and study to find if there are any "ängles" I may want to incorporate into my handicapping. I have taken more than one idea and improved my game with it. I especially like to look at some of the betting methods used by the different authors!

Handi- congrats on the program! Hope it moves forward for you in a big way! I haven't recieved my copy yet, but if you post up some selections with it, I'll be watching them closely. MNR is one of my favorite tracks, so I chuckled pretty good when you posted those results. Now if you ever need someone to beta test it for you...don't be afraid to ask! :) Best of luck!!

-Donnie

Light
01-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Allmost every "system",I have tried seems to have had an abnormaly strange and successful debut. I had that with "Pops and Tips" picking a cold exacta paying $1200 for $2. I had similar sucess with"cream of the crop". After trying various systems,I decided to make my own. Its debut also picked a $1000 exacta and shortly afterwards a 1/4 million dollar P6(which I didn't play).

The problem comes when the program goes cold. Then you start analyzing it. You dissect its foundation and principles. Superhorse is based on one of the oldest methods of handicapping that many handicappers have unknowingly tried and has proven to be a loser. About a year ago,I told my handicapping buddy who is a pure numbers picker,how to use "superhorse". He thought I was a genius. He was nailing them,including a 5k tri.He even tipped me when he won. I only told him about it cause anything had to be better than what he was using. He's now lost everything he made with Superhorse and then some. When a system cant stand the test of time,its sold on Ebay.

hcap
01-29-2007, 12:03 PM
My bother who is a strictly paper and pencil method guy-hates computers said to me-"A method that starts off good is the kiss of death". He has probably tried every RPM system. Used to call me every week with the latest, that often won on the first old racing form he grabbed. Now he waits till the second.

The real problem comes when you have the same 100 racing forms, and you are testing you're own system. Subconsciously you know where the longshots are. Even before you dig out that race, you may begin to backfit your system to pick that $81 winner a couple of forms down. God may not play dice with the universe, but maybe a shell game with handicappers.

Handiman
01-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Hey guys,

I appreciate the responses. As I said, I did this as a fun exercise. I don't ever sell any of my handicapping material I purchase, because I always like to go back and review and see if there is anything that, while not still in vogue, may have some value as most handicappers have moved on and are not using it anymore.

With Superhorse, I was too lazy to check out the system. As with many hardened, mechanical systems, paceline selection is key. Let me say that again. PACELINE SELECTION IS KEY!! I have been writing horseracing programs on and off for over 10 years. I am willing to bet I have written more programs than most of you have even seen. I have used and tested alot of commercial software also. Procaps, Allways, All the Sartin programs, HTR, ProPace, an old DOS program from A1 and a few more. If I chose the right paceline with those that used them, I was good to go. But if not, they just picked duds like everything else.

I am not promoting Superhorse. It was just brought to the board by someone, and I happened to have it. So I pitched in my info. After seeing the comments, I thought it would be fun to really give it a try and use it correctly and then post some results.

Mountaineer(01-27) was not the first card that I used to test it out. I had tested about 10 different tracks on multiple days, before doing the Mountaineer date. Aqueduct, Penn, Gulf, Tampa, Turfway, Turf Paradise, Belmont, Beulah, Santa Anita and a couple more before doing Mountaineer. The results, like I said have been interesting. It's just Mountaineer was a standout...almost unbelievable. In fact, if I hadn't seen it for myself, I probably wouldn't have believed it. As for back fitting, I know what that's all about. I have done that with many programs. But this was done by the book. None of my own BS put into it.

Anyway, I may post Mountaineer tonight as I do each race. I don't expect to be hitting $80 winners. In fact if history proves anything, I'm likely to lose my shirt. But it's an old shirt, so not really that big a deal.

See ya at Mountaineer tonight.

Handi

hcap
01-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Didn't mean to imply you were backfitting. I meant it as a more general sticky item. Like it always starts off great.

Actually my brother who I mentioned, would test a system, and have it start off great, and then fall apart. But then he would realize something along the lines of "hey if I only played jockeys wearing red caps", he would get the 2 super longshots, and now not have to bet the 100 other or so plays that fit the conditions of the system, becuse of NO red jockey caps. Consequently he only bet 5 races instead of $200 and returned $150 for his ten bucks.
Great roi huh?
I have done the same.
Good luck with Superhorse.

Handiman
01-29-2007, 07:06 PM
hcap,

No problem my friend. I understood exactly what you were speaking about.

I am really bummed out. I went to do Mountaineer tonight and they are canceled. I could have cried. After my last post, I tested some more race cards. I did Mountaineer's card from last night. There were only two races, as the rest I guess were canceled also. Anyway, ole' Superhorse did it's regular thing and listed the horses and their ratings. I set the program up, so that horses are dispayed in order, with the horses ranked in decending order. So bottom of the list is best horse and so on up the screen. Just easier looking at bottom of the screen.

Anyway, I have been just checking top two picks. At MNR in the 1st last night, the top ranked horse out of the money.....the 2nd top pick won.......I'd put a shot of the screen up, but I don't know how to do that on a board like this....Needless to say, the winner paid $152.00.....Again I was laughing when I saw this result. The program missed the 2nd race. I don't know what the future will hold for this endeavor, but really fun fooling around with it.

Handi :jump:

hcap
01-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Amazing. What are some of the other tracks where it did well?

Gee, now that I think of it I gotta call my bro'. Maybe he's got a copy. He use to have the entire RPM catalogue. :jump: :jump:

Handiman
01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Suprisingly enough it did well at Aqueduct and Charletown. Gulfstream not so much. I didn't record any results since I was just playing around. But after Mountaineer, I will be looking much closer.

Penn seemed to do well too. It actually did fine at all the tracks I mentioned. It hits 1.50 horses along with 150.00 horses. Really wierd I have to say.

Handi

Hammerhead
01-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Ok folks just opened my original Stupor Horse a bit dusty but still intack minus the cover. I must admit I don't recall using it but after glancing threw it I do recall reading it. Looks like it was written about 20 years ago.
Says I don't have to study it indepth but head to Chapter 3. ;)

wes
02-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Is that one of the systems that Phillips rated a three(3). With 5 as a break even system.

wes