PDA

View Full Version : VODKA !!! The new Juice.

karlskorner
01-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Portions of an article from Yahoo Sports by Eric Olson, Sports Wrtier (AP)

Vet accused of giving horses Vodka before races.

OMAHA, Neb (AP) The president of the Nebraska Veterinary Medical Assoc. has been accused of injecting racehorses with alcohol 75 times, charging $15.00 a shot and writing it off as a "pre-race adjustment".

Scott Waterman, executive director of the Lexington,Ky-based Racing Medication and Testing Consortium,Inc., believes the prosecution for administering alcohol to a horse is a first in U.S. racing. Alcohol injection have been whispered about in racing circles for years, Waterman said. The alcohol ( 2 ounces ) is used to calm jittery horses before they go to the starting gate.

The University of Pennsylvania has developed a blood test that can detect alcohol in horses, and the University of Calif-Davis is studying the possible development of a post-race breathalyzer.

The blood test is quite expensive, because the technology is relatively new.

(END)

To quote Joe Takach " 50 percent of the race is out of your control "

crownx
01-22-2007, 11:08 AM
no doubt a trainer/vet would inject a horse with rat poison if it would run faster for 2 minutes

BIG49010
01-22-2007, 11:24 AM
I friend told me they did this alot in Harness racing years ago. Was this a harness horse?

kenwoodallpromos
01-22-2007, 12:55 PM
What about the beer some are given by mouth? is it just injecting the booze that is against the rules? I thought booze was legal.

Spendabuck85
01-22-2007, 06:10 PM
According to bloodhorse.com Grey Goose Vodka has signed on as the name-in-title sponsor of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) under a multi-year agreement

rrbauer
01-22-2007, 06:38 PM
According to bloodhorse.com Grey Goose Vodka has signed on as the name-in-title sponsor of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) under a multi-year agreement

They had an infield suite at the BC last year. I stumbled into it by mistake. When I stumbled out I was doing my Aflac-duck impersonation. :)

Show Me the Wire
01-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Vodka is not cutting edge. It is an old, old trick to relax and stimulate a race horse. Not the brand of choice as horses prefer their vodka intraveinously at room temperature and Grey Goose Is best srved chilled.

BTW horses like beer and the yeast is good for them.

hracingplyr
01-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Best if put in the freezer.

bob