PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question on pedigree

beertapper
01-20-2007, 12:39 AM
To me (a newbie), there seems to be more emphasis on the sire/dam's sire than on the dam in pedigree analysis. Why is that?

witchdoctor
01-20-2007, 02:24 PM
In handicapping, it is easier to get statistics on sires and dam sires. A dam will produce 10-12 foals while a stallion can sire 100-150 foals a year. It is therefore easier to get meaningful stats on sires. That said information that is not as easily obtained can give you an edge.

DanG
01-20-2007, 03:51 PM
For what its worth;

HTR’s Pedigree rating gives equal credit to the female line and it’s one of Ken Massa’s strongest factors. His algorithm is obviously proprietary so I can’t expound beyond my use of the rating.

Pgh. Gere
01-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Witchdoctor is correct with regards to the stats that are compliled. The other factor, many pedigree "experts" believe that the Sire is responsible for the distance and surface charecteristics, while the Dam is responsible for the offsprings racing class.

I've found some nice winners on the turf by researching the Dam side. Often this is information that goes overlooked.

ranchwest
01-20-2007, 04:25 PM
There is sometimes discussion of brothers and sisters and that, of course, would be a reference to the dam, though the terminology isn't explicit. It seems there is more focus on brothers and sisters in the auction ring.

Humph
01-20-2007, 04:52 PM
As with humans, it is anybody's guess how much input any one parent - or any other antecedent - has on any one given foal.

As for trying to pick winners on pedigree , all I do is use is information as a guide, not as gospel.

DJofSD
01-20-2007, 09:31 PM
To me (a newbie), there seems to be more emphasis on the sire/dam's sire than on the dam in pedigree analysis. Why is that?

Follow the money. Sires are where the quick and sometimes big bucks are made.

Ponyplayr
01-20-2007, 11:49 PM
In my opinion it is the Dam you want to look at.. buy the book.. Well worth the money.
http://www.dimarpublishing.citymaker.com/page/page/1367143.htm