PDA

View Full Version : Archived data

banacek
01-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Does anyone know what access to archived files (both past performance and results) someone has when they sign up with HDW on a monthly plan? If I buy a software program like All-in-one or HSH, are archived files part of the monthly fee? I'd like to dedicate time analyzing at least one circuit using the software, but I'd like to spend a month or two getting comfortable with the software before putting the money on the line. And if it isn't included, any idea what is would cost for the archived data?

Much appreciated.

GameTheory
01-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Does anyone know what access to archived files (both past performance and results) someone has when they sign up with HDW on a monthly plan? If I buy a software program like All-in-one or HSH, are archived files part of the monthly fee? I'd like to dedicate time analyzing at least one circuit using the software, but I'd like to spend a month or two getting comfortable with the software before putting the money on the line. And if it isn't included, any idea what is would cost for the archived data?
Officially...none. Unofficially...talk to the guy that is going to sell you the program and see what he can do for you...

RonTiller
01-19-2007, 08:36 AM
The last 45 days of past data (for all files) is always available for download and is included in the subscriptions.

Ron Tiller
HDW

banacek
01-19-2007, 12:27 PM
The last 45 days of past data (for all files) is always available for download and is included in the subscriptions.

Ron Tiller
HDW

Thanks for the info, Ron. One last question, can I buy the archived data and if so, how much? Thanks.

osophy_junkie
02-11-2007, 01:33 AM
FWIW, the guy selling me my data never responses when asked about it...

Zaf
02-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Banacek,

HTR is free ! You just need the HDW subscription. So you can have all the data & one of the best programs out there, all for one reasonable monthly fee. :)

Z

banacek
02-11-2007, 11:23 AM
FWIW, the guy selling me my data never responses when asked about it...

It is of concern to me. I asked the same question twice on this thread (and also in another thread) and haven't got an answer. I really want archived data so I can test different approaches. I keep hearing how great the data is, but before I spend $100-$139 a month, I'd like a response. I would have to assume the archived data isn't available. Or they are assuming that I am too cheap to buy it.;)

So I have decided to go back to my homegrown program. I do my racing research in Jan/Feb so time is running out. But I've got 4 years of BRIS data for the tracks I am interested in and will carry on that way.

DanG
02-11-2007, 11:42 AM
It is of concern to me. I asked the same question twice on this thread (and also in another thread) and haven't got an answer. I really want archived data so I can test different approaches. I keep hearing how great the data is, but before I spend $100-$139 a month, I'd like a response. I would have to assume the archived data isn't available. Or they are assuming that I am too cheap to buy it.;)

So I have decided to go back to my homegrown program. I do my racing research in Jan/Feb so time is running out. But I've got 4 years of BRIS data for the tracks I am interested in and will carry on that way.
Banacek;

I’m not going to pretend to speak for Ron and HDW, but I’m 99% sure I can answer correctly.

The 45 days of “archived data” is what HDW’s contract allows with Equibase. In hearing Ron all these years if it were his call they would go back to when we still had 13 states.

Now…whether more than 45 days of data is necessary to start attacking races is another issue. As an HTR member in my opinion it is not. Ken’s software and approach is much more in tuned to what’s winning now vs. long term statistical trends.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. I would say regardless of your software choice that HDW is by far the industry leader in thoroughbred data.

banacek
02-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Now…whether more than 45 days of data is necessary to start attacking races is another issue.

It is since most of my tracks of interest tracks stop running in November or early December and start up again in the spring. And even if they didn't, I would want to go back further than 45 days when I'm learning a new software and the various approaches you can use. Maybe not for you, but for my personality, I'm not betting any money until I get some confidence that the new approach has some validity at that particular track.

Ponyplayr
02-11-2007, 12:08 PM
With AIOV6 the fee is $100 per month for unlimited downlods.
Download all one year and thirty day models. Then download every track running,Auto compute, next day auto update.You will have more than enough races to look at and evaluate.

DanG
02-11-2007, 12:21 PM
PS:HDW also comes with a year’s track profile for every track.

bigmack
02-11-2007, 01:43 PM
It is of concern to me. I asked the same question twice on this thread (and also in another thread) and haven't got an answer. I really want archived data so I can test different approaches.
It's entertaining to see someone post a question almost a month old and still be waiting for an answer. With a modecum of resourcefulness one could figure out that both the software providers and the data supplier have what's commonly known as telephone numbers.

banacek
02-11-2007, 01:53 PM
It's entertaining to see someone post a question almost a month old and still be waiting for an answer. With a modecum of resourcefulness one could figure out that both the software providers and the data supplier have what's commonly known as telephone numbers.

I asked the question (actually in total 3 times), got one very brief and incomplete response. I didn't bring up the 3 week old post, someone else did. I responded to that.

And the last time I asked the question was in response to Ron Tiller's post, so I must assume he read it. If HDW doesn't want to answer a response from their own post, I won't use their service.

DanG
02-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I asked the question (actually in total 3 times), got one very brief and incomplete response. I didn't bring up the 3 week old post, someone else did. I responded to that.

And the last time I asked the question was in response to Ron Tiller's post, so I must assume he read it. If HDW doesn't want to answer a response from their own post, I won't use their service.
Banacek;

I must be missing something. 45 days of archived data is the response that Ron Tiller gave you. That answers your question. I tried to explain the reason that originates from their contract with Equibase.

What further info do you require? :confused:

banacek
02-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Banacek;

I must be missing something. 45 days of archived data is the response that Ron Tiller gave you. That answers your question. I tried to explain the reason that originates from their contract with Equibase.

What further info do you require? :confused:

I wanted more than 45 days and was willing to pay for it. He didn't use the term archived data. That why I used the term. I got no response.

You now tell me that's all he can contractually do. Now I know. It is appreciated.:)

I apologize for any confusion my initial questions seems to have caused. No more responses are necessary. I now have the complete answer that I was looking, but not hoping for

Dave Schwartz
02-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Banacek,

If this question was asked specifically about HSH I would certainly answer it. However, since "HSH" was not mentioned in the thread title I never read this thread before now (when someone brought it to my attention).

Sorry if you felt ignored, but I try not to respond to every post with a "Buy mine! It's the best!" kind of attitude.

My answer to your question would parallel Ron Tiller's: 45 days is what comes at startup.

Reagrds,
Dave Schwartz

Tom
02-11-2007, 06:14 PM
I hesitate to use common sense when talking about Equibase, but......what possible reason would they have for not allowing older data to be sold?

sjk
02-11-2007, 06:36 PM
They used to (and perhaps still do) sell information about older races where you could watch animated horses run the races.

Perhaps they are reserving these rights for the welfare of the animated horses.

Or maybe they are looking out for the welfare of the long-time buyers of data who would prefer not to have fresh competition.

Probably the animated horses.