PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How many cards

andicap
01-18-2007, 10:07 AM
What's the most number of cards you can play at one time and still be effective?

I've seen a few people play as many as 10 but mainly for spot plays or they can peruse software output in about 2 minutes because they are so familar with it. I tried five but it was too much, now deciding between three or four.
I hate missing out on potential longshot overlays or a possible bias at a track, but I can only absorb so much information at one time before screwing up the other four tracks.

For me it depends on how much I've prepared going into the card.

ryesteve
01-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I said 6 or more... due to software-generated spot plays

waytogo
01-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Same here... Every meeting of the day down to software generated spots..

Robert Fischer
01-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I answered 6+. I may only have 0-4 plays per card, so I prefer to have several good good cards to work with. All of my wagers are orded by expected post time, and a "check-in" time that is usually 10-15 min before each race.

aque R1 x w/xxxx x$Shw#x 1230-1215

If I only have one or two good cards, I will focus more with my information, and maybe find one or two additional plays that normally wouldn't jump off the page.

dccprez
01-18-2007, 12:12 PM
I said two, to be conservative, but it is more likely 2-3.

No software being utilized - all hand/eye coordination.

...I guess I'm pretty behind the times and a loser too boot.

Cesario!
01-18-2007, 12:19 PM
More than 6, but it's a spot play system. All in all, it adds up to about 2-3 full cards per day.

Valuist
01-18-2007, 12:20 PM
If I try adding a 4th or 5th track, the results on the main circuits I follow inevitably suffer. As a non-software user, three is the limit for me.

BIG RED
01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
I put 5, usuall tracks I do out of the NE edition of the DRF. All I use for spot plays and two I will play whole cards, whichever look best for that day.

betchatoo
01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
I put 4 because I usually do 4 in depth, but I will explore 10-12 using my software

shanta
01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
2 is the most for me Andy. There also better be a few races on those 2 cards to pass :)

Richie

1st time lasix
01-18-2007, 01:48 PM
I try to keep an eye on three or so. All in the mid-west or east coast. Learned a long time ago that "Californy is not the place I want to be" Gulfstream, Tampa, Fairgrounds and Oaklawn are my favorite venues in the winter. Of course I personally only play fields of 8 or more....i never play races less than 6 furlongs, I skip muddy surfaces, and all claiming races at 10 k or less automatically. I deplore the inner at Aqueduct...I think they should just shut down NY racing in the dead of winter. No need for any NY types egos to respond how great it is. To each his own.....

classhandicapper
01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I can handle one track effectively and look at specific races at any number of other tracks.

My typical weekend day requires a thorough job of handicapping AQU/BEL/SAR and a quick glance at all the stakes races out of town. I can usually get away with a quick glance because I know most of the horses. I'll dig if I have to.

I'll occasionally play 2 tracks at the same time, but one definitely suffers.

I'll occasionally play CA as soon as NY is done for the day.

njcurveball
01-18-2007, 03:28 PM
How many cards can you handicap simultaneously?

I think your question will tilt the answer to be something you did not expect. Perhaps a better way to say it, is

How many cards can you handicap simultaneously and not miss anything?

OR

How many cards can you handicap simultaneously and be profitable on each one.

It really comes down to how much time you put into finding a profitable race. I think most playes will tell you that their winning bets are usually formualted very quickly. It is rare that you find the winner after 20 minutes when you gave the horse no chance after 10.

With a software program, someone could pop up a list of profitable spot plays for 25 tracks in less 5 minutes. Does that mean you really handicapped those races simultaneously?

Tom
01-18-2007, 05:44 PM
However many are on TV between TVG and HRTV.
I sit down in fornt of the Tv, open up HTR and use the Learn X function on the upcoming race. I have a year of data in one folder, so I get a good sample size. I spend about 5 minutes tops per race. Many less than that.
I find the horse that best fits the Learn X odel and if the odds are good enough, I bet. Then switch channels and doer again.

bigmack
01-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Then switch channels and doer again.
Tom was obviously kidding with his post and I encourage all to ignore his foolish style of play.

Personally, I go down to the corner newsstand and pick-up the form for every track running. I'll then put on gloves as the newsprint is so unsightly on my hands. I'll start with a black pen but will have a red pen at my side for scratches. I'll then take my marked forms and scan them into the computer and print them out by time of post and play as many as I can enter wagers into the computer as the races rear their ugly heads during the course of yet another day.

It's work but when I ship things I always insert a previously marked up form so that the recipient can say: "Oh look honey, Takemywife Please won the 9th @ AQU"

bellsbendboy
01-18-2007, 08:05 PM
I get Sundays form sometime Thursday and spend the next few days handicapping a certain four race sequence, generally the last four races at the best midwest track running. Aside of Class... am I the only truthful post in this thread? BBB

andicap
01-19-2007, 07:56 AM
I sit down in fornt of the Tv, open up HTR and use the Learn X function on the upcoming race. I have a year of data in one folder, so I get a good sample size. I spend about 5 minutes tops per race. Many less than that.
I find the horse that best fits the Learn X odel and if the odds are good enough, I bet. Then switch channels and doer again.

With Learn X, how specific do you get per race? Do you drill down to sex, for example? Age? Or do you keep it general, like 6f claimers on dirt?
Trade offs are sample size vs. reliability.

andicap
01-19-2007, 08:07 AM
I think your question will tilt the answer to be something you did not expect. Perhaps a better way to say it, is
How many cards can you handicap simultaneously and not miss anything?
OR
How many cards can you handicap simultaneously and be profitable on each one.
It really comes down to how much time you put into finding a profitable race. I think most playes will tell you that their winning bets are usually formualted very quickly. It is rare that you find the winner after 20 minutes when you gave the horse no chance after 10.
With a software program, someone could pop up a list of profitable spot plays for 25 tracks in less 5 minutes. Does that mean you really handicapped those races simultaneously?

You really can't get that specific in a poll -- I figured people would add that information in their comments and they have.

Besides I really did just want to know how many cards people attempt to play each day. I think most people understand that if you are doing 6 cards the emphasis will be on spot plays (or you are working very very hard!).

Your answer suggests a different poll question -- a good one: How much time do you spend handicapping a race?

andicap
01-19-2007, 08:09 AM
I get Sundays form sometime Thursday and spend the next few days handicapping a certain four race sequence, generally the last four races at the best midwest track running. Aside of Class... am I the only truthful post in this thread? BBB

I think it's realistic and honest. Look at the poll and you'll see that 75% of the respondents said they do 3 or fewer cards. That's believable.

alysheba88
01-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Never been successful focusing on more than one meet at a time

PlanB
01-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Gradually I've been trying my hand at a few more tracks, like Tampa, GP, besides my NY tracks. I think I'm getting very use to the software I now use which has been ~3months now, BUT I cannot make sense of California tracks. Oh, I still feel very uneasy unless I see the pp's of the horses; I can't just look at the software's output & feel that comfortable betting.

dccprez
01-19-2007, 09:43 AM

No....no....we're pretty sure you are full of poop just like everyone else.;)

Anyway, I said 2-3 which is completely "truthful". I'm reading the Form the night before, focusing on the the current NY track and doing a cursory review of another "major" track (in the Winter Gulfstream or Santa Anita). Then in the morning the "day of" I do a more lenghty review of the GS or SA card. When I get to my betting location I look over some of the races at the "other-other" track (either GS or SA whichever one I haven't reviewed already) to see if there are any races I might be interested in
(it's usually only one or two).

That's about 2 1/2 cards.

Stevie Belmont
01-19-2007, 02:17 PM
New York/New Jersey Circuit

Follow Gulfstream....many familar faces.

Zman179
01-19-2007, 09:41 PM
I perform best when playing only one track at a time (when that track ends, I then switch to another track.) Preferably, I'd rather play two at a time, but I find that I miss things while handicapping this way. I can still do two though and have some shot at winning. Three tracks and I head straight for the Advil because I get the biggest headache (no joke.)

When it comes to live racing, I play that track only and nothing else, except when the simulcast from Finger Lakes is available. When it is, I play the live and FL at the same time.

BlueShoe
01-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Try to do too many,that perhaps is my major weakness.Still do things the old fashioned way;get the DRF the day before,handicap that night,again the next morning,and then head for the track or otb site.California has the maddening practice of chopping up the tracks available by giving players races 3 thru 9 at track A,4 thru 10 track B,6-9 track C,1 to 3 track D,and so on.SoCal and NorCal are always entire cards.On busy weekends not unusual to have races from as many as 9 or 10 tracks.Would much,much prefer to have fewer tracks but with entire cards,but as usual,whoever makes these schedules is not listening.Quite common to have 2 or even 3 tracks going off at once.My drawback is looking at every race in the DRF.Know what I want to do when I arrive,but things get quite hectic with all those tracks in your face.Have friends that buy the Form on the way in and handicap all those tracks race to race,something that I find impossible to do.As might be expected,the more time I spend handicapping and the fewer races I analyze,the better I do.That brings up another point;many guys do not look at the so called cheap track,just concentrate on the big class tracks.Thing is,for some odd reason often find terrific bets in terrible races;bottom level maiden claimers and NW2 filled with chronic losers at cheap tracks sometimes are quite kind to this poster.When making trips to Nevada racebooks with entire cards from almost every track in the country available,do cut down to a manageable level.Four seems to be the optimum number,enough to give plenty of action while being able to devote time to each one.

DJofSD
01-19-2007, 10:46 PM
First, you ask, how many can be handicapped. Then you ask how many can you play.

The conclusion I draw is you handicap as you go and wager 'in the moment'.

So, are you a day trader or an investor?

gjones6794
01-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I am using HSH - H4. Dave Schwartz's software. Here is the two minute handicapping procedure I have incorporated. You can virtually look at almost every race at every track. However, when the california tracks start up, it does get a little hectic.

1. All races for all tracks are downloaded into the software. Select the race to handicap and click the Tote button to update current odds and scratches.
2. Look at the race conditions and determine dist, surf, grade.
3. Click thru each horses PP's and verify the running style.
4. Click tote odds button to update current information.
5. Select and run the handicapping Analyst that fits the dist, surf, racing style of the race. The Analyst utilizes factors that I have selected to handicap that specific type of race.
6. I then look at the top 3 horses and check current odds to determine if anything is looks interesting and requires further investigation.

This method is best for playing 1 - 3 horses to win or looking at an exacta.

I have only had this software for a few weeks and have much to learn to stream line my methods and to incorporate some of the modeling features.
I used to spend an hour downloading, selecting pace lines, and printing a report for just 1 track. Now in just 2 minutes per race, I can get a good idea if I want to go further into it.

AwolAtPA
01-20-2007, 01:53 AM
I sit down in fornt of the Tv, open up HTR and use the Learn X function on the upcoming race.

thank you Tom

I stopped using HTR before Learn X and felt it was a powerful tool for quick and simple handicapping. Your note and the latest Model tool by Ken has me motivated to finish my current research and give HTR another shot.

Tom was obviously kidding with his post and I encourage all to ignore his foolish style of play.

bigmack:

this sounds to me like someone who has never tried to '..chew gum and walk at the same time...'. If you have not tried a method, then how can you suggest that others not try a different method than yours.

duane

Tom
01-20-2007, 10:17 AM
With Learn X, how specific do you get per race? Do you drill down to sex, for example? Age? Or do you keep it general, like 6f claimers on dirt?
Trade offs are sample size vs. reliability.

I depending on the number oc races I get, I go shallow - Alw, Clmg, MSW, MC, surface, distance (S,R) I mix MSW andMC if I have to get more raes, and if I have a lot, I go distance specific. I check PL4, PL5, and PL1. I use the results loosley, too.
Say the top three factors for the race are EP2, K2, Jockey 2.
I look at EP 1 or 2, Jockey 1 or 2, and K 1 and 2. I am looking only for general tendencies, then loook for horses who best fit that profile. Very quick process, really.

Tom
01-20-2007, 10:19 AM
thank you Tom

I stopped using HTR before Learn X and felt it was a powerful tool for quick and simple handicapping. Your note and the latest Model tool by Ken has me motivated to finish my current research and give HTR another shot.

Yoy're gonna LOVE PPX!
And the new Velocity program......

bigmack
01-20-2007, 11:56 AM
this sounds to me like someone who has never tried to '..chew gum and walk at the same time...'. If you have not tried a method, then how can you suggest that others not try a different method than yours.
duane
O youwho, it was kind of an inside joke there with Mr T. (cue rimshot)
No need to create a foofaraw over a bit of levity.

formula_2002
01-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I can continuiously handicap every card I put into my data base.

44PACE
01-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I will download 3 tracks.

I will spend 30 minutes do a Quickcap throw out usually all but 5 or 6 races of the 30 becouse they have unknowns like first time starters, very few races with ratings, too many shippers. Also I toss races that have obvious strong favorites
( 4/5 ) these races are dead on arrival as far as payoffs. I also toss random races, these races are the ones were a horse pays $ 60 to win and is never closer than 20 beaten lenghts.

About 90 % of the races on a given card I tend to discard for the above reasons etc. After I isolate the easy races I spend a great deal of time breaking them down so I can get a strong feel for the most likely winner.My goal is to hit 40 % with these 5 races, sometimes I will hit 4 out of 5 mostly its 2 out of 5 most typical odds 7/2 to 9/2 , very very seldom anything over 10 to 1.

44PACE
01-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Another Poster brought this up:

Use RED pens I repeat RED pens when you handicap . Blue and black blends in and you will miss stuff you mark as important. Red ink stands out so you will see what you mark.

Indulto
01-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Try to do too many,that perhaps is my major weakness.Still do things the old fashioned way;get the DRF the day before,handicap that night,again the next morning,and then head for the track or otb site.

... Have friends that buy the Form on the way in and handicap all those tracks race to race,something that I find impossible to do.As might be expected,the more time I spend handicapping and the fewer races I analyze,the better I do.BlS,
The old-fashioned way still works for me. I can see that the computerized highway lets many here find more statistical oportunities, but leisurely weighing the relative merits of contenders in the races I expect to play the following day remains the most entertaining aspect of the game for me short of a nice score.

One of the best things about the BC is the preparation time available to peruse the PPs for so many competitive races and to map wagering strategies for different weather and track bias scenarios

I only play on weekends and holidays. I start with the stakes races at currently active 3-5 major tracks. I then concentrate on the most promising P4 races which may then take me to races filling out promising P6s (or the P5) and value P3s. That is usually as far as I look in the DRF. I'm sure there are other races that might be interesting, but 10-15 races depending on field size is enough for one night at a square table.

Perhaps the thread starter will rule on which category applies to me. ;)