PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever claim a horse before?

mattcooke
01-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Has anyone ever claimed a cheep horse, for example something for 5grand or so at a track like Golden Gate. I was thinking of doing it and was wondering about some costs. For example, how much do i need to pay a trainer per day, and would the horse stay in a barn on the back stretch or some other place?

any help would be nice.

thanks, matt

Murph
01-17-2007, 08:15 PM
This site will help you get started and provide general answers to some of your questions Matt.

http://www.thegreatestgame.com/index.jsp

You can get more direct help from your state thoroughbred or standardbred associations. I have had some interest in purchasing a yearling IN bred quarterhorse for racing in the futurity stakes programs at HOO and IND. Even at that level I can't really afford the daily costs of keeping and caring for a racing horse so I haven't been past the inquiry stage.

Good Luck in your search.

Murph

rrbauer
01-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Has anyone ever claimed a cheep horse, for example something for 5grand or so at a track like Golden Gate. I was thinking of doing it and was wondering about some costs. For example, how much do i need to pay a trainer per day, and would the horse stay in a barn on the back stretch or some other place?

any help would be nice.

thanks, matt

A simple question: How much can you afford to spend on a monthly basis to pay the trainer (covers stabling and feed and training), the vet, the blacksmith, the jock when your horse runs, the exercise rider when it is on the track in the morning and a few other ancillary expenses that crop up from time to time.

Second question: Can you afford to put up the five large and not have anything come back to you.....for months.....forever?

You don't need to give me an answer, but these are the questions that count when it comes to owning a racehorse.

Show Me the Wire
01-17-2007, 09:32 PM
mattcooke:

Don't claim a 5k bottom level claimer.

Suff
01-17-2007, 09:58 PM
This would be a good time to re-tell the story of Michael Gill's first Claim. Its funny.

Then I had my first claiming experience. The horse’s name was Hasty Hasty. On the way to Suffolk Downs, I got sick.

Finally got to the track, and my trainer said, “Hey, the horse finished second. We got the horse.” I said, “Great. Where is he?” The horse is in the spit barn.

“Is there anything wrong with him?” I asked.

He said, “He doesn’t have a pimple.”

I’m walking down and I see this horse, and a big white eye staring at me.

Is that our horse? I said, “That’s a cataract. The horse can’t see out of that eye, he said.

I thought you said he didn’t have a pimple.” The horse turned around and looked at me. The other eye was an empty eye socket.

That was my first claimer. The horse got ruled off, couldn’t run. That was also my first experience with race horse misjustice.

I can’t run him, but you put me in a position to buy him?.
Did he lose the eye in the race? Did he go blind in the other eye during the race? No.

Buyer beware. Buyer beware? It was my first experience with a trainer lying to me.

BIG49010
01-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Try to become a winning handicapper first, if you do that, then consider becoming an owner. It is a very interesting business, but if you want to claim a nickle horse, you better have lots of nickles. I did it in October after being on the sidelines for 6 years, we made our first 1,500 in a race in January. $65 a day for 3 months, plus the vets, vans, and 7,500 for claim.

How do you think were doing?

how cliche
01-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi Matt.

At GGF your costs will be approximately...

$5,000 for the claim.
$437.50 for Alameda County + CA sales tax.
$1,800 a month for day rates.
$900 to $1,500 a month for vet fees.

Bottom end you're looking at $8137.50 for the first month.

Suff
01-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Now would be a good time to tell the old horse racing adage:

Q. Do you want to know how to make a small fortune in Horse Racing?

A. Start with a large fortune.

jballscalls
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Also find a trainer that you like and trust and has a good reputation. It is of paramount importance. The only claim of my life, we bought a horse who shipped up from California, claimed him for 3200 out of a maiden race, which he won for fun. Proceeded to never again hit the board. LOL however the next won i claimed for 5k at emerald downs and he ran a couple of seconds and a third for the races we had him then got claimed back for the 5k. we actually made a couple hundred with him. Its fun, but the money shouldnt matter

mattcooke
01-17-2007, 11:24 PM
in responce to the people who are advising not to claim a 5k claimer, and then give no reason for there statement, Why not?

I see in the DRF everyday, jeff mullins, Jerry Holl, Gary Stute, they claim these cheap 5k'ers at golden gate.

If they can claim then, whats the problem with me claiming them?

Show Me the Wire
01-17-2007, 11:31 PM
in responce to the people who are advising not to claim a 5k claimer, and then give no reason for there statement, Why not?

I see in the DRF everyday, jeff mullins, Jerry Holl, Gary Stute, they claim these cheap 5k'ers at golden gate.

If I told you it was not a good idea to stick your tongue in a live light socket, would still want a reason why?

If you want to pay for an education be my guest. Be sure to engage one of the above trainers you mentioned if you claim a 5k bottom level claimer.

Zaf
01-17-2007, 11:32 PM
No problem, just be prepared to ship to Arizona, if things don't pan out.

Z

bigmack
01-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Did he lose the eye in the race? Did he go blind in the other eye during the race? No.
:lol::lol::lol:

Coulda been worse - he coulda been missing appendages

http://images.bigoo.ws/content/clip/funny/funny_44.gif

kenwoodallpromos
01-18-2007, 12:25 AM

_
Some of these also lower horses to the lowest levels because they can tell when they are going bad. Especially Holl;
But gto ahead. I live in Alameda County and the county hospital can use the tax money!!LOL!!

dutzman
01-18-2007, 12:49 AM
It costs just as much to keep a 5k claimer in training then it does to keep any other racehorse in training, give or take a few thousand

CryingForTheHorses
01-18-2007, 04:46 AM

any help would be nice.

thanks, matt

Hey Matt. IF your going to claim a horse for 5k go for a hot horse. What I mean is go for a horse that is dropping down or a horse that has been claimed several times as long as he has good form..Chances are he will win for you first time back and you get your money back.Make sure you have a sharp t.rainer who knows what he is doing. Lots of guys tell you to never claim a bottom horse but claiming these type give you more of a chance to get your investment back quick as you only have to win 1 race. IF you claim a horse for a higher price it will take more wins by the horse for you to break even. IF your horse wins for 5k and you claim him, Run him back for the same price so you have a chance to win again and get your money back and maybe lose the horse via claim. After you win that first race with him, Its all gravy after that...NEVER spend more then you can afford so there is no pressure on you as that takes away the fun.

the Bid
01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Choosing a horse:
Find one that's improving but not likely to win today. A winning effort today (the day you claim) means you'll likley take higher weight next time while facing better horses. You'll also have to move up a condition if he's running in N2L or N3L claiming races. If he's a maiden you have to face winners next time.
Claiming at the bottom means that you'll eaither have to ship to win if he's a flop or you may wind up with a horse that cannot drop low enough to win. The big guys do it all the time but as a small, one horse operation you may not have the wiggle room (or the desire to see "your racehorse" running at a county fair) to drop. The economies of scale help the bigger owners/trainers.
Be prepared for what happens if the horse you get in entirely useless. A friend of mine has claimed several horses that were not even sound enough to be riding horses. One had 3 bone chips and 4 fractures. Tell your trainer that if the horse needs time off he'll be out of the shedrow. You don't want the trainer assuming that he'll be able to feed his cash flow by collecting a day rate on a horse that is not racing.

As someone mentioned, the maintainance on a $10k horse is about the same as a $5k horse and at least at $10k you have some options. If the $5k difference is the difference between getting in and not, they you are not properly funded.

rrbauer
01-18-2007, 11:31 AM

Chances are they are claiming for owners that have other horses with them and they can afford to take a dump on the whole enchilada. Why don't you contact these trainers and tell them you have $5k to claim a horse and see what they tell you?

Question: If $5k is bottom-of-the-barrel at a track how do you drop the horse if it's not competitive at that level?

Frankly, if this is such a compelling thing for you then go ahead and do it....let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

takeout
01-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Make sure you have a sharp trainer who knows what he is doing.
Couldn’t agree more. To me the trainer would be of primary importance.

For me the trainer would have to be a high percentage winner, at least in certain well-defined situations. It could be someone small and under the radar or larger and well known, but overall I would be looking at a pretty short list. Matt, if you don’t know who comprises that short list at your local venue, be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

JWBurnie
01-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Matt, go with a partnership. Invest the 5K on a decent horse that has some upside and go from there. Buy in to a $25-50K horse, your monthly expense will be $200 - $350 per 10% ownership depending on the track, trainer and most important the horses soundness. I think you'll enjoy the experience a lot more, even if it's only a percentage of ownership. I'd stay away from the cheap claimers, you're only asking for disappointment and/or heartbreak. I concur with the rest of the gang if you do claim cheap go with the best trainer you can afford.

Good luck to you.

The Judge
01-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Go partners split the bill. The traniner will do the paper work and distribute the winning money. Don't forget they pay to 5th place. I and about 6 partners claimed a horse called "Lady Glorious" at Golden Gate some years ago Jeff Bonde claimed her for us. She was a re-claim by Jeff.

We about broke even I guess. Lots of fun name in the program and racing form, owners I.D got to sit in the owners lounge at Baymeadows and the owners seats. They won't list all the owners only abut 2-3. The more the marrier especially when those monthly bills come in and your horse ain't running.

kenwoodallpromos
01-18-2007, 01:36 PM
At GGF I would watch for a gelding sprinter under 5 who has shown some early speed in races, especially at the fairs or with a variant over 10. maybe stretching out would be an option as some do well that way. Of course a decent amount of ITMs would be nice. I would claim only off a trainer that has a few horses and a few wins. Myadi and Sherman have been claiming some nice horses the last couple of years.
If you know who Sam Spear is, he usually likes runners who do well in key-type races whose competition cam back to win, and horses who show speed often do well. Jockeys Kaenel and Lumpkins are good, Gonzales is the gate jockey. Some others just do well depending on the horse. I would not claim a horse who shows 2 layoffs in the last 6 months or recently stumbled or bumped.

jotb
01-18-2007, 04:14 PM

any help would be nice.

thanks, matt

Hello Mattcooke:

The first thing you need to do is find a trainer that wins races. Make sure if you claim a horse off someone that the new trainer has the capability to improve off the other trainer. Don't waste your time claiming a horse if that horse is with a high win percentage trainer and your trainer is a low percentage trainer. If you are seeking a 5k horse more than likely, the horse will have issues so don't expect a world beater. I don't recommend claiming a horse that is already on the bottom since you don't have many conditions to run in. If you are to claim a 5k horse then I suggest you search for one that is running in an open 5k and is a short time from being eligible for a beaten 5k. Believe it or not, there is a big difference between an open 5k vs. a beaten 5k (6 month condition). If you are planning to claim a horse like this, I would make sure that this horse will not win on the day you want to claim so you don't blow that condition. If I was you, I would try to find a horse that is usually an early speed type only because this could be an edge for you on days where the track is favoring early speed types. Speed oriented horses usually take more of a beating on their legs but less could go wrong in a race when you are on the front end. Sometimes you don't have to be the best horse in the race to win. I would search for a horse that likes all types of surfaces ( off-track and turf). Find a horse that can ship well just in case you need to go to another racetrack. Try to find a horse that does not have gaps between races. The horse should be running at least 1 or twice a month. I believe horses run in and out of form cycles so you should look for a horse that is on the improve (heading in the right direction). Try to stay away from horses that don't like to win and find a horse that is a check earner ( hits the board more than 40% of the time). You want a horse that can cover the bills each month and that's why I said to find a horse that does not have long layoff lines. Anyway, I hope this helps gives you an idea of what to do and I wish you the best of luck if you decide to claim your first horse.

Best regards,
Joe

oddswizard
01-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Our stable has claimed many horses in Northern California. The costs stated are correct. About $65.00 for training per day + vet bills. Find a good trainer and follow their advice. A $5000 claiming horse will run for a purse of about $9000 today. One win and you have your money back. Go into racing to have fun and excitement. Do not go into it to make a profit. Good luck and have a ball!

JohnGalt1
01-20-2007, 09:33 AM
I would also someday like to own a horse, probably after I retire.

I attended a couple of seminars at Canterbury. Scott Lake was asked before the Caliming Crown who he would not claim from. He said Richard Dutrow because he said he could not improve them.

At another seminar someone said to claim horses that still have conditions to race through. Ex. A 25K claimer from Arlington that can race in 20K alw races at CBY NW1x, NW2x, etc. or a dirt horse with great turf breeding racing at a track without a turf course.

If you wouldn't bet on a horse, you sure don't want to claim it.

Go in with a plan, and good luck.