PDA

View Full Version : NEWSBREAK: CAR ALARMS DON'T WORK

bigmack
01-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I say turn em' off or be cited for noise pollution. From an article:

In the past 20 years, car theft has evolved from a juvenile pastime into an $8.2 billion a year business. Organized professionals now account for 80% of stolen cars, and alarms don't deter them at all. "'Defeating' a car alarm is a non-issue," says criminologist Michael Maxfield, now studying car theft for the state of New Jersey. "Thieves smash windows, yank wires and the alarm is deactivated. Eighty percent of all thieves can and do steal a car with an alarm."

Police officers agree. "Alarms are fine for deterring joy riders," says detective E.S. Hopper, former head of the auto-theft unit in Atlanta. "But it would only be a two-second slowdown for a professional thief." Gary Sims, car theft expert for the Los Angeles Police Department, confirms: "I've watched suspects steal a Mercedes that had an alarm system in less than a minute."

PlanB
01-17-2007, 07:53 PM
In April 2006 I bought a Ford Milan. It's great, but I hardly use it, just to get the family away mostly to the Jersey shore in the summer or the Hamptons, but I just love the Jersey shore. It's perfect & cheap & really just so laid back relaxed but very very inviting. From BELMAR to CAPE MAY ......... no I'm not running for NJ tourist guide, but it's fun. Anyway, the Milan has a Madza motor so its not experimental, and it comes in radiant colors (my wife is talking now) and I was very sorry that you hardly ever spot a Milan on the road.

singunner
01-17-2007, 11:45 PM
PlanB... that had to be one of the most amusing things I've ever read. I just kept waiting for you to talk about some part of your new car's alarm system, but it didn't come. I felt like the text got cut off or something and I didn't get to find out about the alarm system. It just took me so off guard that you'd talk about your new car without being even slightly relevant to the original post on car alarms. It was comic genius.

njcurveball
01-18-2007, 04:13 PM
From BELMAR to CAPE MAY ......... .

I think this means he HAD the Alarm system on from Belmar to Cape May and no one even said a word! :lol: