PDA

View Full Version : Johnny V at Gulfstream

rgustafson
01-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Through yesterday, after ten days of racing, he has 10 wins from 53 mounts and is in a three way tie for second behind Prado and all seems right with the world. However, if you dig a little deeper, he is 9 for 23 with Sciametta and 1 for 32 for everyone else, many of those at low odds. More than likely this will change as the meet progresses, but for now, bettor beware.

Valuist
01-16-2007, 01:28 PM
I think I'll wait to toss out a horse because he's riding. Nobody anywhere is better at sitting second going into the turn than he is.

dccprez
01-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Johnny V...the poor man's Jerry Bailey-minus-the-grass-magic

NY BRED
01-18-2007, 01:51 PM
ISN'T SCIAMATTA PLETCHER'S SUB ??

rgustafson
01-18-2007, 02:52 PM
ISN'T SCIAMATTA PLETCHER'S SUB ??
Yes, and he is atop the Gulfstream trainer standings, but when Johnny V is up for other trainers tread lightly. At least to this point of the meet.

Alydarwasbest
01-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Interesting comment on Johnny V (the poor man's Jerry Bailey). I have always thought of JV as a fine grass rider. Do you have any stats on his turf riding?

dccprez
01-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Interesting comment on Johnny V (the poor man's Jerry Bailey). I have always thought of JV as a fine grass rider. Do you have any stats on his turf riding?

That's a fair question; I have nothing in front of me but I'll check it out.

I think Johnny V is a good-to-very good grass rider. I also think he is the heir apparent to Jerry B in general. The grass reference was more of an homage to Jerry and his uncanny, almost surreal truf ability that I doubt any current rider has or can duplicate.