PDA

View Full Version : Need to locate an old pencil and paper system.

Goldminer
01-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Greetings,
Back in the late 1980's, I purchased a system that was written by Al de Cuir. Sorry that I don't remember the title, but the content was very comprehensive. The system dealt with giving several factors a numerical value, and taking the horse/horses with the lowest number as a pick. Does anyone have information that could lead me to this publication? I would really appreciate any help.
Bill

Handiman
01-15-2007, 03:56 PM
It was called "SuperHorse".....I have a copy of it somewhere. Not sure where you would be able to find it.

Handi

Goldminer
01-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Handi,

That's the system!!! If you could locate it and let me know what the different factors are for evaluating the horses, I would be eternally grateful.
Bill

Handiman
01-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Just PM me, so we don't get in trouble for touting something here, and I will send you what you want.

Regards,
Handi

Light
01-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Superhorse was my first sucker system I bought in the mid 80's. Not worth the paper its printed on.50 bucks down experience lane. The name,Al De Cuir was so obviously phony (Al the Cure),but I just had to see it. Wised me up real fast. My next move was to get Phillips Racing newsletter and buy a "recomended system". I bought "pops and tips". First time I used it,I was at the track and it had a 60-1 on top and a 30-1 rated second. I said "this sucks" and was horrified as they ran 1-2. It never did that well after that,but was an honest work as opposed to Superhorse which is pure B.S.

Goldminer
01-15-2007, 11:27 PM
I won a handicapping contest at the Excalibur in Las Vegas using nothing but the Superhorse system. Hit seven winners in a row (which included the pick six at Hollywood) The Superhorse system was a basis for software that is still in use today.

Dick Schmidt
01-16-2007, 01:45 AM
I won a handicapping contest at the Excalibur in Las Vegas using nothing but the Superhorse system. Hit seven winners in a row (which included the pick six at Hollywood) The Superhorse system was a basis for software that is still in use today.

And you LOST IT?!?!?!?!?!?

Dick

"Life is tough, but its tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Turntime
01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
As a collector of old handicapping books, I actually have 'Superhorse' in my library. The factors he uses are Time, Weight, Class, Stretch Gain or Loss, Speed Rating + TV, and ML Odds, and ranking them accordingly (1 through 9 in a 9 horse field, for example). Vintage 70's stuff. He must have been smoking some dynamite acapulco gold when he created his Time Chart, here is the entry for a time rating of 73, for example:

5.5f 1.05
6f 1.13.1
6.5f 1.18
7f 1.24.2

This type of rating system, all the rage 30 years ago, is too unsophisticated to work in modern racing. He does manage to give some good advice, such as only playing your top rated 'Superhorse' at odds of 3-1 or better and that it's ok to pass races, even 3 or 4 races in a single day! (a concept that was foreign to my grandfather, who was kind enough to introduce me to the sport of kings at the tender age of 12).

My copy is not for sale, but I hope this info helps some. (I also did an internet search, and came up with zilch).

First_Place
01-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Good ahead, mock it all you want. I don't. This is a soft cover book (with more than a few 'systems' inside it) that got me interested in horse racing. I took a chance, ordered it (in Sept. 1990), and still feel I got more than my money's worth. Why? Because it has led me down a (successful) path to an alternative speculative investment that I never knew existed. Yes, I was aware of horse racing but like most (ignorant) folks, thought it was nothing more than a gambling endeavor with luck (either you have it or you don't) involved.

Prior to that, I thought the only way you could make really big money was through real estate, stocks and commodity futures and options trading. To me, this area of speculative investment (specifically, via exotic wagering) beats both! That is, of course, if you ya know how to successfully do it! And you don't have to wait weeks, months and sometimes years to see if your analysis of the market was correct!

Regards,

FP

p.s. Believe it or not, it still works! Especially with a tweak or two and how you interpret its readout, i.e. final score.

First_Place
01-22-2007, 11:59 AM
"He must have been smoking some dynamite acapulco gold when he created his Time Chart"

From what I've heard, Al preferred booze. :)

FP

Light
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
When Superhorse was advertised,the author used to claim 80% winners....guaranteed.

prank
02-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Has anyone ever bothered to put together, say, a Wiki with information on the systems of bygone years? For instance, this book seems very hard to find. I guess it had a small run, and probably won't be reappearing again. So, whatever gems the author had seem lost.

Are such methods protected by copyright? Could synopses be put into a Wiki? Perhaps someone would like to collect and distribute such a set of methods.

Speaking for myself, I don't (yet?) gamble on horses. I'm just a statistics PhD student with an interest in ranking, and I try to learn from you all, because the folks in CS, economics, statistics, etc. can't be bothered to look at enough real data. You guys put your money where your mouth is (or where someone else's mouth is :lol:), so I'm fascinated by whatever ranking or prediction methods are developed by handicappers.

Cheers,

Prank