PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't shut down

speedking
01-14-2007, 09:09 AM
For the last few days, I've had numerous computer problems. Everything checks out Ok except for some Renos.Hoax virus in the Temp. internet files that my anti-virus software keeps telling me it has blocked. (Bitdefender)

What bothers me most is that the machine will not turn off as it should. When I click the buttons to shut it down it gets as far as the final screen and displays the message " Windows is shutting down" then hangs there forever!
The only way to shut down or get out of that screen is to turn off manually from there.

Restored to another date and everything is the same. Ran Spysweeper repeatedly and nothing shows up. Same with Bitdefender anti-vrus except for that crap in the temp internet files, which I empty regularly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

speedking

DJofSD
01-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Sorry, I can't offer anything specific. I've on occasion, been there, done that, on both the start up and shutdown.

Getting hung up on the start up has been due to various "issues" with Norton AntiVirus (NAV). These finally seemed to have gone away and have been replaced with a very long period while NAV or some other aspect of Norton is pounding the CPU. On my old, slow system I've learned to just let it grind for the 5 or 7 minutes then it finishes.

On the shutdown side when I got hung, I never did figure out why it happened. It occurred so infrequently and upredictably, I could not come up with a strategy to identify what was wrong. I'd always end up pulling the power plug since the power on/off switch was ineffective. The system would always reboot without any complaints about the file system and therefore never having to run a scan. I've suspected that MS was having problems with the update process for maintaining Windows. I keep my systems up to date software wise and have not had any problems on the shutdown side for quiet some time now.

speedking
01-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks DJ, everything is current as far as my updates go. When I restart, everything appears normal, but I hate to close down that way.

michiken
01-14-2007, 11:51 AM
1. Download and Install from download.com - Scan thru the top 100 free download list until you find them. (http://www.download.com/3101-20_4-0-2.html?tag=nav_2)

Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware
AVG Free AntiVirus
ZoneAlarm firewall

2. Update all of these programs for virus/trojan/spyware definitions.

3. Disable System Restore (http://www.pchell.com/virus/systemrestore.shtml) as virii and trojans use it as a place to hide.

4. Disconnect your computer from the internet:

Reboot it into safe mode (http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml) and run the scans for the above programs.

Reboot again into safe mode and re-run the scans.

5. Boot normally and turn system restore back on if you use it.

Tom
01-14-2007, 02:33 PM
All of thise programs are avaialbe at www.securitytango.com (http://www.securitytango.com)

Click on Let's Dance.

DJofSD
01-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Tango! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

speedking
01-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks very much for the advice, guys...I really appreciate it!

speedking

Red Knave
01-15-2007, 10:18 AM
What bothers me most is that the machine will not turn off as it should.I think Michiken's response will get you where you want to go but just in case ...
If the computer won't shutdown it's because something is running that won't turn off when Windoze tells it to.
If it's still doing this after checking for virii, spyware etc. try this -
Close all the programs you possibly can, especially the ones in the system tray (bottom right corner of the screen).
Do a ctrl-alt-del and start up the Task Manager and go to the Processes tab.
Do a printscreen or write down the names (spelling counts) of all the processes that are running.
When you get rebooted, google all the process names to see if any of them are malware or whatever.
Another possibility is a piece of hardware that won't respond to a shutdown. Anything new been added to your system lately? Like something on a USB port? Make sure you have the newest drivers for all hardware.

JustRalph
01-15-2007, 03:09 PM
speedking, Can you verify what operating system you are running? It depends on what version of windows you are running..........for a bunch of these answers...............

********If you are going to post a Computer Question, It helps to include what version of Windows you are running etc*************

speedking
01-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Sorry, JustRalph, I normally include all that, but I was so po'ed the other day that I never included the details.

I am running Windows XP, Home Edition with Service Pack 2.

The machine is a 6 month old Dell Inspiron E1705 with an Intel 1.8 Intel Core duo processor and 2Gb memory.

My browser is IE 7, mainly used for the Youbet video...

I followed Michiken's advice exactly (thanks again) and it shut down properly the last 2 times I tried. Still performing sluggishly at times. This unit is only used for handicapping and online video/wagering. It has a 60Gb 7200 RPM hard drive with 50 GB free space still.

Until downloading the recommended files yesterday, I was using SpySweeper as anti-spyware protection and BitDefender for Anti-Virus and firewall protection.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. You guys are the best!

speedking

JustRalph
01-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Mich gave you good advice.

I would only add that after you get the problem worked out. turn system restore back on, unless you are willing to set the restore points manually. And you are very adept at fixing winders.........manually.

The comment about something not unloading is dead on. An app is not playing well with windows. It won't unload on command. You can manually figure out which one it is by hitting control alt delete and turning things off manually (killing processes) one thing at a time before trying to shut down. It might take ten reboots, but if you find out what it is, it might be worth it.
Usually these are older applications or drivers for a pda etc.....that need updating. Btw, if you are powering down for a shutdown because something won't unload, as long as you are waiting long enough......you probably won't hurt much except the applicaton that is not unloading and when it fails "Voila' you know your problem. But that is not an exact science so I would be proactive and not wait for something to fail. we could get into a discussion as to why you are shutting down at all.............I rarely turn my machine off........monitor goes off.......but tower gets rebooted maybe once every three days or so..........as long as things are playing well........that should be fine..........unless you are short of ram. Which I don't think you are, unless you are running something really heavy
Good Luck.

speedking
01-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Thanks again, JustRalph. Only reason for shutting down is that this is a laptop and I do carry it everywhere. Whenever I'm out I go online with the Verizon Mobile broadband.

All the advice is appreciated.

speedking

JustRalph
01-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks again, JustRalph. Only reason for shutting down is that this is a laptop and I do carry it everywhere. Whenever I'm out I go online with the Verizon Mobile broadband.

All the advice is appreciated.

speedking

Oh, you are one of those guys who actually carries your laptop around? Good for you........ good luck!

BIG RED
01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
unbelievable Ralph :D

Just last night I took a break for an hour and surfed thru the tv. Put on On Demand, went over to Adult swim to find a laugh. Picked squidbillies for the heck of it. Then it came to me, that pops would make a cool avatar! Log on here, and shazzaam!! Talk about minds thinking alike.

sorry to interupt speed.

Murph
01-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Oh, you are one of those guys who actually carries your laptop around? Good for you........ good luck!There are still a few of us dinosaurs packing our old bones around. We will have to evolve one day soon. My partner Tony was recently demonstrating for me how well his new PDA/CELL device fits neatly into his shirt pocket. These small devices appear to be well worth the investment for more folks every day.

Cingular 8525 model
http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?q_list=true&q_phoneName=Cingular+8525&q_sku=sku310005

speedking
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
This baby has a 17" widescreen and is not the most lightweight or convenient unit to carry around, but it does the job for me and I rarely leave home withouit it. The Verizon broadband gives me DSL type speeds and pretty good streaming video.

speedking