PDA

View Full Version : I just found this article about Funny Cide's win in the Derby - Anyone recall this ?

BeatTheChalk
01-12-2007, 07:11 PM
HEARD the one about the electronic device used to make this month's Kentucky Derby winner run faster? It might sound farfetched, but that was the false accusation levelled at jockey Jose Santos this week following his victory on Funny Cide. No joke.

The allegation made top story on American channel NBC's Nightly News .

The kerfuffle started when Frank Carlson, a freelance writer for the Miami Herald, discerned a small object in Santos's right hand, along with his whip, in a picture taken as the winner crossed the finish line.

The plot thickened when Santos apparently incriminated himself in an interview with Carlson, admitting he had carried something other than his whip. Carlson wrote that the Chilean jockey identified it as "a cuering to call an outrider" - one of the mounted horsemen used to shepherd racehorses on US tracks. Leading jockeys and trainers told Carlson they had never heard of a 'cue-ring'.

Carlson emailed the image to Kentucky's chief steward Bernie Hettel, who immediately launched a fullscale investigation involving a forensic study by the local police department of more than 200 photographs of the race.

46zilzal
01-12-2007, 07:18 PM
yes a fellow's livlihood is going to be threatened by trying to hide a buzzer in front of millions of viewers....Come on. It was stupid then, stupid now.

BIG RED
01-12-2007, 07:19 PM
That's the scetch by PEB, from DRF, I am giving away for the Maiden Busters Contest. Signed by the owners of Funny Cide!

Jump in :ThmbUp:

kenwoodallpromos
01-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I blame racing for not jumping quickly to dispute that obviously ionsane accusation. Took me 1 second to figure out the truth.

Pace Cap'n
01-12-2007, 11:59 PM
It was discussed a bit at the time...

www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5935&page=1&highlight=q-ray (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5935&page=1&highlight=q-ray)