2. Denon
3. With Anticipation

Race 10

1. Perfect Drift

2. Evening Attire
3. Macho UNO

Que
10-26-2002, 12:53 AM
If there's one day of racing I should never bet, this would be it. But, I can never forego a challenge. Below are picks for today's Breeder’s Cup. With regard to the foreign entries—I just ignore them, i.e. it’s kind of hard to pace handicap these without pace data. Plus I’m ignoring my trainer data too, if you don’t have your horse primed and loaded for today’s events then you’d better find a new profession. Anyway, below are BC pace/class picks.

1ST RACE
#1 GOLD MOVER 3/5
#4 HARMONY LODGE 3/1
#2 OGLALA SUE 20/1
#3 COPPER BELLE 7/2

Comment: Nothing not to like about the favorite here. GOLD MOVER ran a very respectable race in the HONARABLE MISS H. (G3), and every horse in that race has won since, except for GOLD MOVER. Plus Gold Mover beat XTRA HEAT at Calder in July, and XTRA HEAT has gone on to win three straight since.

2ND RACE
#5 GENEROUS ROSI (GB) 2/1
#2 BALTO STAR 9/5
#3 HERO'S TRIBUTE 3/1
#1A SECRET ROMEO 12/1

Comment: I still have a soft spot in my heart about BALTO STAR. I made some real good money off him in the Derby preps several years ago. However, he appears to be over mathched here. I’ll have to go against him with GENEROUS ROSI (GB) in this one—the later had a real good showing in the Washington Park H. (G2) last out.

3RD RACE
#5 IMPERIAL GESTURE 4/1
#8 TAKE CHARGE LADY 3/1
#3 FARDA AMIGA 12/1
#6 MANDY'S GOLD 12/1

Head-to-Head: TAKE CHARGE LADY over FARDA AMIGA in a squeaker.

Comment: I have these horses real close in the head-to-head match-up, despite the ML odds. However, I think IMPERIAL GESTURE is the class of the field here. Imperial Gesture has won three straight, and beat TAKE CHARGE LADY in the Gazelle H.

4TH RACE
#1 SANTA CATARINA 4/1
#4 STORM FLAG FLYING 1/1
#3 COMPOSURE 5/1
#5 HUMOROUS LADY 20/1

Head-to-Head: SANTA CATARINA over WESTERLY BREEZE in a romp.

Comment: I really liked STORM FLAG FLYING’s last race, but despite her talent I expect this very talented filly will be over bet. Have to try to beat her with SANTA CATARINA--hoping that STORM FLAG FLYING loses her focus amongst all the BC pre-race hoopola (is hoopola really a word?).

5TH RACE
#9 BOSTON COMMON 50/1
#13 LANDSEER (GB) 8/1
#7 ALDEBARAN 15/1
#4 GOOD JOURNEY 8/1

Head-to-Head: GOOD JOURNEY over BEAT HOLLOW.

Comment: OK…. I ignored the heavy European favorite ROCK OF GIBRALTAR (IRE). Therefore, I’m going with my nonsensical long shot of the day. I just really hope that BOSTON COMMON takes to the turf, and what better time to find out than in BC Cup (what the heck are his connections thinking?). BOSTON COMMON did run a really good race, on something called dirt, while winning the Jerome H.

6TH RACE
#3 DISTURBINGTHEPEACE 15/1
#12 SWEPT OVERBOARD 5/1
#10 ORIENTATE 5/2
#1 THUNDERELLO 50/1

Head-to-Head: SWEPT OVERBOARD over XTRA HEAT on a song-and-a-prayer.

Comment: I really hate to go against SWEPT OVERBOARD, who’s been one of my favorite horses for the past few years. But, Swept Overboard is one fragile animal that requires a long time between significant efforts. His performance in the Metro was truly awesome, but I think the toll it took was very high. For example, Swept Overboard has always ran awesome final quarters, except last out, which is distressing. With that said, there’s just something that I can’t nail down that makes me think XTRA HEAT peaked in the summer. With regard to DISTURBINGTHEPEACE, what more can a horse do—except maybe having a prep before the BC. Anyway, I’ll take my chances with DISTURBINGTHEPEACE with odds anything close to the ML.

7TH RACE
#8 ZENDA (GB) 12/1
#5 BANKS HILL (GB) 3/1
#6 GOLDEN APPLES (IRE) 5/2
#1 RISKAVERSE 15/1

Head-to-Head: GOLDEN APPLES over ISLINGTON. Of course, this doesn’t mean anything, since I didn’t even rate ISLINGTON.

Comment: I really liked ZENDA’s performance in the Queen Elizabeth last out, despite being out finished at the end by RISKAVERSE. I think, anything near the ML on ZENDA represents very good value.

8TH RACE
#2 KAFWAIN 12/1
#1 WHYWHYWHY 6/1
#14 TOCCET 6/1
#10 ZAVATA 20/1

Head-to-Head: VINDICATION over SKY MESA—does this count?

Comment: I really liked KAFWAIN’s performance in the Norfolk. This was getting to be my bet of the day, but with SKY MESA out, the price won’t be nearly as good as it would have been. SKY MESA was my play against horse of the card. KAFWAI’s no lock, but 12/1 would have been the value pick of day. I still like him though, but WHYWHY could be a tough to beat.

9TH RACE
#1 DENON 5/1
#8 THE TIN MAN 15/1
#7 WITH ANTICIPATION 6/1
#2 BALLINGARRY (IRE) 5/1

Head-to-Head: DENON over HIGH CHAPARRAL. Of course, this doesn’t mean anything either, since I didn’t rate the European HIGH CHAPARRAL.

Comment: Tough pick here, but I’ll go with the Frankel horse DENON. Denon is coming off a good effort, while winning the Turf Classic at Belmont last out.

10TH RACE
#7 MEDAGLIA D'ORO 7/2
#8 EVENING ATTIRE 8/1
#11 CAME HOME 4/1
#9 HARLAN'S HOLIDAY 10/1

Head-to-Head: WAR EMBLEM over HAWK WING—same note as before. Who came up with these head-to-head match-ups anyway. Its like the Ryder Cup, US vs the ECU.

Comment: MEDAGLIA D'ORO beat ESSENCE OF DUBAI by almost 18 lengths in the Jim Dandy, and Essence of Dubai went on to win the Super Derby. MEDAGLIA D'ORO then went on to win the Travers… what more can you say, except I’d like his odds to be at least ML or higher.

11TH RACE
#2 CAPSIZED 2/1
#5 G ALL DAY 12/1
#7 AL'S DEARLY BRED 4/1
#8 PURPLEST 12/1

Comment: Since this is the BC, I expect to be broke by this race. But, I do like the favorite, CAPSIZED. Capsized did beat GREEN FEE by three lengths three races back on the grass, and Green Fee did go on to win the G2 Kelso Breeders Cup.

Best of luck…. Que.

CumberlandBluesHSH
10-26-2002, 10:09 AM
here are my picks.

Race 3 - Distaff

8 Take Charge Lady
4 Azeri
5 Imperial Gesture

Race 4 - Juvenile Fillies

2 Ivanavinalot
3 Composure
8 Buffythecenterfold