PDA

View Full Version : It pays to be superstitious!

Pell Mell
01-09-2007, 04:24 PM
This is a true story that happened to me.
Some years ago I was at Freehold Raceway sitting at a table in one of the betting rooms. I was betting a lot of exotics that day and had the table covered with losing tickets.
I use the betting machines and when I have my first winning ticket, I always go back to that same "Lucky" machine the rest of the day.
In the last race at CRC I bet an ex, tri & super 6/1,5,11. I got the ex 6/11 which pd over a grand but didn't have the 3rd horse. I was happy and I left.
That night I was checking the results and saw that the super was 6/11/all/all and realized that I had left the ticket on the table which was worth a couple of thousand.
The next day I went to the track and talked to the kid, whom I knew, who serviced the betting machines and asked him what I could do. He told me to go to the racing commission office which was downstairs and talk to them. And, he told me NOT to say I lost the ticket but to say it was stolen.
I went to the office and explained that I left my ticket in my cigarette pack on the table and had gone to the men's room and when I came back the pack was gone along with the ticket.
They asked if I could get the number off the machine where I placed the bet and the time of the bet. I went directly to that machine and got the number. I also knew I placed the bet about 5:45 which it turned out to be 5:47.
They then placed a hold on the ticket because it was a signer. Three days later I got a call to come to the track. A teller, who had spotted an all/all ticket had gone around and cleaned the tables off and then went through the tickets. He didn't want to give up the ticket and they told him he could cash it because it was payable to the bearer but if I went to the police and reported it stolen he would lose his job among other things. He decided to give up the ticket and I got my money.
So, it paid to be superstitious,

ryesteve
01-09-2007, 04:47 PM
So, it paid to be superstitious,
Seems more like the moral to this story is that it pays to be dishonest ("the ticket was stolen" :rolleyes: ). I feel bad for the poor guy who found the ticket. I'd have felt really guilty if I didn't at least offer to split it with him.

Pell Mell
01-09-2007, 05:18 PM
The point is, they wanted to know why the teller was cleaning the tables. If he was honest he would have given me the ticket since he knew me as a regular and I would have surely split it with him.

Dave Schwartz
01-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I always heard that as:

"It is bad luck to be superstitious."

;)

Dave Schwartz

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Ya Pell,

You look like the bad guy in this because you lied.

JustMissed
01-09-2007, 07:14 PM
That post should go in the top 10 of "back-handed redboarding".

JM

Pell Mell
01-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I guess your right. I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. After seeing tellers rip people off for years, especially in NJ, I don't have much use for them.

singunner
01-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Actually, this is a bit up in the air. Pell PAID for the ticket. The concept that something you've lost is automatically free to whoever finds it is a slippery slope. Especially in this case where he had a fair amount of proof that it was in fact his ticket. If anything, surely there are karmic repurcussions to the idea that lost items are free to the finder. TINSTAAFL doesn't just fade away, after all.

It is my contention that when you are playing on an uneven field, playing by the rules is a fool's game. I mean this strictly in situations where the lay of the field was specifically made uneven by those who would benefit by its unevenness.

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 08:06 PM
The unsettling part of this scenario is the "finder" has been labeled a thief (theft from the unsecured cigarette pack). I understand PellMell was advised to lie about how the ticket left his possession, but this seemingly innocent lie labeled the teller as a thief rummaging patrons personal items and open to further consequences. I am sure this incident was entered into his employee file.

Not a good situation.

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I guess your right. I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. After seeing tellers rip people off for years, especially in NJ, I don't have much use for them.

I too, have been shafted by tellers, but you did not need to lie.
2 wrongs, as they say, do not make a right. Had I been you, I think I would have told the truth throughout. I may not have got my ticket back, but I would have a clear conscience. Much easier to make future wagers with a clear conscience.:p

singunner
01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I think the management probably understood the actuality of the situation, but the wording "stolen" was absolutely necessary for all parties involved, otherwise the Teller would have actually been a thief (because, as a greedy individual, he wouldn't have returned the ticket). Society gets a bit convoluted over the centuries. This is why all the mysteriously large tips received by waitresses at restaurants must be thoroughly investigated before they are allowed to keep them (also because the IRS wants their share).

Then again, I just suggested that "management" understood something, which is entirely unlikely.

singunner
01-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I could not have a clear conscience knowing I had enabled someone to receive something they were not deserving of due to an incorrect societal standard. The ticket itself represents Pell's INTENT to cash it. The fact that he didn't was obviously in error and should not exclude him from what he is rightly deserving. You think if you drop your wallet it's free money as soon as it hits the ground? You have to specify that you are abandoning something unless it is reasonably assumable that you are doing so.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
I could not have a clear conscience knowing I had enabled someone to receive something they were not deserving of due to an incorrect societal standard. The ticket itself represents Pell's INTENT to cash it. The fact that he didn't was obviously in error and should not exclude him from what he is rightly deserving. You think if you drop your wallet it's free money as soon as it hits the ground? You have to specify that you are abandoning something unless it is reasonably assumable that you are doing so.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

The lack of a clear conscience issue comes in because of the fact the Pell lied. I agree that he should have got his ticket back.

singunner
01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Seems more like the moral to this story is that it pays to be dishonest ("the ticket was stolen" :rolleyes: ). I feel bad for the poor guy who found the ticket. I'd have felt really guilty if I didn't at least offer to split it with him.

Did the "poor guy" do any service to Pell? He kept the ticket for self interest, not in hopes that Pell would come back for his lost property.

Pell Mell
01-09-2007, 08:22 PM
First of all, I had no idea who had the ticket or if anyone had itbecause it could have just as well been in the trash. Meanwhile, the guy at the racing commission related a story to me where something simular happened. In this case they put a hold on the ticket and when the party attempted to cash it, guess what, it was the guys buddy that he had gone to the track with. Anyway, my point was that because I had used the same "Lucky" machine I was able to pinpoint the bet.

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Singunner,

Do you believe that it was ok for Mell Pell to lie in this situation?

singunner
01-09-2007, 08:24 PM
The lack of a clear conscience issue comes in because of the fact the Pell lied. I agree that he should have got his ticket back.

When you back an animal into a corner, you force it to attack you. Pell didn't have a choice in this situation. Will you feel guilty if I hold a gun to your head and tell you to kill someone or it's your life? The answer is probably "yes", but you would have been used by me as a tool. You should feel guilty for being used as a tool to kill someone, not for killing someone. That is to say, if Pell should feel guilty, it's for participating in a society where he was forced to lie.

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Money is clearly important, but relegating oneself to the position of a wild animal backed into a corner? Hmmm. I don't think so.

ryesteve
01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Did the "poor guy" do any service to Pell?
Well, it probably DID help him get his money faster, having found the ticket, but the real question is, did he do anything to warrant being labeled a thief?

singunner
01-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Singunner,

Do you believe that it was ok for Mell Pell to lie in this situation?

Absolutely the right question! I do not believe his action was virtuous, no. Then again, I have only met one virtuous man in my entire life, and I don't know how much longer he can stay that way. That being said, I would gladly lie, cheat and steal to keep him virtuous. (And may do so)

singunner
01-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Well, it probably DID help him get his money faster, having found the ticket, but the real question is, did he do anything to warrant being labeled a thief?

He did as much to be labeled a thief as Pell did to not get his money back. All either had to do was be in their respective situations by chance.

And as for an animal backed into a corner, I simply meant to state that he was devoid of choice in the situation.

Murph
01-09-2007, 08:49 PM
I feel like the person who decided to leave the signer ticket in a pile of trash holds some responsibility. This clerk was not decieving or vindictive about it. I am certain he could have cashed the ticket had he felt in the clear.

The clerks know who is a winning player, and who is definately not. This clerk does not stoop for scraps but may be interested in locating that uncashed ticket he is aware of. Your pile of tickets seems like a logical place to look.

Pell Mells accusations of theft would hold little sway with management. They would simply want to resolve the matter legally. The clerk who held the signer did just that. He held the ticket in case the rightful owner came looking for it. He likely also made his intention to do this known to his supervisor.

A more likely scenario for a person who would "steal" the ticket is to cash it immedieately or burn that ticket when the claim is presented. Try getting your wager paid if this happens. That ticket goes straight to outs and your claim would have to be reviewed.

It is hard to blame a guy for picking up "money" left in a pile of trash. Pell Mell is lucky that the clerk didn't take one of those routes to solving his problem.

Murph

Suff
01-09-2007, 08:53 PM
For future reference in the event someone does lose, or has a ticket stolen.

You don't need to lie. If you bet at a machine or teller and you misplace the ticket, generally the track will pay you if you know the teller or machine you played it on.

Especially if you played multiple tickets and know the sequence. Exacta box, followed by tri key...and so on.

Typically these tickets are thrown out by accident and in the barrel or on the floor. The money goes into a pool called the "outs". The outs usually by state law get issued to the State at end of the year. The track cannot keep money on unpaid tickets. Although some states have changed the law in recent times.

I think the law was designed with situations like this in mind. They want to prevent the track from having a vested interest in uncashed tickets, such as only having one teller after the last race that would impeded someone wanting to wait to cash a small ticket with a scratch refund or such.

Scratch refunds are really what gets the track rats scurrying around the tables. Next time your at the track and there is gate scratch. Keep your eyes peeled for slow roamers. They are looking for Exotic tickets that have the gate scratch on them.

A ticket like 1/2,4,5,6,7,/2,3,5,6,7,9

The 9 scratch's at the gate. That ticket is worth a $5.00 refund. Because the 9 might be an after thought, or if the 1 loses a nose, or runs up track early. People toss the ticket. The rats crawl out of the woodwork and "slow roam"

Anyway...If you lose a ticket and know the play sequence and the machine or teller you can get paid straight up. More often than not.

Pell Mell
01-09-2007, 09:03 PM
In this case the teller tried to cash the ticket. The reason I was told to say it was stolen was that the ticket is payable to the bearer, no ifs, ands or buts. They gave me an envelope with the ticket in it. They said the teller could have cashed it if he wanted to but they advised him to not cash it.

singunner
01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
He didn't want to give up the ticket and they told him he could cash it because it was payable to the bearer...

Of course, this is from an admitted liar. :)

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 09:18 PM
In this case the teller tried to cash the ticket. The reason I was told to say it was stolen was that the ticket is payable to the bearer, no ifs, ands or buts. They gave me an envelope with the ticket in it. They said the teller could have cashed it if he wanted to but they advised him to not cash it.

Because you accused him of being a thief and stealing from your cigarette package. He was informe according to you, that he would be prosecuted for theft if he cashed the ticket.

Pell Mell
01-09-2007, 09:32 PM
No way did I chop down that cherry tree!

singunner
01-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Because you accused him of being a thief and stealing from your cigarette package. He was informe according to you, that he would be prosecuted for theft if he cashed the ticket.

Does that mean the law works?

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Does that mean the law works?

In this case no, the finding of an abandoned ticket in a pile of intended trash probably doesn't meet the definition of theft in most jurisdictions.

The use or abuse of the law this way is a lot like the use of rape laws in the infamous Duke Rape case.

singunner
01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
You're a damn righteous bunch. Would someone kindly detail the exact course of action that Pell should have taken? I'd love to hear it. A winning ticket is a redeemable voucher for money. It's like a blank check. Now tell me how it's right for someone to find your checkbook that you inadvertently left on the table and sign over a couple bucks to themselves.

singunner
01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
So far all I've heard is Law > Morality and "General Moral Rule"(don't lie) > Morality.

Why do we have to sacrifice morality for the things meant to protect it?

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
You're a damn righteous bunch. Would someone kindly detail the exact course of action that Pell should have taken? I'd love to hear it. A winning ticket is a redeemable voucher for money. It's like a blank check. Now tell me how it's right for someone to find your checkbook that you inadvertently left on the table and sign over a couple bucks to themselves.

That is forgery not theft. Different situation.

What if you leave a hondo ($100) on the table go home and the next day remember you left the $100 on the table? Do you go back the next day and accuse someone of theft? Or do you think the finder keepers rule applies?

singunner
01-09-2007, 09:59 PM
So you're saying that keeping money that doesn't belong to you is moral where lying is not? Do you wear your underwear on the inside or outside?

This is why I hate money. People assume it works differently than anything else. If I find your car in the middle of the street and it's running, does that make it ok for me to take it? And on that subject, could you please give me your address and what kind of car you drive? :)

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 09:59 PM
So far all I've heard is Law > Morality and "General Moral Rule"(don't lie) > Morality.

Why do we have to sacrifice morality for the things meant to protect it?

My original uneasiness was not based in law, but that a person's reputation has been besmirched, becuase of another's persons failure to take responsibility for his careless act.

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 10:05 PM
So you're saying that keeping money that doesn't belong to you is moral where lying is not? Do you wear your underwear on the inside or outside?

This is why I hate money. People assume it works differently than anything else. If I find your car in the middle of the street and it's running, does that make it ok for me to take it? And on that subject, could you please give me your address and what kind of car you drive? :)

That is not what I am saying. You asked about theft and a check book. The cash was an example of the difference. If it was cash or some other bearer instrument Pell Mell could not have accussed another of stealing.

And yes finding is not stealing, unless you definately know whom left the object behind. If it was me I would not have taken it, the correct procedure is to turn it over to the police and if no person claims the item after a specified time it belongs to the finder.

Moral issue closed.

singunner
01-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Because society doesn't take responsibility for the rightful owner of the ticket being able to claim it! It's only irresponsible on the part of Pell because he should have known that there are people in the world who are more than happy to take things that don't belong to them.

singunner
01-09-2007, 10:08 PM
If the teller had turned over the ticket to the police (in the first place, they probably would have cashed it and claimed they lost it) there would have been no issue at all. So you're saying it's the teller's fault for not turning it over to the proper authorities. So you're saying the teller is responsible for his own fate. THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY OWN POINT.

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Because society doesn't take responsibility for the rightful owner of the ticket being able to claim it! It's only irresponsible on the part of Pell because he should have known that there are people in the world who are more than happy to take things that don't belong to them.

Yes, there are. Also as, I believe, Befuddlem said, two wrongs don't make a right.

As you may have or may not noticed, I have not said either party had the moral superiority. I believe the situation could have been handled differently through the truth.

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 10:13 PM
If the teller had turned over the ticket to the police (in the first place, they probably would have cashed it and claimed they lost it) there would have been no issue at all. So you're saying it's the teller's fault for not turning it over to the proper authorities. So you're saying the teller is responsible for his own fate. THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY OWN POINT.

I doubt it, too much of a paper trail. Remember it is a signer and the police would have issued a receipt to the teller.

BTW you are jaded. You should post more regularly in off-topic, as you are adept at changing the parameters of the argument trying to lead them down the garden path.

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 10:16 PM

So singunner, had it been you who found the ticket, and not the teller, what would the correct course of action been?

singunner
01-09-2007, 10:17 PM
You were just espousing "finder's keepers", but now you're saying things would have worked out fine through the truth.

You're chasing your tail and have been jumping from false premise to false premise from the start. It's like a lion jumping through a flaming hoop, only it's not as entertaining to do with a house cat.

I apologize if anyone has been offended by my treatment of the other side of this argument. I will stop now in order to end the abuse. (but mainly to go grab lunch)

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 10:19 PM
You were just espousing "finder's keepers", but now you're saying things would have worked out fine through the truth.

You're chasing your tail and have been jumping from false premise to false premise from the start. It's like a lion jumping through a flaming hoop, only it's not as entertaining to do with a house cat.

I apologize if anyone has been offended by my treatment of the other side of this argument. I will stop now in order to end the abuse. (but mainly to go grab lunch)

LOL, in other words he realizes he's wrong, and he's going to drown his sorrows with a cold brew.:D

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
LOL, in other words he realizes he's wrong, and he's going to drown his sorrows with a cold brew.:D

Agree. They disappoint don't they.

The Judge
01-09-2007, 10:25 PM
To shed some light on the subject what if the ticket was worth $475,000 ,a life changing event ,and it was your ticket and it cost $275 to bet. An employee says don't tell them you lost it tell them it was stolen.I tell them it was stolen, end of story.

Payable to bearer is just alot of talk, sure it is "when no one else is claming the money" or its a small amount,but when you change the amount to a large sum no one gets the money if its in dispute.

The track would place the money in an escrow account and tell you to go to court and fight it out. Whoever the court says gets the money the escrow company gives it to them. This would probably result is a compromise between the two parties and nice legal fees for two fortunate lawyers.

singunner
01-09-2007, 10:27 PM
So singunner, had it been you who found the ticket, and not the teller, what would the correct course of action been?

(I don't count this one as abuse, sorry)

Asking that question suggests that you wouldn't believe me if I told the truth, despite the fact that my answer is written on every page of this thread. I believe the rightful owner of the money should have it. My course of action would be to inform my superior, chronicle the finding for my own personal records to keep myself safe and put the item in lost and found. You'd probably find that it's already track policy to do so. I've had to follow that procedure any number of times when I used to work in a computer lab and would find wallets and even loose money after closing the lab for the night.

LUNCH!

Pell Mell
01-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Let me add a little more fuel to the fire. This teller knew me by name. I was there every day and know he was always trying to scam someone. For instance; he would always "Forget" to clear his machine after the last transaction. He was a scumbag and I knew it was him that had the ticket. He could have told me the next day that he had the ticket but he didn't. In fact he waited 3 days before trying to cash it. If he had turned it in or given it to me I would have split it with him. I knew tellers there that if you walked away without your change they would call you back but not this guy. If I had it to do over I would do the same damn thing:mad:

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 10:28 PM
To shed some light on the subject what if the ticket was worth $475,000 ,a life changing event ,and it was your ticket and it cost $275 to bet. An employee says don't tell them you lost it tell them it was stolen.I tell them it was stolen, end of story.

Payable to bearer is just alot of talk, sure it is "when no one else is claming the money" or its a small amount,but when you change the amount to a large sum no one gets the money if its in dispute.

The track would place the money in an escrow account and tell you to go to court and fight it out. Whoever the court says gets the money the escrow company gives it to them. This would probably result is a compromise between the two parties and nice legal fees for two fortunate lawyers.

And because you admit to being a liar, you lose in court.

singunner
01-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Ooh. Someone with some sense and their name has "Judge" in it. I leave the rest in your hands. (And drinking at noon is only for holidays and picnics. If you can't tell you've been beaten hands down, it just shows how much worse a person I am for having abused the lot of you.)

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 10:30 PM

I hate this relativistic thinking. The amount of money makes your decision correct. Wrong.

Whatever the amount of money it is not truthful to accuse a person of being a thief and no it does not make it right even if you do not know the person.

It is up to you to live with your actions and reconcile them at the end of your life according to your beliefs regarding life after death.

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Ooh. Someone with some sense and their name has "Judge" in it. I leave the rest in your hands. (And drinking at noon is only for holidays and picnics. If you can't tell you've been beaten hands down, it just shows how much worse a person I am for having abused the lot of you.)

A man of his word. You said you were done with this.
Oh and If you don't start before noon, how can you drink all day?:lol:

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 10:33 PM

I believe Sec and handicap are much more worthy opponents than you.
They are more practiced and adept at changing the scenario than you are.

The Judge
01-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Lie in court and you lose. Someone hasn't been into many court rooms . One person says it was trash and thrown away the other says its a stolen ticket. Why is a teller looking for trash? No he is looking for money from unclaimed tickets. Well this ticket was claimed and it hasn't been cashed.

See you in court.

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Lie in court and you lose. Someone hasn't been into many court rooms . One person says it was trash and thrown away the other says its a stolen ticket. Why is a teller looking for trash? No he is looking for money from unclaimed tickets. Well this ticket was claimed and it hasn't been cashed.

See you in court.
An authoratative response from a layman calling himself The Judge!

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 10:59 PM

See you in court.

Does looking for money in the trash make someone a thief? Can you steal something someone has relinquished possession of?

If you are a sitting judge would you convict a person of theft for taking something out of the trash?

singunner
01-09-2007, 11:04 PM
IF YOU AGREE WITH PELL MELL'S DECISION, PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT FURTHER IN THIS THREAD.

The thread has been played out. When checkmate is called and cannot be refuted, the game is over, though one player may wish to continue without seeing that there is no space to move. I thank you all for your time and hope we can play again some other time.

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 11:09 PM
IF YOU AGREE WITH PELL MELL'S DECISION, PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT FURTHER IN THIS THREAD.

The thread has been played out. When checkmate is called and cannot be refuted, the game is over, though one player may wish to continue without seeing that there is no space to move. I thank you all for your time and hope we can play again some other time.

I thought you withdrew from the match?

Besides you have problems counting 3 people are still playing Befuddlem, The Judge and me.

You jealous?

I agree the thread has played out too many people in our society are willing to besmerch others for any type of gain. Sad commentary.

singunner
01-09-2007, 11:17 PM
People look fatter on camera and younger on the internet. Are you actually attempting to goad me into continuing to argue with you instead of actually arguing your point? You are simply out of this world.

If you bothered to take a firm stance on any of your fallacies I would have skewered you in a fashion that would make a Fool's Mate look Kasparovian. It tickles me to see such joviality to the same extent I despair at its misplacement.

befuddlem
01-09-2007, 11:23 PM
People look fatter on camera and younger on the internet. Are you actually attempting to goad me into continuing to argue with you instead of actually arguing your point? You are simply out of this world.

If you bothered to take a firm stance on any of your fallacies I would have skewered you in a fashion that would make a Fool's Mate look Kasparovian. It tickles me to see such joviality to the same extent I despair at its misplacement.

Is this man witty, or is it just me? :D

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 11:25 PM

Who is goading whom? Here is your concrete answer. I am done with this thread as I agreed with you it is played out. Being done means I will not post any more responses to this thread.

You may tarry if you want, but I am leaving.

singunner
01-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I have had wont to be compared to Cyrano de Bergerac...

Though it is mainly due to the size of my nose. This is not in fact a joke, but with age I have come to be accepting and quite comfortable with the appendage.

And if you want to make fun of me for it, there are already a plethora of rebuttals in French!

The Judge
01-09-2007, 11:49 PM
No its not. Its unclaimed money no one who is at the track is intentionally throwing away winning tickets. A ticket was thrown away "mistakenly" thinking it had no value. A clerk who knows that this happens now wants to capitialize on the mistake.

The clerks that I see bet punch their own tickets at their own terminal why does this clerk have ticket from a vending machine? He stole it from the table. A smart lawyer would argue both ways. My client said it was stolen, the clerk says he found it; what difference does it make my client proved he bought the ticket, it was a winning ticket the clerk can only turn it in to his employer he can't cash it and take advantage of my clients mistake but I tell you what, he seems like the kind of fellow that would steal a ticket.

If you are in a bank and you throw an envelop in the trash can thinking its an empty evelop and a bank clerk says I search the trash daliy hoping that someone throws away an envelop full of money ,would you let them keep it? No you would say you must turn it in to your employer. No judge or jury would allow this.

Someone made a similar point earlier.

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I must retract my position about posting to this thread. I did not see singunner's post #45, so I must correct my error. Your described action is the correct course. I basically was espousing the same tell the truth, however without the benefit of reading your post (missed it).

My error so sorry, to be clear I believe you stated the correct course of action.

befuddlem
01-10-2007, 12:48 AM
(I don't count this one as abuse, sorry)

Asking that question suggests that you wouldn't believe me if I told the truth, despite the fact that my answer is written on every page of this thread. I believe the rightful owner of the money should have it. My course of action would be to inform my superior, chronicle the finding for my own personal records to keep myself safe and put the item in lost and found. You'd probably find that it's already track policy to do so. I've had to follow that procedure any number of times when I used to work in a computer lab and would find wallets and even loose money after closing the lab for the night.

LUNCH!

I missed this too, but I didn't ask what you would do if you were the teller.
I asked you what you as a patron, stumbling accross the ticket, would do.
Now if you want to continue with your condescending behavior, so be it.
However, this begs another question. Who are you trying to impress with your posts in this forum?

singunner
01-10-2007, 01:22 AM
I missed this too, but I didn't ask what you would do if you were the teller.
I asked you what you as a patron, stumbling accross the ticket, would do.
Now if you want to continue with your condescending behavior, so be it.
However, this begs another question. Who are you trying to impress with your posts in this forum?

To suggest I was trying to impress would suggest I was acting differently from normal (unless my normal behavior was designed to impress, which you would not seem to be implying). Since there are no specific parameters under which I function on a regular basis, that could be considered true, I suppose. All the same, it'd also suggest there was someone here I was trying to impress, which is pretty far from the case. I just like viewing people's reactions to being treated in an unfamiliar fashion. I'm probably worse in real life, if you were to meet me.

You could have phrased your original request for information in a less ambiguous manner. As for if I were a patron of the establishment, I have to say I don't go digging through things that aren't mine. If we ignore that, I would turn it in to the office. I've been hurting for money in the past and would really appreciate it if someone did the same thing for me. It's just how I work. I saw a woman have a silver pendant knocked off her when she was coming off the train the other day and was as crushed as it was when I couldn't get to it before another passenger accidentally stepped on it. I turned it in to the station attendant and hope she is able to recover it and fix the damage it received. I do enough absolutely terrible things and hurt enough people unintentionally that I couldn't stand the stress of doing something as immoral as taking away someone else's victory just because they made such a simple mistake.

Incidentally, the only people I've really found worthwhile on this forum so far are Formula2002, Dave Schwartz (and maybe another Dave?), maybe GameTheory, and maybe PaceAdvantage. I don't think any of them would even bother with this thread, as I wouldn't aside from my aforementioned hobby of poking at people to see how they work. And as for those mentioned, there may be others whom I have not yet properly identified, or I may have miscalculated the natures of some of those mentioned, but I at least find them thus far to be the most interesting frequenters of this space. If they posted more often, I might spend more time reading and less time goofing off with the people who would read this thread.

befuddlem
01-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Glad you are honest, but look at all the typing you've done.
And clearly I seem to have irked the irker.
:) Good night!

singunner
01-10-2007, 01:47 AM
If I didn't show any emotion, I wouldn't get any in response. Night. :)

Show Me the Wire
01-10-2007, 10:17 AM
To suggest I was trying to impress would suggest I was acting differently from normal (unless my normal behavior was designed to impress, which you would not seem to be implying). Since there are no specific parameters under which I function on a regular basis, that could be considered true, I suppose. All the same, it'd also suggest there was someone here I was trying to impress, which is pretty far from the case. I just like viewing people's reactions to being treated in an unfamiliar fashion. I'm probably worse in real life, if you were to meet me.

You could have phrased your original request for information in a less ambiguous manner. As for if I were a patron of the establishment, I have to say I don't go digging through things that aren't mine. If we ignore that, I would turn it in to the office. I've been hurting for money in the past and would really appreciate it if someone did the same thing for me. It's just how I work. I saw a woman have a silver pendant knocked off her when she was coming off the train the other day and was as crushed as it was when I couldn't get to it before another passenger accidentally stepped on it. I turned it in to the station attendant and hope she is able to recover it and fix the damage it received. I do enough absolutely terrible things and hurt enough people unintentionally that I couldn't stand the stress of doing something as immoral as taking away someone else's victory just because they made such a simple mistake.

Incidentally, the only people I've really found worthwhile on this forum so far are Formula2002, Dave Schwartz (and maybe another Dave?), maybe GameTheory, and maybe PaceAdvantage. I don't think any of them would even bother with this thread, as I wouldn't aside from my aforementioned hobby of poking at people to see how they work. And as for those mentioned, there may be others whom I have not yet properly identified, or I may have miscalculated the natures of some of those mentioned, but I at least find them thus far to be the most interesting frequenters of this space. If they posted more often, I might spend more time reading and less time goofing off with the people who would read this thread.

Thanks for the insight, so all your what "if" and what is the "difference" questions, i.e. a check, cash, etc. were designed out of malice and not real curiousity. Thats okay, next time I will remember not to respond to your "baited" questioning.

As I said sec and hcap are much more adept and practiced at baiting than you so I recognized your above stated intentions. I forgive you. Remember you reap what you sow.

Kelso
01-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Writing with the advantage of having read the preceding 67 posts straight through, without direct involvement, I think it is important to remember (realize?) that Pell Mell did not accuse the teller of stealing the ticket. He claimed only that someone had stole his cigarettes and ticket. I think the teller implicated himself by attempting to cash it rather than turning it in.

ryesteve
01-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Writing with the advantage of having read the preceding 67 posts straight through, without direct involvement, I think it is important to remember (realize?) that Pell Mell did not accuse the teller of stealing the ticket. He claimed only that someone had stole his cigarettes and ticket. I think the teller implicated himself by attempting to cash it rather than turning it in.
Yeah, but he implicated himself to a crime that never happened! As far as I know, stooping isn't against the law.

Cesario!
01-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Don't abandon tickets until the race has been made official.

Easy, huh? Would've avoided the whole mess -- in law school, we'd call that the initial action that started the dilemma. And you place the ultimate responsibility for bearing the cost of the problem on the party who was best able to prevent the problem -- in this case, Pell Mell.

Simple, clear, just.

Kelso
01-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, but he implicated himself to a crime that never happened!

As far as I know, stooping isn't against the law.

True and true.

But keeping something he knew was not his is, to my thinking, a greater moral (if not legal) offense than Pell Mell playing what he was told, by an agent ot the track, was the legal game ... claiming to have been robbed without fingering anyone in particular.

Would the teller have committed a crime by "stooping" to pick up an inadvertantly discarded Rolex and then not turning it in to some appropriate authority ... particularly when he had good reason to understand the circumstances under which it had been discarded?

BeatTheChalk
01-21-2007, 05:55 PM
" It's unlucky .. to be superstitious ..." And then he said .....

" My motto is .. everyone should have a Motto .. "

PlanB
01-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Glad you are honest, but look at all the typing you've done.
And clearly I seem to have irked the irker.
:) Good night!

With 132 posts, and 122 of them highly forgettable, why should anyone be irked by random words?

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2007, 09:50 PM
With 132 posts, and 122 of them highly forgettable, why should anyone be irked by random words?

For a guy who's been banned multiple times in the past, you're sure getting ballsy.

befuddlem
01-21-2007, 09:56 PM

And PlanB with 752 posts. And what would you do if you typed like this.
That's all you ever say. You trying to start something here Padre?

befuddlem
01-21-2007, 10:03 PM
For a guy who's been banned multiple times in the past, you're sure getting ballsy.

He's gunning for me PA. He told me so in a private message awhile back.
I really ticked him off about his free book raffle.

PlanB
01-22-2007, 08:00 AM
He's gunning for me PA. He told me so in a private message awhile back.
I really ticked him off about his free book raffle.

LOL. You fancy your posts too much. Re THAT BOOK, the One that will remain nameless, I hope it found a nice warm home in Murph's hands. That's the kinda guy I am --- very understanding.