PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGuire

Show Me the Wire
01-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Mark McGuire falls short in hall of fame voting. Doesn't make the cut.

cj
01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
You could not ask for two better guys. I'm glad they won't have their day tainted.

I may have to do an combo trip this summer: Ripken induction/early Saratoga.

Suff
01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
I may have to do an combo trip this summer: Ripken induction/early Saratoga.

That would be all time world class trip filled with memories that will last you a lifetime.

My Mom, 4 sisters and 2 nieces went on an all girl trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005 to see Wade Boggs Inducted.

My Mother, who was 73 at the time, was a travel agent for 20 years had been all over the world. She's seen everything from the Berlin wall to the Great Wall of China. She says the trip to the HOF was the best trip she had taken her entire life.

My mother loves babseball (redsox). When you walk in the HOF the first thing you see is an enormous wooden statue of Babe Ruth. My sister told me my mom choked up and a couple of tears broke through.

That'd be a good trip. I hope you do it.

kenwoodallpromos
01-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Always been arrogant anyway!
"McGwire, along with confessed users Jose Canseco and Ken Caminiti, were on the ballot"

BIG RED
01-09-2007, 04:35 PM
I just read an article on it. I wouldn't call it he falls falls short, he fell hard!

OTM Al
01-10-2007, 08:37 AM
The thing that still taints this process is the fact that there were people who did not vote for either of these guys. I just don't get these sports writers. Sometimes i get the feeling that they think they are bigger than the game itself.

cj
01-10-2007, 09:30 AM
How either of these two is not a unanimous choice is beyond me.

Valuist
01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
I know if I make a Saratoga trip in the next year or two, going to Cooperstown is a must.

This whole thing about whether a guy gets in on the first ballot or not is ridiculous. Either a guy is a Hall of Famer or he isn't. As a writer, how does somebody not vote for somebody for 5 years then all of a sudden change his mind? As for how anybody could not vote for either Ripken or Gwynn is ridiculous. Probably somebody either with an axe to grind or trying to prove a point.

kenwoodallpromos
01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I know if I make a Saratoga trip in the next year or two, going to Cooperstown is a must.

This whole thing about whether a guy gets in on the first ballot or not is ridiculous. Either a guy is a Hall of Famer or he isn't. As a writer, how does somebody not vote for somebody for 5 years then all of a sudden change his mind? As for how anybody could not vote for either Ripken or Gwynn is ridiculous. Probably somebody either with an axe to grind or trying to prove a point.
There has been plenty enough sportswriter voices over the years for me to know that the opinion is that they want to make sure no one gets in unanamously out of fairness to all the other great players and I agree with that idea. Baseball has been successful in keeping comparisions of how many votes a hall of famer got out of the picture after they got in and that is the way it should be- all the hall of famers are on equal footing.
As it stands now I disagree with some who claim who the all-time team should be. But there is only a couple of people I think should be in that are not.

Valuist
01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Jim Rice is the first one I can think of who's not in who should be. He was dominant in the late 70s. Supposedly the writers hated him.