PDA

View Full Version : 1st and goal from the 1

banacek
01-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Does anyone do a quarterback sneak anymore? Seattle has the ball 1st and goal on the 1 and hands the ball off well behind the line of scrimmage and lose 7 yards. This seems to happen more lately (or is it me). Or pitch it back 5 yards to try to get 1. What happened to the quarterback sneak?

kenwoodallpromos
01-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Maybe it depends on how good the offensive line is.

RBrowning
01-07-2007, 12:22 PM
And maybe it depends on ones imagination.

Deep hand offs in this situation reek of the bizarre.

I'd try the sneak on the first play...if you don't score you should be no worse off than still at the one.The next play is a fake to the fullback on a quick hittter.....only he's not to be told it's a fake.Fullbacks are known to become violent on their own team mates when told they will get the ball....and don't get the ball. Anyhooo....the QB then rolls right after the fake. His taregt is the tight end crossing deep right with the tailback crossing short right.......or he can run it in himself or simply throw the ball away.

Now if we're 3rd and goal from the one I run the sneak again . That failing and we face no worse than 4th and goal from the one...... I sneak the QB out of the offense and bring in the kicker....line up with a lone running back.......shift out of the semi tee into field goal formation so the announcer may shriek..."It's a fake touchdown!!!".

Then I kick an 18 yard field goal and fire the offensive coordinator.

banacek
01-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Then I kick an 18 yard field goal

Or fumble the snap

RBrowning
01-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Or fumble the snap

Good one.

Then I fire the holder,too.

Do you realize if that number 37 had not shoestrung tackled Romo he may very well have had a first down?

I think I'd fire the kicker for not doing something about 37,too.

RBrowning
01-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Then again it does reinforce the thought of kicking on 3rd down....perfectly exemplified in this case.

But if it were me I would have gone for the 1st down or TD.

FGs are never guaranteed and there was still too much time on the clock.

But that's Monday morning QBing ......

....which is fine.

kenwoodallpromos
01-07-2007, 02:25 PM
I'd pound it over right tackle if the QB is reight handed.

skate
01-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Does anyone do a quarterback sneak anymore? Seattle has the ball 1st and goal on the 1 and hands the ball off well behind the line of scrimmage and lose 7 yards. This seems to happen more lately (or is it me). Or pitch it back 5 yards to try to get 1. What happened to the quarterback sneak?

i think that play went out, who was the coach with Minny (burns? '80s?) two big games in a row, he was on the one yard line and ran up the middle about 8 straight times, to no avail.
he got the Axe

but i do agree, why would anyone set the play back 6 or 7 yards, unless passing.

JPinMaryland
01-09-2007, 12:35 AM
I thought alot about that kicking on 3rd down thing. ANd in this situation it makes sense, after looking at what happened.

But most of the time,it doesnt make much sense does it? I mean most of the time if a kick is blocked and you manage to get it back you lost what 10-15 yards. I mean most of those are like a jail break.

ANd most of the time you dont even get the ball back. So by percentage you might get the ball back 40% of the time, and maybe get it back w/o losing ten yards maybe 25%??

But here they were so close losing ten yards means less.

Valuist
01-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Not too often. Probably has to do with the amount of money QBs make now and they don't want a 220 lb QB on the bottom of a pile of over 1000 pounds of defenders.

Unless of course, that "QB" is Jared Lorenzen.

cj
01-09-2007, 01:46 PM
The better option would be to yank the QB and just teach some big guy, like a Lorenzen, to take the snap and push it in.

delayjf
01-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Anything quick hitting like a fullback dive or a QB sneak. I don't know how many times I've seen teams run that deep hand off to the back only to get stuffed. When you do that you give the defense time to penetrate make a play behind the line of scrimmage.