PDA

View Full Version : The Value of Quiet

bigmack
01-06-2007, 01:00 AM
A number of challenging endeavors ask for you 'be quiet' to perform at your best.

Handicapping, golf, scuba, surfing, day trading, driving fast, hearing bad news, whatever.

By, 'quiet' I mean the stillness that you feel within the innermost part of yourself that feels little in the way of all that stuff that you're thinking of -- Simply 'feeling right' about what you're doing.

Big value in that believe or not.

parlay
01-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Are you talking about being in the zone?
In sport i have entered that hallowed ground
on a number of occassions, it is magical.
As a handicapper it is the euphoria i yearn for :cool:

Greyfox
01-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Om.

Tom
01-06-2007, 10:46 AM
How true, Mac....you can shout that from the rooftoops!

RBrowning
01-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Boy...it sure got quite in here.

Why you could almost measure it with an ohm meter.

PriceAnProbability
01-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Are you talking about being in the zone?
In sport i have entered that hallowed ground
on a number of occassions, it is magical.
As a handicapper it is the euphoria i yearn for :cool:

Would five cold trifectas in a row qualify as "the zone" or NYRA putting in too many AOC/N4x/100k races with five-horse fields?

bigmack
01-06-2007, 11:11 AM
In golf parlance Johnny Miller had to quit the game for a spell as he found himself standing over the ball and thinking about every detail of his stroke and what he needed to achieve and he simply overloaded himself with information.

It's happened to me and I've seen it happen to many. Going into the 15th-16th @ even par while playing 'quiet' golf and then thinking about playing scratch golf and dumping 2 in the water on the 17th.

As with handicapping & wagering. I've seen far too many go through all the data & bulid themsleves into a frenzy when it comes time to wager cause they have a certain level of expectation. When it's met they're validated when it's not they're shattered. An even keel is what I advocate. It keeps the mind clear as you make your wagering decision. Riddling oneself with all the details of the race can cause anxiousness. When you calmly go over every detail and make your decisions rationally the outcome is oftentimes your expectation.

On a side note: Anxiousness like people at a buffet - I want to say to a majority of them - CALM DOWN, THE FOOD AIN'T GOING NOWHERE

Tom
01-06-2007, 11:15 AM
The order of things should be:

Handicap

Drink heavily

Bet

PriceAnProbability
01-06-2007, 12:12 PM

Handicap

Drink heavily

Bet

wrong order.

banacek
01-06-2007, 12:14 PM

Handicap

Drink heavily

Bet

Lately mine has been handicap, bet, then drink heavily. Maybe I should try drink heavily, bet, handicap?

Dave Schwartz
01-06-2007, 12:25 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here it comes... I just could not resist.

Going into the 15th-16th @ even par

Yes, but I am sure this is a small sample. Nobody can shoot par consistently.

I mean, ask yourself, of the millions of golfers in the world, how many claim to be shooting par regularly?

Now, I know there are those PGA guys who think they are doing it but the sample size is really very small. When you look at the set of all golfers you will soon see it is impossible.

If you look at an entire career of tournaments with even the pros playing, what 40 per year? Even if they play 20 years that is only 800 tournements. They would need to play for about 80 years to get enough sample size to matter.

And what about Tiger Woods? Sure, he has won a lot of money but he is just a guy getting lucky. Eventually he will regress to the mean and show us that he is actually a 7-handicap (who needs to play from the short tee).

So, please, give up trying to break par, Mack. It is impossible.

Isn't that right Joe?

Dave

PriceAnProbability
01-06-2007, 12:34 PM
On a side note: Anxiousness like people at a buffet - I want to say to a majority of them - CALM DOWN, THE FOOD AIN'T GOING NOWHERE

Spoken like a man who has never seen me at a buffet table.

bigmack
01-06-2007, 12:52 PM
So, please, give up trying to break par, Mack. It is impossible.
Duly noted Mr. S or as in Reservoir Dogs, from now on you'll be referred to as: "Mr. Pink"

I tee it up it with guys that play 6-7 days a week and they're some damn fine golfers. What kills me is the guys that put little effort into the game and get frustrated that they're not within 28 of par at the end of 18.

I read a book on brain surgury once and I have the Milton Bradley game Operation - I think I'm ready to operate :rolleyes:

So 2 with handicappers that don't put the work into the game and have expectations far grander than they deserve. Except for the tote guys, they get what they deserve.

Overlay
01-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I read a book on brain surgury once and I have the Milton Bradley game Operation - I think I'm ready to operate.

Personally, I always make a point of staying at a Holiday Inn Express the night before I go to the track.

ezrabrooks
01-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Personally, I always make a point of staying at a Holiday Inn Express the night before I go to the track.

Never thought about that before.. Every trip I make to Oaklawn I stay at a Holiday Inn Express...and? Well, they better pass on me for their commercials..

Ez

Dave Schwartz
01-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Overlay,

Now, I never thought of that! A stroke of genius! Like a swimmer shaving off his hair to get a little more edge.

Mack,

You know, I could really take the anti-golf thing seriously. After all, I have no chance of breaking par, it is only logical, therefore, that nobody can.

I fail, therefore you must fail!

LOL - In all seriousness, (and all my little shots at Joe aside) on the topic of golf... I have really considered that I would like to take up the game. Is it possible for a guy in his mid-50s to begin playing and still become a good golfer? I mean good?

Dave

Dan Montilion
01-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Dave,

You could become a damn good golfer. Just watch out for that windmill hole its a killer.

bigmack
01-06-2007, 01:31 PM
I have really considered that I would like to take up the game. Is it possible for a guy in his mid-50s to begin playing and still become a good golfer? I mean good?
Depending on the course it's a delightful place to be. The vistas of the courses here as well as in Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells et al are wonderful. As are the courses up in your neck with Tahoe.

The toughest part of an older yank taking to the game is flexibility. Particularly in the back & shoulders. Try & bring your shoulders perpendicular to your body as you sit in the chair and see how far you can get without ending up in traction. In any event, start with a local pro so you don't pick-up early bad habits and see what your body wants to do with the game.

Grip the club as you would a tube of toothpaste, not to firm. Enjoy your surroundings and leave neurosis for family gatherings