PDA

View Full Version : Check your mail!!!

Secretariat
01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/nation/16380528.htm?source=rss&channel=belleville_nation

Bush quietly authorizes opening of citizens' mail
New York Daily News

WASHINGTON - President Bush has quietly claimed sweeping new powers to open Americans' mail without a judge's warrant, the New York Daily News has learned.

The president asserted his new authority when he signed a postal reform bill into law on Dec. 20. Bush then issued a "signing statement" that declared his right to open people's mail under emergency conditions.

That claim is contrary to existing law and contradicted the bill he had just signed, say experts who have reviewed it.

.................................................. .......

"Peace is our most important interest, and a recovery from debt." --Thomas Jefferson

skate
01-04-2007, 07:31 PM
ut oh, wadda i do now?

hcap
01-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Learn english?

JustRalph
01-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Learn english?
:lol: :lol:

Tom
01-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Relax, Sec....I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. The logistics of this prevents any abuse of it. But if they suspect OBL is mailing marhicng orders to Habiib at he Smelly Deli, go ahead and have a look-see.
BTW, try someting a little less biased than the Hooterville Democrat, or whatever that site was called. :lol:

Show Me the Wire
01-04-2007, 11:38 PM
CHECK YOUR MAIL.

Why is the check on the way?

Secretariat
01-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Tom,

I wanted to thank you for voting to keep me in here in that poll. But I do have a question. Why when many Republicans are questioning the President's signing statement decision on this no warrants for mail as he itnerprets the postal reform bill do you appear to back up the President once again?

I guess of all the people here you are the biggest enigma. Lefty would wipe GW's butt if asked. JR has strong issues with GW on immigration but for the most part seems to support most of his agenda.

What exactly is your stance on GW? You seem to want no warrants for anything he deems fit despite the 4th amendment.

And please don't give me the natl. security line again. We've fought two world wars, a civil war, multiple conflicts, and suddenly a couple of thugs (GW's words) get some knife cutters and get lucky NORAD is sleeping and GW's on vacation and we throw out the Bill of Rights?

Do you realize there's not been one muslim IED explosion on American soil since 911? This doesn't require an Einstein to smuggle or create, yet there has not been one yet millions of people have freely come in across our southern borders. Yet not one of these have planted an IED on our roads yet these same IEDs' are going off in Iraq daily.

So why do we suddenly need to open anyone's mail without warrant?

Show Me the Wire
01-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Tom,

I wanted to thank you for voting to keep me in here in that poll. But I do have a question. Why when many Republicans are questioning the President's signing statement decision on this no warrants for mail as he itnerprets the postal reform bill do you appear to back up the President once again?

I guess of all the people here you are the biggest enigma. Lefty would wipe GW's butt if asked. JR has strong issues with GW on immigration but for the most part seems to support most of his agenda.

What exactly is your stance on GW? You seem to want no warrants for anything he deems fit despite the 4th amendment.

And please don't give me the natl. security line again. We've fought two world wars, a civil war, multiple conflicts, and suddenly a couple of thugs (GW's words) get some knife cutters and get lucky NORAD is sleeping and GW's on vacation and we throw out the Bill of Rights?

Do you realize there's not been one muslim IED explosion on American soil since 911? This doesn't require an Einstein to smuggle or create, yet there has not been one yet millions of people have freely come in across our southern borders. Yet not one of these have planted an IED on our roads yet these same IEDs' are going off in Iraq daily.

So why do we suddenly need to open anyone's mail without warrant?

I understand this is a post directed to Tom. However, I am intrigued about your comment on national security and need to ask the following question.

How about those American Japanese in WWII? I wager they would have pleased to settle for their mail being read. Was it A democrat or republican administration during WWII?

Btw I would not have voted you off either, I just did not dignify the poll by gracing it with an answer.

Secretariat
01-05-2007, 12:38 AM
I understand this is a post directed to Tom. However, I am intrigued about your comment on national security and need to ask the following question.

How about those American Japanese in WWII? I wager they would have pleased to settle for their mail being read. Was it A democrat or republican administration during WWII?

Btw I would not have voted you off either, I just did not dignify the poll by gracing it with an answer.

I have no problem with mail being read, or phone calls being wiretapped. I just want the 4th amendment respected and a warrant required.

As to the Japanese interment I beleive it was the late President Ford who apolgized for that disgrace and yes it happened under FDR, and it was a Democratic mistake. This is irrelvant.

The Constitution really doesn't care what party is in power, it only asks that it be obeyed.

btw.. thanks for the note on the poll. I've been called a lot of things on here, but it's just discourse and emotion. No big deal.

Suff
01-05-2007, 12:58 AM

Asian Immigrants suffered long before WW2. The USA has paid $1.5 Billion in redress for the WW2 conduct. Who shall we send the Bill to for your support of this misconduct? Your Grandchildren? Thier Children?

The arrest, incaceration of Japanese Immigrants began in 1790, with the March 26th Immigration Act. Passed by Congress it stated that only white people could become citizens of the USA It directly prohibited Japanese or Chinese people from becoming citizens. 100's were rounded up and deported.

In 1873 they changed the law to include Africans and whites can be citizens, but prohibited Japanese from becoming citizens for 70 years. Many were arrested , incacerated and deported based on thier race.

On May 7th 1900 large protests by the white labor movement in California resulted in wide sweeping arrest's of 1000's of Japanese.

February 23, 1905
"The Japanese Invasion: The Problem of the Hour," reads the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle,

The Asiatic Exclusion League is formed in San Francisco
The San Francisco Board of Education passes a resolution to segregate children of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean ancestry from the majority population.

July 19, 1921
White vigilantes deport 580 Japanese laborers from California, driving them out by truck at gunpoint. Other incidents occur across California and in Oregon and Arizona.

November 13, 1922
The United States Supreme Court rules on the Ozawa case, reaffirming the ban on Japanese immigrants from becoming naturalized U.S. citizens. This ban would last until 1952.

Congress passes the Immigration Act of 1924 effectively ending all Japanese immigration to the U.S

Suff
01-05-2007, 01:04 AM

Both of those statements. The one minimizing the new law, and the one suggesting Japanese Americans would be pleased to Forfiet rights rather than be jailed are difficult to even respond to. I think you need to get out and sit down with some people and bounce your idea's off them. Get some feedback outside of a message board. Your not thinking properly.

Tom
01-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Tom,

I wanted to thank you for voting to keep me in here in that poll. I do not believe in censoring anyone - I fear no debate with anyone on any topic. I fear not being able to debate more than anything. Thorwing you outwould be defeat. I shall "stay the course" with you.! hehehe But I do have a question. Why when many Republicans are questioning the President's signing statement decision on this no warrants for mail as he itnerprets the postal reform bill do you appear to back up the President once again?
After all the uproar over wire tapping, no one has yet to show me anyone whose rights were violated, Same thing here - if we need to get information, I want us to get it. The logistics of opening lettes will be more than enough of a safeguard.

I back Bush in the war on terror. I cannot reconcile supporting a war and then backing off when the going gets tough. It is too late by then.

And please don't give me the natl. security line again. We've fought two world wars, a civil war, multiple conflicts, and suddenly a couple of thugs (GW's words) get some knife cutters and get lucky NORAD is sleeping and GW's on vacation and we throw out the Bill of Rights?You are being too simplistic. We never fought an enemy like this one before. this is a new kind of war. I remind you it has been 5 years since 9-11, but they waited 8 years to re-attack the WTC. Our enemy is patient. We just buted up a major plot aimed at LA by using water boarding. We have broken up other threats as well. We have to be right 100% of the time. I am willing to use all the tools we need to do that. You have seen many major terroists attacks in other parts of the world - the threats are out there. I do not agree with a lot of the crap we are doing, like airport security - utter nonsnse. You want to make planes safe - HAND OUT GUNS AT BOARDING - ARM EVERYONE ON BOARD.

Do you realize there's not been one muslim IED explosion on American soil since 911? This doesn't require an Einstein to smuggle or create, yet there has not been one yet millions of people have freely come in across our southern borders. Yet not one of these have planted an IED on our roads yet these same IEDs' are going off in Iraq daily. Not the same. We do not know what has already come over the border. We may be in for another big one, who knows?

So why do we suddenly need to open anyone's mail without warrant?Perhaps there is now a need we have uncoverd. Sec, it comes down to trusting that the right stuff will be done for the right reasons. Not easy, but I have seen nothing bad come from wire tapping and I don't see anything bad coming from this.

See above.
Sec, I understand your concern - I share it. But I thinkg we have far greater threats out there. The illegal immigration crap is far more a threat to us, even if not a single terroists sneaks in with them.

BTW, did yo hear that Bush has made an agreement wtih Mexico, that is there is a guest worker progaram or amnesty, all formerly illegal will get SS. That could be up to 100 million new peple sucking our money up.
I you guys want to impeach him for this, I will chip in for the legal fees.

Show Me the Wire
01-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Both of those statements. The one minimizing the new law, and the one suggesting Japanese Americans would be pleased to Forfiet rights rather than be jailed are difficult to even respond to. I think you need to get out and sit down with some people and bounce your idea's off them. Get some feedback outside of a message board. Your not thinking properly.

Sarcasm on my part. Really does not work too well off a keyboard. But I bet those folks would have rather had their mail read than be interned. The internment was a forfeiture of rights, a sacred one liberty.

Thanks for worrying about my mental health. Now if I was a certain poster I would spew forth the rhetoric amatuer psychologists abound on this board (sarcasm)