PDA

View Full Version : Secretariat & hcap... going, going, gone

dylbert
01-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I see the primary mission of this forum as Horse Racing topics. However, a lot of space is here is taken by two off-topic posters, Secretariat and hcap. Neither of these individuals regularly contribute to horse racing discussion.

So, to paraphrase The Clash, "should they stay or should they go?"

Please vote! Remember, your opinion counts!

banacek
01-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I thought PA ran this place.

PlanB
01-01-2007, 03:33 PM
WHO are you Dylbert to suggest SEC & HCAP should go?, and to cheapen the CLASH as some afterthought? SEC & HCAP are this board's super-EgOs, and why would us regulars follow your advice?

Tom
01-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Obviously, they should stay.
They are entitled to thier opinoins, even though they are wrong! :rolleyes:;)

As long there is an IGGY, there is no need to ban anyone, unlesss they really cross the line. I don't think either has done that. I do know both are players, and both have contributed to the HR side.

PlanB
01-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh Tom, when you post & wink my knees wobble.

boxcar
01-01-2007, 04:45 PM
There's value to both these fine gentlemen in the comic relief they provide. Where else can you go to see a Tragic Comedy continually unfold?

Boxcar

PlanB
01-01-2007, 04:49 PM
There's value to both these fine gentlemen in the comic relief they provide. Where else can you go to see a Tragic Comedy continually unfold?

Boxcar

hehe, I'm in total agreement BoXcaR. But is it "continually" or "continuosly"? Honestly I do NOT know.

Suff
01-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I was looking down at the total members ...3500, and thinking that there were 470 when I joined up and put this place on the map.:eek: :D

Message boards are some strange F'n things. No one should post in Off Topic unless your name and address are on file.

Indulto
01-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Diddlybert,
Imagine how surprised I was, after scanning those of your 118 posts-to-date that weren’t just picks, that I couldn’t find a single one that displayed even a fraction of the intelligence and knowledge that permeates those of the posters you would deprive us of.

PlanB
01-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Diddlybert,
Imagine how surprised I was, after scanning those of your 118 posts-to-date that weren’t just picks, that I couldn’t find a single one that displayed even a fraction of the intelligence and knowledge that permeates those of the posters you would deprive us of.

LOL, how right is truth? If anyone here, aside from PA, assumes the right to campaign against someone, they better have proof more than typed messages. I want to see fingerprints on an anthrax envelope. ps: Does anyone know of anyone whose died of 2nd hand smoke? I read the NYT obit, but never did see that. Also, to convince me I wanna see the insurance policy. lol.

Tom
01-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Diddlybert,

You lose a photo today? ;)

BIG RED
01-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Freedom of speech ?

Dave Schwartz
01-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Wait!

I voted incorrectly!

I thought it said keep and I got the other one.

PA please fix, or change my vote.

Dave

Suff
01-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Wait!

I voted incorrectly!

I thought it said keep and I got the other one.

PA please fix, or change my vote.

Dave

I was'nt even going to vote, but I did, and voted the other way to offset your vote.

I see my man Trijack wants to give them the boot!! :lol: Jack, jack , jack what gives? :D Thats rough man.

chickenhead
01-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Pretty lame dylbert, pretty lame

dylbert
01-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Diddlybert,
Imagine how surprised I was, after scanning those of your 118 posts-to-date that weren’t just picks, that I couldn’t find a single one that displayed even a fraction of the intelligence and knowledge that permeates those of the posters you would deprive us of. Thanks for personal attack... and Happy New Year! I am expressing my opinion with this poll -- but, it seems taboo to some of more "open-minded" types here... Where's my freedom of speech? LOL...

PlanB
01-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks for personal attack... and Happy New Year! I am expressing my opinion with this poll -- but, it seems taboo to some of more "open-minded" types here... Where's my freedom of speech? LOL...

You type like bEFUDDEM.

chickenhead
01-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I would think in the interests of fairness..anyone who opens up a campaign to remove someone, must also include an option to have themselves removed...just so the populace here at PA has a real choice.

turn it into a thunderdome, as it were...dylbert v. hcap + sec

line will be posted shortly

dylbert
01-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I would think in the interests of fairness..anyone who opens up a campaign to remove someone, must also include an option to have themselves removed...just so the populace here at PA has a real choice.

turn it into a thunderdome, as it were...dylbert v. hcap + sec

line will be posted shortlyThis is great fun! I do not possess power or ability to remove either of these people. This is non-binding referendum masked as poll.

Great thing so far -- I didn't know about IGNORE feature. Poll is helping me create superior iggy list. Thanks.

chickenhead
01-01-2007, 06:30 PM
this is for you

Snag
01-01-2007, 06:30 PM
This is great fun! I do not possess power or ability to remove either of these people. This is non-binding referendum masked as poll.

Great thing so far -- I didn't know about IGNORE feature. Poll is helping me create superior iggy list. Thanks.

dylbert, please add me to your ignore list. As much as the two don't have a basis for alot of their points, they deserve a post. Your poll is the basis for an ignore of you.

lsbets
01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Why would you want to kick people off the board simply because you think they're wrong? If that were the way things were run there would only be about two people allowed to post picks.

fergie
01-01-2007, 06:53 PM
It's New Year's Day

In the immortal words of Rodney King--" can't we all just get along?"
Fergie:cool:

Indulto
01-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for personal attack... and Happy New Year! I am expressing my opinion with this poll -- but, it seems taboo to some of more "open-minded" types here... Where's my freedom of speech? LOL...Your poll is a personal attack on hcap and Sec. You expressed your opinion and I expressed mine. So far nobody has suggested that you shouldn’t be able to post.

dylbert
01-01-2007, 07:12 PM
this is for youStanley Kubrick would be proud!

dylbert
01-01-2007, 07:17 PM
dylbert, please add me to your ignore list. As much as the two don't have a basis for alot of their points, they deserve a post. Your poll is the basis for an ignore of you.Your wish has been granted. I see you are big fan of "interesting article about economy" article. It is great work of fiction because it contains little or no factual economic information.

Tee
01-01-2007, 07:17 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=5,48,55

Anymore, I use the above & do not have a problem with Sec & Hcap.

Tom
01-01-2007, 08:57 PM
*sigh*

1 down, 364 to go!:eek:

Steve 'StatMan'
01-01-2007, 09:44 PM
The key is that this is the Off Topic forum, not one of the racing forums. In fact, the Off-Topic Sports and Computers forums were started to spare Off Topic readers from having to read the many political arguments in the general Off Topic forum.

So, sure, I disagree with them, and get frustrated with them. But, this is off-topic.

OTOH, political discussion (including politically aggrating avatars and tag lines) are pretty much banned, and peer discouraged, in the Horse Racing Discussion forums.

It is also very important to not let ones frustration and or posting/arguing styles spill over into the Horse Racing Forums. Keeps the experience more pleasant, as we can focus and enjoy on what we share in common, and perhaps gain understanding and some repect for others, at least as hanndicappers, even if we disagree with their religion or politics.

njcurveball
01-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Any questions?

dylbert
01-01-2007, 10:51 PM
The key is that this is the Off Topic forum, not one of the racing forums. In fact, the Off-Topic Sports and Computers forums were started to spare Off Topic readers from having to read the many political arguments in the general Off Topic forum.

So, sure, I disagree with them, and get frustrated with them. But, this is off-topic.

OTOH, political discussion (including politically aggrating avatars and tag lines) are pretty much banned, and peer discouraged, in the Horse Racing Discussion forums.

It is also very important to not let ones frustration and or posting/arguing styles spill over into the Horse Racing Forums. Keeps the experience more pleasant, as we can focus and enjoy on what we share in common, and perhaps gain understanding and some repect for others, at least as hanndicappers, even if we disagree with their religion or politics.Thanks, StatMan -- a breath of fresh air... My point is that this is Horse Racing Forum. Yes, I appreciate off-topic areas. But, several posters just whack away at their political/social agendas without any real participation in horse racing discussion. Let them find political board.

I know they are frustrated with bankruptcy of Air America. And, us evil Republicans are hoarding all the country's wealth. OK -- I will remove my tongue from cheek.

My amazement is folks that see these two individuals as comic relief. Their misguided, inaccuracy-filled posts are disservice to good readers here.

dylbert
01-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Any questions?No questions... You ain't Congress and this Forum is not government. So, these individuals, as well as you and I, have no preordained, prescribed, or protected right to freedom of speech here.

njcurveball
01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Sorry, I wasn't there the day they taught Geography. I was under the impression Louisiana was part of the U.S.

Let me give you the T.O.S. for this board. You might want to take a look at it.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this Discussion Board or any entity associated with this forum. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

So if I can "dumb that down" for you it basically means that if YOU feel a posted message is objectionable you DO have rights.

I know I ate a lot this holiday, but I doubt I am big enough to be mistaken for Congress. :lol:

However, I do believe in the U.S. I still have the right to free speech. Even if it is on an anonymous Internet BBS where I have the choice to read other peoples posts or simply ignore them.

I love the IGNORE button. You should try it sometime. Please start with me.

ciao!

Ponyplayr
01-01-2007, 11:22 PM
How will we know if George stands A CHANCE OF RE-ELECTION IF H-CAP GOES?

I would be lost without him:lol: :lol: :lol:

dylbert
01-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Sorry, I wasn't there the day they taught Geography. I was under the impression Louisiana was part of the U.S.

Let me give you the T.O.S. for this board. You might want to take a look at it.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this Discussion Board or any entity associated with this forum. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

So if I can "dumb that down" for you it basically means that if YOU feel a posted message is objectionable you DO have rights.

I know I ate a lot this holiday, but I doubt I am big enough to be mistaken for Congress. :lol:

However, I do believe in the U.S. I still have the right to free speech. Even if it is on an anonymous Internet BBS where I have the choice to read other peoples posts or simply ignore them.

I love the IGNORE button. You should try it sometime. Please start with me.

ciao!You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. -- from Terms of Service

Your remark about Geography & Louisiana some might consider defamatory.
Your remark about "dumb that down" some might consider abusive.
Your remark about IGNORE button consider it accepted.

Light
01-01-2007, 11:53 PM
This forum has its own eco-system. Remove those 2 guys and you create a vacuum for those opposing points of view. They take the words right out of my mouth and give me more time to "horse around". Believe me,you'd rather talk politics with them than with me.

bigmack
01-02-2007, 12:47 AM
This forum has its own eco-system. Remove those 2 guys and you create a vacuum for those opposing points of view.
Quite the thread dylbar. Big mistake but not the end of the world.
Cut & run as there's nothing here to defend.

The board without feeding off of each other would be like a grey man against a grey wall. The feeding sometimes is robust with the involvement of HCAP & Sec and some us like their participation along with Lights.

Step off this thread and it will die the quick death that it's due.

BIG RED
01-02-2007, 03:04 AM
'If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen'

I read off-topic here when I have the time, like now. 99% of the time I'm over the other forums. Hcp & Sec are both very intelligant, misguided to me, but that's my opinion. Off-topic would be pretty boring without them and others.

When I read anything here about todays news or politics, I get BOTH sides, which is what I am looking for. I always like to hear the other side. Kind of like horseracing, I listen to the Dark Side also!

Ponyplayr
01-02-2007, 03:13 AM
Your poll is a personal attack on hcap and Sec. You expressed your opinion and I expressed mine. So far nobody has suggested that you shouldn’t be able to post.
Indulto What would we do without you? God Bless you...Happy New Year.

Indulto
01-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Indulto What would we do without you? God Bless you...Happy New Year.PP,
Thanks, I think.

I am indeed blessed with each happy new day and privileged to interact with this stimulating on-line community. It just so happens that hcap and Sec are among the posters I’ve come to admire here, but I hope I’d have responded in similar fashion regardless of which poster(s) were subjected to the kind of thinking that started this thread.

Happy New Year to you also. I’ve enjoyed many of your posts and look forward to more of the same.

luv_america
01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Dylbert,

I'm probably in disagreement with most every word these guys say, but cannot participate in their censure. I think its important for people who have beliefs and ideas to express them and argue them in the court of public opinion. I welcome their views, especially since most of the time (IMHOO) they represent a perfect foil for my arguments.

Now if the vote was 46, I'd be inclined to go with you since he doesn't contribute ideas, only statements about vegatables that I don't understand.

JPinMaryland
01-02-2007, 05:16 PM
which ones don't you understand? I think I get most of them. Perhaps beets are a little odd, being they taste like corn. I mean, what the hell? if they taste like corn I'd rather have corn. So there's one I guess.

Trijack
01-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Suff

I figured the poll was to rib those two a little. So I voted to oust them. Just trying to make them feel good. BUT having said that (the liberals favorite word).
I would hate to go through life as a liberal. :jump:

Dave Schwartz
01-02-2007, 05:44 PM
The way I see this is that we are part of a society. Every society has some members that fit in less than others. People "fit in" based upon the "likeness" to others in the society.

When someone is "enough like us" they "fit in" and when they are not "enough like us" they don't.

We, as individuals, have our own thresholds of "tolerance" for how far someone may deviate from our personal "mean" before we say, "He doesn't fit in with me."

I think that most people in our little closed society have a reasonably broad "threshold of fit" (i.e. tolerance).

The problem (as I see it) comes from the people who have very little fit in the horse racing area (which is our prime concern) AND step against our personal grain in the political arena. In other words, if you have nothing to offer in the way of handicapping likeness (i.e. don't contribute) and I have to listen to your constant trashing of my beliefs you have no value to me.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
(and recall that I am the guy that was dumb enough to click the wrong poll item)

dylbert
01-02-2007, 05:50 PM
'If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen'

I read off-topic here when I have the time, like now. 99% of the time I'm over the other forums. Hcp & Sec are both very intelligant, misguided to me, but that's my opinion. Off-topic would be pretty boring without them and others.

When I read anything here about todays news or politics, I get BOTH sides, which is what I am looking for. I always like to hear the other side. Kind of like horseracing, I listen to the Dark Side also!Thank you for Harry S Truman quotation -- "Give'Em Hell Harry" was great American, President and decision maker. He did not hesitate to drop atomic bombs to speed ending of World War II.

I prefer primary news sources such as AP, FoxNews, MSNBC -- rather than filters such as Sec and hcap -- for my hard news stories. And, I still do not find their posts vaguely entertaining either.

46zilzal
01-02-2007, 05:56 PM
they continue to expose the outrageous crap going on that has led to reponses like this.

banacek
01-02-2007, 06:04 PM
The problem (as I see it) comes from the people who have very little fit in the horse racing area (which is our prime concern) AND step against our personal grain in the political arena. In other words, if you have nothing to offer in the way of handicapping likeness (i.e. don't contribute) and I have to listen to your constant trashing of my beliefs you have no value to me.

That is something that I don't get either. I brought this topic up about a year ago - using boxcar as an example. Well, boxcar killed his avatar and came to the handicapping side and shared a lot of interesting stuff for us. I appreciated it. He's back to the "other side" now, I guess, but he showed himself to be more than worthy for his contributions (and I assume he contributed years before I showed up. I also should have assumed he liked the track by his name!).

There are some who have never contributed on the handicapping side (both on the left and right probably) and I just wonder, do they have any interest in handicapping and horse racing or are they just here to tell us their beliefs. If I wanted to give my political beliefs, I could do it here. But I certainly wouldn't go to the TiddelywinksAdvantage board to do it.

chickenhead
01-02-2007, 06:31 PM
just as a preventative measure: (under these rules who knows maybe someone will come after me next... )

I haven't posted much in racing land for a long time. In my defense, I already posted everything I know! If you missed that post, tough titty. To post any more now I'd have to make shit up....and I reserve that for OT.

Once I learn something new, I'll let you all know...

Tom
01-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Light
This forum has its own eco-system. Remove those 2 guys and you create a vacuum for those opposing points of view.

I thought thier points of view were coming out of a vacuum??:lol:

njcurveball
01-02-2007, 07:55 PM
I have probably very few channels on my TV compared to some. I think it works out to about 65 or so. Some I watch, others I go right by.

The thing I am missing in this thread is why the poster and others simply do not either ignore the people they dont like, or go by the threads they feel are not worthwhile.

This has become very similar to talk radio when the host starts the show with "I am not going to talk about _______________"

Then the next 5 or 6 callers want to talk about ___________.

I think all threads should end after "Last Word" Tom gives the punchline! :lol:

Indulto
01-02-2007, 08:39 PM
just as a preventative measure: (under these rules who knows maybe someone will come after me next... )

I haven't posted much in racing land for a long time. In my defense, I already posted everything I know! If you missed that post, tough titty. To post any more now I'd have to make shit up....and I reserve that for OT.

Once I learn something new, I'll let you all know...To me its not the quantity (me) or quality (you) that counts, but the passion and/or insight generated. As horseracing is all about having opinions and convictions, we're by definition an opinionated bunch with strong beliefs.

We get more feedback regarding our accuracy on the racing side. We widen our horizons in off-topic where elections don't determine winners and losers, but rather distribution of discontent. ;)

As I enjoyed your pick six thread and your many thoughtful contributions to off-topic, I hope to see more of your posts on the racing side. More often than not, when you've found something to be of interest, so have I even when I didn't agree with your position.

My impression from off-topic discussions here is that more horseplayers tend to congregate nearer to the right end of the political spectrum than near the left, with very few in between. Perhaps that's due to the entrepreneurial nature of the game, but there must be more to it.

Tom
01-02-2007, 08:52 PM
More to it....yup. Good players have good intellect, ergo, they are conservatives! Losers tend to flock towards socialism so they can eat. :lol:

betchatoo
01-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Hah! I've been betting liberally and winning liberally :cool: