PDA

View Full Version : Data files

Handiman
01-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Aside from the obvious connection that the Allways files have with the Allways program, and the other program specific files have wth their programs, is there any compelling reason to use other data files other than the TSN .50 files? Long sentence I know. But I have looked at the data structure of the procapps, bris, Tsn and a couple of others, and they are all almost identical.

I do acknowledge that Procaps has a power number and the bris files likewise. But other than that, I don't see much diference. I haven't actualy compared them line for line though. In the programs I have written, the procapps and TSN files work equally well.

By the way. HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!

Handi :)

DJofSD
01-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Knee jerk response: if you're not using the BRIS Power rating or gleaning the other vendor specific data/ratings, in theory, there shouldn't be any reason to use one supplier over the other. However, there has been some controversy in the past about the accuracy of the data.

Others will probably have a better, more detailed response.

cj
01-01-2007, 02:34 PM
If you want all the files, you can get ProCaps unlimited for 59.99 per month.

With DRF Formulator, the price is a little more for the basic files, but you have to pay it all at once. F4 files are more pricey. I still prefer DRF because I think they are the best out there. Obviously much of the data is the same, but I prefer the Beyers, Tomlinsons, and trainer stats in DRF.

Red Knave
01-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Another thing to consider is the quality of the data.

HDW keeps their data as clean as they can and they react when they see something wonky. Not all providers do this.

raybo
01-01-2007, 03:01 PM
The $.50 TSN files don't have RR or CR if those are numbers you are interested in using. I use them, so I download the Bris MultiCAP files at $2 per card as a silver member if you aren't at least a silver member they are $5. TSN, I believe, has a more expensive file that also contains them. But, you're right, the format for both Bris and TSN are identical.

Dave Schwartz
01-01-2007, 03:04 PM
And another thing about the HDW data...

If there is a problem, they actually go back and fix it! I do not believe the other providers are prepared to go back and (say) regenerate a week of races at two or three tracks in order to make your database "right."

IMHO, You get what you pay for.

It also depends upon where you are coming from as a player. Why should a casual player who plays maybe 20-30 days per year and (truthfully) is more concerned about being competitive than being profitable spend huge amounts of money on data or software?

However, if you are a serious player, and winning really matters, then you should be using the best software (for you) and the best data that you can afford.

Dave Schwartz

BillW
01-01-2007, 03:13 PM
The $.50 TSN files don't have RR or CR if those are numbers you are interested in using. I use them, so I download the Bris MultiCAP files at $2 per card as a silver member if you aren't at least a silver member they are $5. TSN, I believe, has a more expensive file that also contains them. But, you're right, the format for both Bris and TSN are identical.

TSN Procap files ($59/month) have them

Kelso
01-01-2007, 10:31 PM
The TSN website and products are virtually identical with those of Brisnet ... except, perhaps, for the 50-cent files referenced in this thread. I'm assuming Bris is the parent. Why is there a separate TSN operation?

Thank you, and Happy New Year to all.

(And PA ... thank you for this very interesting, informative and entertaining website.)

BillW
01-01-2007, 10:35 PM
The TSN website and products are virtually identical with those of Brisnet ... except, perhaps, for the 50-cent files referenced in this thread. I'm assuming Bris is the parent. Why is there a separate TSN operation?

Thank you, and Happy New Year to all.

(And PA ... thank you for this very interesting, informative and entertaining website.)

They both are the same company. TSN uses Equibase style pace and speed figures. Bris uses DRF speed figs and proprietary pace figs.

Ponyplayr
01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
IMHO, You get what you pay for. Amen Dave.$100 a month...How can you lose.

ranchwest
01-01-2007, 11:53 PM
IMHO, You get what you pay for. Amen Dave.$100 a month...How can you lose.

By having a profit of under $100 a month.

Ponyplayr
01-02-2007, 12:10 AM
By having a profit of under $100 a month.
Hmm..If your cost is $100 a month..How can you PROFIT if you earn less than $100 per month?

singunner
01-02-2007, 02:36 AM
Would anyone be so kind as to link the sites listed? I hadn't heard of HDW. I'm looking for comma-delimited files though, and it doesn't seem like they have those.

BillW
01-02-2007, 02:41 AM
www.bris.com/

www.tsnhorse.com/

www.horsedata.com/

They are all primarily .csv files

singunner
01-02-2007, 02:44 AM
Thanks.

raybo
01-02-2007, 07:21 PM
They both are the same company. TSN uses Equibase style pace and speed figures. Bris uses DRF speed figs and proprietary pace figs.

That's news to me. Bris claims their speed figures are figured by Brisnet. I even have their distance variables used in conjunction with beaten lengths. If what you say is true, I must say, I wasn't aware of it. But then, I haven't looked at the DRF in a very long time. Nor, do I use the speed figures from either place other than to see why the public is betting on the horses they are supporting.

BillW
01-02-2007, 07:33 PM
That's news to me. Bris claims their speed figures are figured by Brisnet. I even have their distance variables used in conjunction with beaten lengths. If what you say is true, I must say, I wasn't aware of it. But then, I haven't looked at the DRF in a very long time. Nor, do I use the speed figures from either place other than to see why the public is betting on the horses they are supporting.

You're right - they have both DRF SR/TV and their own speed figs. - it's been a few years since I've used them :)

njcurveball
01-02-2007, 07:34 PM
50 cent files sound like they are the best deal.

Yet with HDW, you can easily download 12 tracks a day for 30 days. That would be 360 files at the cost of around $120. That is less than 35 cents a file.

That cost also includes results and programs like HSH and HTR include exports as well.

The trainer data is a siamese twin to the DRF. The Cramer speed figures are also either very close, slightly better, or slightly worse than the Beyers (depending on who you talk to).

Some programs like HTR have ratings for Pedigree which are much better than Tomlinson and not available to the general public.

If you are prepared to buy 10 racing forms a month than it is definitely worth it.

If you only go out on special days like Derby Day and the Breeders Cup. Then stick to the printed form.

Dave made the best point. HDW will not "just accept" errors like many of the other providers. They will fix them and even if it is after the fact, it makes a difference having the correct data in your database.

Jim