PDA

View Full Version : All_Weather Surface

linrom1
01-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I am getting ready to re-start my database again and I was wondering how do others treat (A) surface designation. I have ProCaps data files and noticed that they still classify (A) as dirt.

cj
01-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I treat it as a third surface. If I had to pick dirt or turf, I would say it is closer to turf. Sprints play similar to dirt, but then again, they do on turf as well. Routes are much more turf like than dirt.

jagerfury
01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Is all-weather the same as the new poly track surface being used at Hollywood Park?

mhrussell
01-02-2007, 12:49 PM
What about differences between Cushion Track and Polytrack? Would those be worth considering in a database? Any other 'flavors' of artificial track surfaces out there that are being considered that you would want to separate out?

If you are starting a new database, maybe you initially include fields for polytrack, cushion track, etc. rather than just one field for 'all weather' surfaces. Then a few years from now, if it proves not to be significant, consolidate these data later.

Lefty
01-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Jager, HOL is using Cushion Trk not Polytrack. Gordon Jones says Cushion Track more Speed favoring than Polytrak.

Hosshead
01-03-2007, 02:51 AM
Thanks for passing that on Lefty. Interesting to hear that from Gordon.
If that's true, and more tracks decide to go artificial, I'd rather it be Cushion than Poly.
You must have heard him say that at either Sam's Town or on the radio.

Lefty
01-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Hoss, on the Radio. Don't drive anymore so only get to JN. Gordon used to come in JN once in awhile and we'd have a conversation; but haven't seen him in a couple yrs.
Interesting to note that with all the accolades Hol Cushion trk is getting, the next meet at Delmar will be on the dreaded Polytrack. Go figure...

cj
01-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Jager, HOL is using Cushion Trk not Polytrack. Gordon Jones says Cushion Track more Speed favoring than Polytrak.

I would tend to disagree. Surely speed did better, as most horses in SoCal have been trained for years to gun, gun, gun. I find it pretty much the same if you consider the horses competing over the surface. Check out the stakes routes at Hollywood this year.

linrom1
01-06-2007, 09:40 AM
So other databasers are reclassifying raw data to create a new surface for ALL-Weather types. I think that further break down of All-Weather types would be similar to Dirt off-track types. For example All-Weather: Cushion, and Poly as in Dirt: fast, sloppy etc.

Tom
01-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Agree Linron1, there could be a whole new world of horses for courses developing. This is, IMHO, a great thing. It is the closest thing to the good old days, when race conditions were not in the form - you had to get them from charts and keep records, and Beyers were all in Andy's little black Compostiion book. This and turf rail placement are my new track buddies.:cool: (And I don't have to buy them beer when I win!)

Lefty
01-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Prob. is, DRF, so far, does not differentiate between Polytrack and Cushion. Both just get the A. There's also 2 more types of artificial trks that may be used somewhere. One is Taffeta Trk, and I think some N. CA trks maybe installing it, and one other, whose name i haven't heard.

cj
01-06-2007, 11:53 AM
That isn't really a problem. They never differntiated between Santa Anita dirt and Suffolk dirt either. I'm not finding the cushion track and polytrack very different at all to be honest, but if I were, it is a pretty easy thing to program in. You have to do a little work to stay ahead. Once it is in DRF, it makes it harder to win.

tup14
01-30-2007, 08:49 AM
O-Yes it is different some of the horses just plain dont like it. There is a whole different track bias. Some programs we use have to be modified to work. It will take some time to learn all the track bias. And every track is different.

That isn't really a problem. They never differntiated between Santa Anita dirt and Suffolk dirt either. I'm not finding the cushion track and polytrack very different at all to be honest, but if I were, it is a pretty easy thing to program in. You have to do a little work to stay ahead. Once it is in DRF, it makes it harder to win.

Valuist
01-30-2007, 10:11 AM

I agree. It seems that if a horse shows it likes (or dislikes) either Poly or Cushion, it will behave similarly on the other. Good WO form translates well at TP; good Kee form translated well at Hol.