PDA

View Full Version : Watching Races on HDTV and Calibration

Turfday
12-31-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm watching the races on two relatively new Panasonic HDTV's and using Dish satellite as my signal. I know the races on HRTV and TVG are not broadcast in high definition.

I'm not unhappy with the picture that I'm getting but I have heard that getting your HDTV's calibrated can really make a difference in picture quality.

Is this actually the case and can calibration really make a difference whether the program is actually being broadcast in high def (such as a network TV show) or from a non-high def signal such as the ones coming from HRTV and TVG ?

Or is it much adieu about nothing?

PaceAdvantage
12-31-2006, 08:45 PM
If your set is relatively new, I wouldn't bother. This is just a guess, but I think the older, rear-projection HDTVs (I own one) would benefit the most from calibration, and by calibration, I assume you mean having a tech-guy come in and do all sorts of stuff that would scare the crap out of mere mortals like you and me....lol

I did buy the AVIA calibration DVD and did that stuff on my own, but I take it by your post you're looking for something a little more detailed.....

Bottom line is, a non-HDTV signal on a large screen HDTV set is never going to look all that great no matter what you do....

Turfday
12-31-2006, 08:52 PM
I've been reading a little about this on the internet. But from what you said it perhaps is much adieu about nothing.

rrbauer
12-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Make sure that your Dish receiver signal is setup to match your TV resolution.

That is 720 or 1080 resolution and the scanning technique, I or P, employed by your TV.