PDA

View Full Version : Getting wiped

BIG RED
12-31-2006, 08:04 AM
It just happened again. I hope I put this right, this is getting to be a pia!

I will be online with, say, 3 windows open with several tabs going at once. My acct, youbet, forum chat, etc. All things I have to log into. Then, whoooosh, I lose everything. All windows gone, in a nano second, wiped. Now I have to go set everything up again, passwords, log ins etc. It's a pain and really interupting my day. This has happened several times in last couple of weeks.

Note: This could be some info to help? When I close my last window, sometimes there is an error, it closes out like crap too. So I checked what they had to say, and it came up a Verizon Yahoo Browser problem. Went to site to 'repair' it, and it said I am totally up to date and nothing is wrong! Since I have DSL from verizon, I had to choose this yahoo or msn homes. Any ideas? Is it them or maybe my computer? Thanks in advance.

michiken
12-31-2006, 08:12 AM
As long as you have an internet connection, you shouldn't need a specific Yayhoo browser to connect.

It's probably Verizon's way of making $ off you by steering you to their search.

Have you tried Mozilla Firefox (http://mozilla.com/)?

Are you protecting your machine by running Adaware? Spybot? Zone Alarm Firewall? AVG?

BIG RED
12-31-2006, 08:29 AM
I have firefox, but can't use it for youbet. I use ff for one window with several tabs, but it too will get wiped.

I do have adware going, and I spend the time each am and clean up this entire computer before I start my day.

It tells me to login verizon at start up. I have tried not doing that in IE, and still get the net. But, it too, gets wiped. A real pain that I'm trying to figure out. :mad:

DJofSD
12-31-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm thinking this could be some kind of memory corruption issue, either some kind of random memory overly or perhaps some flakey memory chips.

BIG RED
12-31-2006, 10:28 AM
If I recall correctly, it happens only when I click to change a page or a window. It hasn't gone, say like now, during typing a reply.

Ponyplayr
12-31-2006, 01:19 PM
A few weeks ago I installed the Yahoo toolbar...Bad things started to happen.

It was a battle between Google and Yahoo for control. i couldn't pull up web pages..I was getting ISP failures...All sorts of problems. To resolve the problems I dumped Yahoo..problem solved..

JustRalph
12-31-2006, 02:32 PM
red, how much ram? when everything closes at once, you are out of memory or you have a memory overwrite that is resetting your memory. Any application stored in memory will disappear, sometimes it is application specific, but if all windows are from your browser..........you get the point.

How much ram. How often do you reboot? I assume Winxp?

BIG RED
01-01-2007, 05:00 AM
Ralph, new computer (3wks), 512 ram ( I know, should have got the 1G) 93% free space sound right?

But there is nothing on it, still in process of loading everything in it. I think ponyplyr may have a point, has something to do with the Yahoo set up. I chose that set-up because I remember a friend had the msn side, nothing but problems. I guess I'll see if I can start from the beginning with verizon again, and re-read it.

What is a memory overwrite?

BIG RED
01-01-2007, 05:08 AM
:lol:

I just realized the title of this thread, and on new years eve, has a total new meaning :D

DJofSD
01-01-2007, 09:30 AM
What is a memory overwrite?

Without getting into the generalities of any virtual storage operating system, a memory overwrite is when a location in memory is written to that does not belong to a particular program. Program "A" overwrote memory that actually is used by program "B".

When you are running many different applications, one of the functions the operating system provides is keeping all of the locations that are used by one program separate from all the others. If a program "lies" to the operating system or uses system services that gives it access to all of storage then does something wrong, it often results in the wrong locations being used. And if those misused locations are the target of a write operation then bye-bye, they're permanently changed -- much to the detriment of the real user of the storage.

BIG RED
01-01-2007, 11:07 AM
thanks, it's good to know the meaning of things.

I just dumped the whole thing and am going to use FF & IE by itself for awhile, see if anything happens like it did before. No problems so far, and no problems closing out. Hope it was just that browser.

speedking
01-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Red, I'm having similar problems and also have Verizon DSL. I am set to the msn page and cannot use Firefox because I need the YouBet video (TVG sucks).

I have a fairly new Dell 1705 with a core duo processor, 2gb memory and an 80gb 7200rpm hard drive. With numerous windows open (pinnacle, youbet, PA, multiple data tabs) and video running, a couple times a day everything freezes, just locks up and I get the MS window saying that a problem has been encountered and it must shut down. I also have the youbet video freezing a few times a day. Every time things shut down I need to reboot. I delete temp. files a few times a day just to be safe.

As it is the computer seems to have slowed down a bit even though it checks out clean on my scans. I use Spysweeper and Bitdefender for all my protection. Does anything seem out of line here? Thanks.

speedking

BIG RED
01-05-2007, 11:03 AM
speed, haven't had one problem yet. I think the ver./yahoo must be loaded with their crap. I removed it from computer and just use a regular IE browser. So far, so good :ThmbUp:

I thought you had to use theirs, but you don't

speedking
01-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks Red...Hope it all stays sound for you!

Vigors
01-05-2007, 01:19 PM
.....same-0, same-o over here: Verizon DSL ,Sportsbet (for making wager's and Philly Phone Bet for the odd's board...(I also open into MSN )and just as sure as
God made little green apple's, when I have a prime play...EVERYTHING
FREEZE'S or DISAPPEAR'S.....then I have to RE-DO EVERYTHING !!!!

There's just not enough Valium's in my medicene cabinete to deal with
this problem, however, since I have saved more then I've won by
being shut out, I'm not going to start "Pissing & Moaning"............ YET.

And since this problem seem's somewhat commenplace, I won't be going
through the "hum-a hum-a's" (ala Jackie Gleason) and losing sleep over
the computer problem's ?

I have all the spyware yada yada AND go through the ritual of cleaning
EVERYTHING at least TWICE a day. I even did a simple "restore"
2 day's ago ( count 'em )

I guess I'll just store this problem under "the price of playing poker
just went up".....

Look at it this way...." Misery love's company"

P.S. I also do "Crap-Cleaner" about a dozen times throughout a
playing session of wagering during the day.

Vigors
01-05-2007, 02:54 PM
.....I'd suggest re-doing everything WHENEVER you'll be passing a race or
two...that way it probably won't go out on an important wager.....
"get it before it get's you"

Good Luck

BIG RED
01-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I already dumped them, just make sure you don't sign into them. I do my email thru FF, and I haven't had a problem since. I have 3 windows w/ 13 tabs going right now, NP! Dump their browser :ThmbUp: