PDA

View Full Version : Blinkers and Race Shape

Dan H
12-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Prior to the LaBrea Stakes (Santa Anita, Race 8 on 12/30/06) Jeff Siegel (HRTV) mentioned blinkers on one of the entries in relation to the running styles of other entries. I was only half-tuned in, but it got me thinking ...

Does the trainer use blinkers on front runners (to mask other closers)?
Does the trainer use blinkers on stalkers (to focus them forward)?
Does the trainer use blinkers on closers (for whatever)?

Is there more to blinkers than a physical device to focus the horse?

Other than a positive handicapping angle (first-time use), can the presence of blinkers indicate or confirm a particular running style desired by the entry?

Blinkers are a new handicapping factor to me.

DanH

JPinMaryland
12-30-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not aware of a particular running style associated with blinkers but not sure....

The basic thinking seems to be to put them on horses that run into, lean into or other wise bump into other horses. But sometimes it doesnt help as the horse is klutzy to start with and now keeps running into horses that he doesnt see. Bob and John is like that, he seems to find trouble everywhere on the track.

AwolAtPA
12-31-2006, 01:26 AM
hi Dan,

I can not answer your '..Does Trainer..' questions but expect that a survey of trainers would report that SOMETIMES all three of your questions would be yes.

I have a personal bias AGAINST the first time blinkers because I find this type of horse are usually overbet. The common knowledge is that the trainer is changing the equipment to try to fix a problem with the horse.

Notice that a Blinkers-OFF type horse is not likely to be overbet but you will find some nice prices since the public (and TV folks) do not see BlinkersOFF as a statement by the trainer decided ..well that did not work.. so, back to without blinkers.

so, consider taking time to research a bet using Blinker ON--or--OFF. IF you split the groups into subgroups by WHY changed or distance or surface, ETC, then you will end up with a SMALL collection of races that will be difficult to be comfortable with the betting history.

duane

PS: do a Search of PA for many good statements about Blinkers